• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gender Concerns

Aegis

The Savage Nymph
Years
  • I thought Roserade was male enough! O.o It always struck me as masculine whereas Roselia was feminine. :\

Lawl, I agree XD; I always thought Roserade was more masculine then Roselia; and to be honest, I like it how it is <3

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    I like Roserade, its my favorite pokemon but I believe male Roselia should have an alternate evolution using a poison barb or something because its not male enough IMO.

moments.

quixotic
    Years
  • Agreed, Roselia really does look a lot more feminine than Roserade which is a bit of a disappointment as I love Roserade!
    I think that all Pokemon should be able to be both genders, because I highly doubt a wild Pokemon is going to 'get with' a Ditto for the sake of surviving...

Years
  • What always got me was female Geodudes or Golems. With Geodude, it even says it's a dude right in the name. And with the whole Geodude-Graveler-Golem line, how much more masculine can it be? They're giant balls of rock. That seems pretty masculine to me.

Gunners

wants Arsenal to pwm everyone!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2009
    Yeah thats true. Lol azumarills have a 25% chance of changing genger when they evolve. Thats gender bending

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • I checked up Serebii and Marill are 50/50, so are Azumarril. :\ Azurrill is 75/25 male, but that won't make it change genders when evolving.

That's for when you catch, the percentage chance of getting a wild/bred Pokemon of that gender. It's not going to change genders evolving. O.o Nintendo's smarter than that.

VanillaThunderbolt

Generic User Title
    Years
    • Seen Mar 1, 2012
    Yeah thats true. Lol azumarills have a 25% chance of changing genger when they evolve. Thats gender bending
    =O
    Dude you have to be kidding.
    That makes no sense!

Another thing I'm mad about.
    How come some legendaries have genders, some don't?
    Articuno should at least have the ABILITY to female.
    I mean heck, if my Heatran can be a girl, anything can be to me O.o
    Also, Starmie should have a gender.
    If Patrick can be a guy, I don't see why Starmie can't =/
    [Holy crap... I just made a Spongebob reference xD]

Last edited:

matt561

Your French Charizard
    Years
  • =O
    Dude you have to be kidding.
    That makes no sense!

Another thing I'm mad about.
    How come some legendaries have genders, some don't?
    Articuno should at least have the ABILITY to female.
    I mean heck, if my Heatran can be a girl, anything can be to me O.o
    Also, Starmie should have a gender.
    If Patrick can be a guy, I don't see why Starmie can't =/
    [Holy crap... I just made a Spongebob reference xD]
    Thats low

But look at the stir it woould cause between all the mums who are scared that thier children will learn about sexuality before the age of 37

its just not possible

VanillaThunderbolt

Generic User Title
    Years
    • Seen Mar 1, 2012
    Hahaha, true.
    That's what makes me mad.
    The game may be intended for children, and I'm basing that off of it's E rating, but honestly more young adults and even more adults play it than children, especially when it comes to ACTUALLY playing it.

Oh how it bugs me when a 6 year old comes up to me and talks about how awesome he/she is at the game, with their Level 100 Attack Form Deoxys in the beginning of the game with all the ribbons and hacked moves like Shadow Force and Sacred Fire. >=I

That last part was a bit off topic, but still.

bluesonic1

I like this place <3
    Years
  • Attract. It's been in the game ever since genders have been, 3 whole generations.
    In battle, given the chance of opposite genders, it's actually a good move, it always seems to screw me over when used against me. -__-
    But did it make anybody else mad that in only worked between opposite genders?
    I know it's a game that a lot of young children play and they probably don't want to exploit some sort of homosexuality or something like that, but if that were the case, why in GSC did my two Miltank [always female] breed and have a baby Miltank?
    I'm guessing that was just a bug in my game actually...
    Point still being, I'm mad.

On top of that, how is it possible to have a Female SlowKING, or SeaKING, or MR. Mime?
    That especially made me mad. They could've changed it some time after 2nd Generation by making them Male exclusive Pokemon, like the Hitmon's.

And I'm sure there's other gender bugs people have found.
    So tell me about 'em. They're usually funny... and I could go for a laugh right now ^_^

Nintendo has small controversy for why they don't let attract work on same gender pokemon. But do you know how bad it would be if they did do it? Plus it would ruin the move- it would be like confuse ray with 100% accuracy. It would tip the gameplay of this move very unfairly.

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
    Years
  • Wait which ones particularly?

You know like Lopunny and Honchcrow.
    Actually I don't think there are as many as I thought.
    Still Lopunny is more messed up then Machamp.

I checked up Serebii and Marill are 50/50, so are Azumarril. :\ Azurrill is 75/25 male, but that won't make it change genders when evolving.

That's for when you catch, the percentage chance of getting a wild/bred Pokemon of that gender. It's not going to change genders evolving. O.o Nintendo's smarter than that.

I don't think you understand how the gender value works. A Pokemon gender number never changes not even if it evolves into a Pokemon with a different Ratio.

VanillaThunderbolt

Generic User Title
    Years
    • Seen Mar 1, 2012
    I don't think you understand how the gender value works. A Pokemon gender number never changes not even if it evolves into a Pokemon with a different Ratio.

So is that to say that a Marill could change genders or evolving or definitely can't?
    I knew about gender values, I just never cared to look into them too deeply... very rarely does gender matter to me.

Nintendo has small controversy for why they don't let attract work on same gender pokemon. But do you know how bad it would be if they did do it? Plus it would ruin the move- it would be like confuse ray with 100% accuracy. It would tip the gameplay of this move very unfairly.
    I understand the controversy of having same gender Attract work.
    But, I have a valid argument now that I thought of something else.
    True, if it worked on same gender Pokemon, the gameplay would be screwed, can't agree more, but if Charm can work on same genders, and even no genders, why not Attract?
    To be charmed by something someone did, wouldn't that mean you would have to find some attraction in that person?
    Maybe that's just my in take on the words themselves, but it stands for a good rebuttal.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Just imagine what parents would think though if they found out about it. Nintendo doesn't want to send the wrong message across. Most people don't even care but the parents obviously don't want their children getting influenced by Pokemon in a mannerism that has to do with genders. A lot of little 8 year old pip-squeeks look up to Ash and play the games for this reason. And I know a lot of 8 year olds who breed pokemon 24/7, so imagine if that was included as well, because it would have to be with Attract being like that. Now, you may say it'd make the move better. It would be broken though and therefore not exist. Not just that but like I said, parents would get angry and thus think of taking action, by perhaps sueing Nintendo. Go for it if you make your own game, but it's not something Nintendo will do.

VanillaThunderbolt

Generic User Title
    Years
    • Seen Mar 1, 2012
    It'd be rather entertaining if there were just a 10% chance of attract working on the same gender. XD
    Ah I like that!
    Maybe even a bigger chance.

But also, let's clear the air here because I think someone has pointed out the "Nintendo could get sued for influencing sexuality on small children" thing like, 5 times and quite honestly, that's a no brainer.

Honest

Hi!
    Years
  • I hate attract when its used against me! '____'

As for in the game, i really dont know. At leat a Mrs. Mime would have been more appropriate!

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • Gender Concerns

This, good people, is why this topic started. Oh, note the genders too.

Back