• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gen 8 move animation project [DISCONTINUED]

Years
    • Seen Apr 5, 2024
    Hey! Amazing resource! Works perfectly with EBDX as well.
    Though I had an issue to report.

My game crashed saying "PRAS- Underwater BG" is an unsupported file format and all image editor apps say it's corrupted.
    Similar case with Venom Drench and Wood Hammer.
    Hoping you could look into it!

StCooler

Mayst thou thy peace discover.
    Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    Hey! Amazing resource! Works perfectly with EBDX as well.
    Though I had an issue to report.

My game crashed saying "PRAS- Underwater BG" is an unsupported file format and all image editor apps say it's corrupted.
    Similar case with Venom Drench and Wood Hammer.
    Hoping you could look into it!

Hey, thanks for reporting!
    You are right, the pictures were corrupted for some reason. I didn't notice. It should be fixed now :)

Years
    • Seen today
    Would these work for v. 17 of Essentials? I've already downloaded the Reborn moves once before, and they seem to work okay, but they are not perfect. Battles get slowed down a lot because animations take long to load, and some moves (like Dragon Pulse, Heat Wave, Aura Sphere, Scary Face, Dig, and more) seem to not display everything correctly. Would this be the same case with these ones?

Last edited:

StCooler

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    Would these work for v. 17 of Essentials? I've already downloaded the Reborn sprites once before, and they seem to but they are not perfect. Battles get slowed down a lot because animations take long to load, would this be the same case with these ones?

I think the formatting of the names of animations is the same between v17, v18 and v19.
    About your issue though. It is a known issue. This is because, in V17, the game loads every animation each time it needs to use one, instead of loading and storing animations in the RAM.
    This will help you fix that. If you don't use EBS, this is still a good starting point to help you understand the issue. If you know a bit about coding you should do this right.

Years
    • Seen today
    I never bothered with the EBS because it seemed like it was just upgrading the battle graphics to the gen 5 style, which is cool, yeah, but I do prefer the gen 4 battle system more.
    So the attachment you sent should still fix the issue regardless, even if I don't use the Elite Battle System, right?

Years
    • Seen today
    Also, I just checked the moves through, and it would appear that at least half of the moves do not have animation sheets when displaying certain moves?? Tried to use a Lucario and have him use Aura Sphere, Dragon Pulse, and Bone Rush in a battle, and while Lucario and the opposing Pokémon moves around and such... there's no graphics for the moves themselves. No ball of energy, no beam of draconic power, no bone, nothing.

I checked to see if it was because you just hadn't animated these moves yet, and I found that, no, there's definitely animation sheets in the folder, but for some reason my game does not want to register all the PNG files from A to H, meaning only moves from I to Z have animations in them. What's causing this? The files ARE present within the folder, but the editor can't register them???

If I try to go into any move - like Aura Sphere - and view its animation, the animation will just be blank. The Pokémon will move like it's charging up the move, the sound effect will play, but there's no energy ball. And if I press "Set Animation Sheet", PRAS- Aura Sphere.png does not show up as an option, even though it's in my game's Animation folder.

Attachments

• file1.PNG
      file1.PNG
      30.7 KB · Views: 15
    • file2.PNG
      file2.PNG
      47.8 KB · Views: 8
    • file3.PNG
      file3.PNG
      22.5 KB · Views: 9
    • file4.PNG
      file4.PNG
      34.1 KB · Views: 9
    Last edited:

StCooler

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    I never bothered with the EBS because it seemed like it was just upgrading the battle graphics to the gen 5 style, which is cool, yeah, but I do prefer the gen 4 battle system more.
    So the attachment you sent should still fix the issue regardless, even if I don't use the Elite Battle System, right?

I will guide you a bit.

Spoiler:

Also, I just checked the moves through, and it would appear that at least half of the moves do not have animation sheets when displaying certain moves?? Tried to use a Lucario and have him use Aura Sphere, Dragon Pulse, and Bone Rush in a battle, and while Lucario and the opposing Pokémon moves around and such... there's no graphics for the moves themselves. No ball of energy, no beam of draconic power, no bone, nothing.

I checked to see if it was because you just hadn't animated these moves yet, and I found that, no, there's definitely animation sheets in the folder, but for some reason my game does not want to register all the PNG files from A to H, meaning only moves from I to Z have animations in them. What's causing this? The files ARE present within the folder, but the editor can't register them???

If I try to go into any move - like Aura Sphere - and view its animation, the animation will just be blank. The Pokémon will move like it's charging up the move, the sound effect will play, but there's no energy ball. And if I press "Set Animation Sheet", PRAS- Aura Sphere.png does not show up as an option, even though it's in my game's Animation folder.

This is very weird.
    Can you compile the game?
    In the animation editor, can you export some of the faulty animations, and post the ANM file so I can check what's going on?
    I'm making my game on v18, so I cannot know what's right or wrong in older versions.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen today
    I've compiled multiple times since, as I work on the game pretty much daily at this point. Changed the pokemon.txt PBS file another time just now to see if it worked, but nope, Lucario is still not summoning a ball when using Aura Sphere, despite the png for Aura Sphere being in the folder.

Sure, I'll try to post them tomorrow or the day after, is 3 okay or do you need more to look at? I can send you Aura Sphere, Bone Rush and Dragon Pulse as examples.

WolfPP

Spriter/ Pixel Artist
    Years
  • About v20, I just imported the animations to the new version and works like a charm! :)

curryofthepast

Were they a fool, a sage or a lonely friend?
    Years
  • Double-post-ish, but really looking forward to if the new Reborn animations can be added, a lot of them are dope improvements. One caveat though is keeping track of their project, as looking at the patchlogs, they are still occasionally updating their animations they feel could use improvements. As WolfPP pointed out it's great there seemingly have been no changes to how Animations.rxdata is handled.

curryofthepast

Were they a fool, a sage or a lonely friend?
    Years
  • Cool project! Is this usable in its current form?

It is, for v19 and apparently v20. No idea if older versions are compatible with the included Animations.rxdata. I'd estimate about 92% of up to gen 8 animations are handled in some form. Minus PLA stuff. In the near future, we should have even better publicly shared animations though or at least that's what I'm hoping for.

When I was still working with v19 I forgot to check if a Battle Bond animation was added. That would be nice to keep in mind since v20 supports it by default, as long as you add sprites to your project and set up your PBS correctly. I think borrowing the MegaEvolution animation for it would be fine, because in the anime and games it was treated and discussed like an alternative method of Mega.

DarrylBD99

Content Creator and Game Developer
    Years
  • When I was still working with v19 I forgot to check if a Battle Bond animation was added. That would be nice to keep in mind since v20 supports it by default, as long as you add sprites to your project and set up your PBS correctly. I think borrowing the MegaEvolution animation for it would be fine, because in the anime and games it was treated and discussed like an alternative method of Mega.

Well, sadly Battle Bond animation hasn't really been covered yet.

Years
    • Seen today
    I copied all the extracted files into my game folder, and all the animations are wrong in battle. When I open the editor, I can see the correct animation for each move, but in battle, Flamethrower plays Toxic Spikes, Crunch shows Ice Shard I think, and so on.
    Any idea as to what may be causing this?

Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2024
    I'm using Essentials v20.1, and for some reason the animation for Surf when used by the player goes down and loops through the bottom of the screen to the top of the screen instead of going up toward the enemy. This also happened with surf when I was still using v18. It also does this in the animation editor. The animation when an opponent uses surf works fine though.

Years
  • I recently added these animations to my game, and they're really good, but I've noticed some animations will show up in the upper left corner of the screen rather than centering on the Pokemon, in particular Lucky Chant and Teleport. Even stranger is that they work just fine in the debug menu, but in actual battles, they're off in the corner. Has anyone else noticed this happening?

Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2023
    Using EBDX in v19, every physical attack where it requires the Pokémon to move, it jumps up where it shouldn't. How do I correct?

Back