• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

General Computer Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machu Pichu

oddsoul.
Years
  • Just ordered this baby right before it went out of stock. Quad Core 3.0GHz, best CPU my motherboard could handle B)

Slappin that thing on this baby:
    Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit Desktop (Have 64-bit, but this is the gaming computer that my bro uses, and he HAS to have all his old games work >.>)
    Intel Celeron E3300 Dual Core CPU @ 2.50GHz
    4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 RAM @ 399MHz
    ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5K SE/EPU Motherboard
    512MB GeForce 8800 GT (EVGA)
    1000GB Western Digital HDD

First computer I ever built, I've just been upgrading it for years ^^

Last edited:
    Years
  • :( that's not good. That's the problem with laptops. They use so many proprietary parts that replacing them is often not worth the cost. Might be worth seeing exactly what's wrong before pronouncing it dead, though.

Nice "subtle insertion" there. :P And I was speaking strictly from the standpoint of laptops. Most people don't have spare laptops sitting around, and many laptops only come with one RAM slot.

Considering it will not power on with or without the battery (if it was just the battery, I would've at least been able to use AC power) and both of my chargers do have the light on to indicate they're receiving power, I do think it has something to do with the power apparatus. It's out of warranty at the moment, but my particular model (Vaio FW350J) still goes for over $700 US refurbished, so parts would probably be expensive.

Years
  • Just ordered this baby right before it went out of stock. Quad Core 3.0GHz, best CPU my motherboard could handle B)

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit Desktop (Have 64-bit, but this is the gaming computer that my bro uses, and he HAS to have all his old games work >.>)

E3300 to a Q9650. You're in for a pleasant surprise. That's going to make a huge difference. :D

I have an E8200 (Core2Duo 2.66GHz, will do 3.5GHz) sitting here that I need to get around to putting in my media center to replace my E2160 (1.8GHz Pentium DC). But I'm tossing up over whether the extra grunt is worth the extra power draw. It will be getting my spare Coolermaster Hyper 212+, so noise isn't a concern.

Years

Reminds me of the time when I first thought of building my own years ago.
    I was looking at a Core 2 Duo and an 8800 GT.

quilzel

net start w3svc
    Years
  • Nice "subtle insertion" there. :P And I was speaking strictly from the standpoint of laptops. Most people don't have spare laptops sitting around, and many laptops only come with one RAM slot.

Considering it will not power on with or without the battery (if it was just the battery, I would've at least been able to use AC power) and both of my chargers do have the light on to indicate they're receiving power, I do think it has something to do with the power apparatus. It's out of warranty at the moment, but my particular model (Vaio FW350J) still goes for over $700 US refurbished, so parts would probably be expensive.
    If it is just the power port in the computer, you can find those on eBay for less than $20, may require some soldering, but still cheaper than a new computer.

Anybody ever have to deal with an idiot who thinks he knows about computers? I just had some moron tell me USB 2.0 has the same Read/Write speed as DDR2 RAM. :\
    I'm sorry, but 6,400 MB/s =/= 60MB/s

Raven-NAR-32450

The Great and Powerful RAVEN
    Years
  • I'm thinking of doing a simple re-build of my desktop, its an old Emachine W3653 with those old LGA 775 motherboards.
    Current Spec:
    Motherboard: Elitegroup 945 GCT-M3 (Standard ATX)
    Processor: Intel Celeron E1200 1.6Ghz (You dont want to know)
    RAM: 2.5 GB DDR2 (not bad for a 32 bit OS)
    Video: ATI Radeon X1650 (an older XP era card that has 512 MB GDRR)
    Audio: Creative Audigy SB 4 (I just dont know)
    Hardrive: 320GB (I don't know the exact brand off the top of my head)

So, what should I start with, mind you i want to save the case if i can.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Well, the headphone jack on my laptop just died... I'm thinking of going with one of those external USB sound card things rather than ripping the case apart and trying my hand at soldering the connections back together. But it sucks because my laptop's built-in speakers are mostly crap.

Years
  • Well, the headphone jack on my laptop just died... I'm thinking of going with one of those external USB sound card things rather than ripping the case apart and trying my hand at soldering the connections back together. But it sucks because my laptop's built-in speakers are mostly crap.

If you have good headphones, then get a decent USB sound card, as it cheap ones aren't going to be pretty. What sort of laptop are we talking? Because if it's newish, it might be worth having the port repaired.

quilzel

net start w3svc
    Years
  • I'm thinking of doing a simple re-build of my desktop, its an old Emachine W3653 with those old LGA 775 motherboards.
    Current Spec:
    Motherboard: Elitegroup 945 GCT-M3 (Standard ATX)
    Processor: Intel Celeron E1200 1.6Ghz (You dont want to know)
    RAM: 2.5 GB DDR2 (not bad for a 32 bit OS)
    Video: ATI Radeon X1650 (an older XP era card that has 512 MB GDRR)
    Audio: Creative Audigy SB 4 (I just dont know)
    Hardrive: 320GB (I don't know the exact brand off the top of my head)

So, what should I start with, mind you i want to save the case if i can.

The MoBo manufacture's website has some really handy info.

Really the only thing "bad" about your comptuer is the Processor (I hate Celeron). You could look into some more RAM, but its not too bad for everyday browsing with what you have now. I would look at upgrading your CPU first, however it looks like it might be hard to find a CPU that would work with your computer as it is sometime a shot in the dark. You could try getting a processor off of eBay, but if it doesn't work you would most likely be out the money.

I would suggest upgrading your computer, since you already have the monitor and keyboard, all you need is a new tower. I'm not sure what part of the world you live in, but I found this on Walmart's website, I would guess you could go pick it up locally or have it shipped to your house (if you live in the U.S.)

Its another eMachines, it has an AMD Anthron II x2 (Dual core 2.8 GHZ), 1TB HDD and 3GB of RAM for $298

Dell has the Insprion 560 for $299, it comes with a Intel Dual Core E6700(3.20GHz), and 4GB of RAM with a 1TB HDD

Computers these days are so cheap, if you already have an entry level PC, its cheaper to get a new one than upgrade it. Hope this helps.

Years
  • I'm on my new computer now. I didn't put the side panels back on though... stupid cables :/
    I need to fix that later.
    Specs:
    CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K - 3.4 GHz quad core
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD4-B3 (got this for $150)
    RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 (1600 MHz kit, I think it runs at 1333 unless you OC though)
    Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti (from EVGA)
    Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB (7200 RPM)
    Case: Cooler Master HAF 912
    PSU: Corsair TX650 V2
    Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster BX2331 (23", 1920x1080)
    And I'm using the onboard sound.

I might post a picture... don't feel like it right now.

Years
  • I'm on my new computer now. I didn't put the side panels back on though... stupid cables :/
    I need to fix that later.
    Specs:
    CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K - 3.4 GHz quad core
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD4-B3 (got this for $150)
    RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 (1600 MHz kit, I think it runs at 1333 unless you OC though)
    Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti (from EVGA)
    Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB (7200 RPM)
    Case: Cooler Master HAF 912
    PSU: Corsair TX650 V2
    Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster BX2331 (23", 1920x1080)
    And I'm using the onboard sound.

I might post a picture... don't feel like it right now.
    Brilliant combination. I take it you have the intention of overclocking at some stage, considering you bought the 2600K? 1600MHz is a sweet spot for memory on the Sandy Bridge platform, so that would be my first recommendation. Consider an aftermarket cooler on the CPU if you do overclock, as well.

Very nice. :D

Years
  • Brilliant combination. I take it you have the intention of overclocking at some stage, considering you bought the 2600K? 1600MHz is a sweet spot for memory on the Sandy Bridge platform, so that would be my first recommendation. Consider an aftermarket cooler on the CPU if you do overclock, as well.

Very nice. :D

I have a Hyper 212+.

Maybe I will overclock it some day, but not anytime soon.
    I got it for the same price as the regular 2600 anyway, because of a promo code.

Years
  • I have a Hyper 212+.

Maybe I will overclock it some day, but not anytime soon.
    I got it for the same price as the regular 2600 anyway, because of a promo code.

Awesome cooler. WIll do the job nicely.

There's no pressure to overclock, I just assumed you were after paying for the unlocked CPU, but considering you got it for the same price, that makes more sense. That said, those chips have monster overclocking potential. Probably the best on any CPU in the last few years.

Years
  • Well I don't personally have one, I don't really see the point of tablets at all really xD, but from what I've read about them its a pretty good one. It works quite well with Honeycomb.

Years
  • So apparently Youtube felt like being douchy today and made having the newest version of Adobe Flash Player a requirement to view a video "for improved playback performance". Without it, all I get is a black screen with an annoying message on it. So, just install that unnecessary update and everything will be back to normal? Well, here's the second and real problem:
    I can download the exe and when I click on it, Vista will ask me two of its stupid standard security nonsense questions and from that point on, nothing will happen. The exe itself will disappear from my Downloads folder but for some odd reason still be available through FF's Download's section. According to taskmanager, the exe is running, but what really happens is nothing. At all.
    I know Installers can sometimes take a little while to start, but usually what takes a while is the second of the two security question to show up, the installer will usually start immediately after that.
    I haven't uninstalled the old Flash Player by the way, but in the past that was never a necessity.
    So, is this a known problem and if yes, what's the solution to it? And yes, I tried googling this first but didn't find anything particularly helpful during my attention span.

Edith says: Forget about this, when I tried a download from FileHippo instead of the official one, it worked immediately.
    shrug.gif
    I have no explanation for this, but at least my problem is solved now.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Eww Vista D:

Well the only things I can think of that might get it to work again are these
    • Run it in administrator mode if you didn't already do it
    • If that doesn't work turn off all security and then install it
    • Uninstall the old flash player
    • Download it to a different area and/or using a different browser

quilzel

net start w3svc
    Years
  • What are your holiday tech buying plans?

I personally really want a tablet. I am going to see if I can get a killer deal on black Friday. I'm not sure what to get my dad for Christmas. In comparison I bought his gift last year in October (a bluray player with networking). I don't even know where to start this year.

Years
  • Buy him a 3DTV xD

I have a job now so I'd actually have the money to go and buy loads of technology by the time the holidays come around. Only problem is I have no idea what I'd buy D:
    There needs to be a new breakthrough technology released so I can go and blow all my money on it!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back