• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

General Game Dev Help and Requests

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sorye HK

Looking around here and there
Years
    • Seen Dec 1, 2021
    its weird tho cuz the tut is for rm2k and i got rm2k3 so the words and sections are different..lol

What are you trying to say? Are you saying that the tut was in the RM2K section
    but it was really for RM2K3 or that the tut is for RM2K but you're using RM2k3?

PokeReaper

Pokemon #500
    Years
  • Pokeball, PLEASE ?!

Can anyone tell me how to make an item that will "CATCH" Pokemon ?
    I just know it has something to do with variables, but no one explains it clearly enough for me to understand it, & I have NO IDEA about how to use variables.
    Can anyone help me, PLEASE ?!

DarkMage31

RM2K(3) Master
    Years
  • Just make an item and under "Classification" or whatever, make it a "Switch." That way when you use the item, a switch will go on. Call it "Capture" or something.

Now go into the M.Groupstab in your database. At the bottom find the "Battle Events." Double click the |...| button and check "Switch" and find "Capture." Now double click the "<>" in the white box.

Here's where you need to understand variables. Variables are numbers. That's it. Numbers. Simple! These numbers can represent whatever you want them to. A number of your choice, the monster's HP, your screen coordinates, whatever you want really. Moving on.

Now click "Variable Operations." Click the |...| at the top of the new window and find a blank variable slot. Name it "Monster HP." Hit OK. Now find the section called "Operand." This is where you set what number the variable will be. Check "Monster," select the enemy pokemon, and make sure "HP" is selected from the drop-down box to the right. Hit okay. Now, when you use the Pokeball item, it will turn on the switch Capture, which will set a number to the enemy's HP. Moving on.

Double click the next "<>" and find Conditional Branch or Fork Condition. Click it. Now select the second item, Variable. Click the |...| button and find the variable "Enemy HP." Next to where it says Number, type the number 30. Now find the drop-down box where it says "Equal to." Select "Less than" from the list. Make sure "Execute Custom Handler" is selected at the bottom. Next step.

Right under this, inbetween the command "Conditional Branch" and "Else Handler," use commands to show your Pokeball animation and whatever. Then add it to your party using the "Change Party" command. Capture sucessful!

Now, under "Else Handler," enter your commands for if it failed. (Aww... it was so close to!")

Now, when you use the pokeball, it will turn on the switch "Capture" which will save the opponents HP in a variable. If it's HP is less than 30, you will catch it.

That's the watered down version. Of course the formula's much more complicated, but that'll get you through for now until you understand random range variables ;)

Lemme know if there's anything you don't understand.

Sorye HK

Years
    • Seen Dec 1, 2021
    Do as Darkmage said. You might also want to add some random number events also.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2015
    I want to make a Pokemon game but I can't do it because you can only have four people at a time and when I need it so you can switch Heroes like in pokemon game computers.

DarkMage31

RM2K(3) Master
    Years
  • That is... if you use the default system. It can still be managed to have 6 members in your party if you use variables and use a CBS. But for beginners, stick to the default battle system (DBS).

Sorye HK

Years
    • Seen Dec 1, 2021
    The battle system already encoded into RM2K/3.

Aragon

The Ring Bearer
    Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2006
    Can ne1 make me Lord Of the Rings sprite or tell me a site where i can make them online, i dont want to download ne thing.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2015
    Aragon you should repost into Rpg maker resources section and delete the post you have

Aragon

The Ring Bearer
    Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2006
    thx but i was really hopin for a aragon one..can u tell me the site where you found those ones?

Sorye HK

Years
    • Seen Dec 1, 2021
    First question, do you know how to use variables, switches and fork conditions?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back