• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Gary Oak was the nice guy all along.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

TundraCanine

Shizuku
    Years
    In the original Pokémon Red/Blue, when you encounter your rival in Lavender Town he asks whether or not you know what it's like to have one of your Pokémon die. At this point in the game, he no longer has his Raticate that he used in previous battles. Your rival battle before this took place aboard the S.S. Anne. Your rival's Raticate sustained serious injuries from the battle… but, because crowding and confusion on the luxury liner, he was unable to make it to a Pokémon Center in time and the Raticate passed away. The real reason your rival is in Lavender Town to begin with is to lay his deceased friend to rest. Despite all of this, your rival never outwardly tells you that you're responsible for the death of his Pokémon. He hides his grief and instead channels that energy into the motivation he needed to continue his quest to become Indigo League Champion. The death of his Raticate effectively destroys your rival's impish, childhood innocence. Although he tells himself that he doesn't hold you responsible, he subconsciously holds a great deal of resentment towards you which further fuels his ambitions. Tearfully swearing upon his Raticate's grave to not fail in what he set out to do, he trains hard in hopes of becoming better than you… defeating you… and to eventually make it to the Pokémon League. Mere moments after he became Indigo League champion, he was defeated… by you. Although he fulfilled his promise to his fallen Pokémon, it was only for a painfully brief instant. In the end, your rival is scolded by his grandfather while you receive the professor's praise. During the course of the game, you steal your rival's innocence, crush his dreams, and ultimately snatch away the love of his own grandfather. Oh, and by the way, your rival doesn't have any parents. He's an orphan.

Philosoraptor

Spiral King
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 11, 2010
    I think they more than made up for it in the anime.

Seriously, he's 10 and he has his own Mercedes.

EDIT: Not to mention his own personal squad of cheerleaders.

Christopher

Hear Me Roar
    Years
    yes but he doesn't have to battle you on the S.S Anne does he? He starts the fight its not your fault that you fight better

Philosoraptor

Spiral King
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 11, 2010
    yes but he doesn't have to battle you on the S.S Anne does he? He starts the fight its not your fault that you fight better
    You still killed his rat, man.

The worst thing you can do to a man is kill his rat.

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
    You know he had 40 Pokemon when he was at the S.S Anne, I'm sure he probably got some better Pokemon and realized Raticate wasn't going to help his team so he left it in Bill's PC. Also why must people change the line at Lavendar town completely just to make their story believable?

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
    Years
    Gary Oak is a dirty, lying cheater. He had a level 16 Raticate, and for everyone else it evolves at level 20. He clearly uses a GameShark or an Action Replay, this matter cannot be discussed anymore. I bet his pokemon have 999 in all stats too when he is "champion."

Years
    • Seen Sep 26, 2010
    There was a thread on here about this like one or two weeks ago.. oh well.

ChrisTom

With all regards,
    Years
    Uh, isn't this already mentioned in a thread exaclty like it (Completed Red/Blue? You're a MURDERER)

I don't think this was the vibe that Satoshi gave out at all. In fact, i doesn't seem like something he would do. Blue (in the games and the Anime) is supposed to personify that hotshot who is annoying because he thinks he is all that and a bag of chips. He isn't supposed to make the character feel sad, just annoyed. I think we all have that one person in our lifes who is a complete hotdog. His character was to make the player feel at a personal level that all people share, not somebody who we should feel sorry for. I'm honestly sick of this topic, but people seem to like it...

Kon~

Follow your dream to the end ~
    Years
    You still killed his rat, man.

The worst thing you can do to a man is kill his rat.

For some reason I'm singing Michael Jackson's Ben... ~♪

Seriously. Gary Oak hates your ass through the whole game, beats you to every punch and even becomes Champion - really? We beat him in every battle in the entire game and he still becomes the Champion first?

Plus, he's arrogant, obnoxious and thinks everyone smells, which I reckon is a psychological defence to his own paranoia about his own bodily odour. :D

Years
    You know he had 40 Pokemon when he was at the S.S Anne, I'm sure he probably got some better Pokemon and realized Raticate wasn't going to help his team so he left it in Bill's PC. Also why must people change the line at Lavendar town completely just to make their story believable?

... Yes.

Do you really think he would keep a Raticate? He has 40 Pokemon in his PC, and his personality just screams that he needs the best Pokemon around. Raticate sucks.

Blue states that he came to Lavender Town and caught a Cubone, but couldn't find a Marowak. Then he battles you, then he leaves. Personally, if I was in the situation you believe he was in, I'd stay there, at least (I'd probably start a fist fight).

AND, there is a nice lady in one of the cabins that heals Pokemon. Gary couldn't have found her while checking all of the cabins for trainers to battle.

I think Blue is a cool guy once you put him in his place, but he isn't a victim. Raticates are OK early on in the game (Super Fang), but later on, they're HM Slaves at best.

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    I think you can catch a Raticate at level 16 in the game. But Gary realized that he hated it and threw it into his PC.

Other than that, we had a thread EXACTLY like this a week ago.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back