• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: General Roleplay Discussion Thread "the RPD" (archived)

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    do you think it's possible to overdo it with the joint posting? Does the time when you'll say, "enough, I want to post solo just for once in this goddamn RP" ever come?
    Yep, definitely. That's why Crossroads worked well for me personally, I believe; as it was of a journey nature I could step away and do my own thing and just write and develop my character alone for a post or two if I wanted to, before I got back and met up with others again. But I do agree that JPing makes a RP smoother, if all participants are able to JP smoothly.

That being said, I'm not at all against shorter IC posts! As long as it's not just conversation and something actually happens, direct IC posting works nicely. Lengthy conversations where the characters really need time to talk and get to know each other though, definitely works better for JPs. As do battles between players, pokémon or not, I assume.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    I used to semi JP before I came here, where we would discuss simple conversations but the finer details were done in our posts. So basically, a long conversation might still be two posts but there's not the odd perspective jumping that sometimes happens in joint posts. I think that people do overdo joint posting these days... It's good to have individual posts often, and back-and-forth posting is A-OK too.

Chalifoux

:: Certified Granblue Fantasy Nerd ::
    Years
    I think it's okay to Joint Post when it's a necessity. But really, it does depends on an individual's point of view in such an specific matter and what they define as 'necessary'. A Joint Post definitely shortens the amount of posts in an IC Thread, and allows for some more dynamic interactions, and it's even more delightful to combine your writing style with someone else's as you type. And more than once I've learned a thing or two to improve my writing just from seeing how others type their stuff. Furthermore, the 'flow' of a Roleplay isn't interrupted by pieces and chunks of a conversation scattered between other posts with other interactions. But it does have its setbacks. The biggest one? EtherPad software is as reliable as typing your entire post in one go trying to preview it and realizing PC is down and all your work is gone forever. EtherPad is not entirely stable, it doesn't have full-mobile support and many other tidbits make it hard to utilize at times, but if you can stand them it's definitely better than PMing back and forth. And there's definitely time-zones and availability to take into account. Whatever works, I suppose ~

It is possible to overdo it, yes, but it depends on how much you need it. If you heavily rely on them, no problem. If they're not entirely needed then... yeah.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 31
    • AU
    • Seen Feb 18, 2023
    I JP heaps nowadays. I find it fun most of the time, but it can be a drag relying on people to make sure they keep it updated without seeming naggy. i find though if people rely on JPs and make them a necessity, things tend to go downhill. sometimes i just wanna write really long single posts after a long day of work.

jps are good for brainstorming though i gotta say

Years
    • Age 32
    • she/her
    • space~
    • Seen Jun 3, 2024
    i feel like such a noob asking this, but even though i've been role playing for awhile i've never heard of joint posting. what is it?

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
    Years
    i feel like such a noob asking this, but even though i've been role playing for awhile i've never heard of joint posting. what is it?

It's basically when two or more people collaborate to write a single in character post, which is something that may be done for various reasons, such as character interaction.

And welcome to the RPC. C:

Years
    • Age 32
    • she/her
    • space~
    • Seen Jun 3, 2024
    ooh, that sounds very interesting :o i hope to try it out one day now c: how does everyone collaborate? like are they in a chat or something?

& thank you! glad to be here c:

Years
    • Age 31
    • AU
    • Seen Feb 18, 2023
    ooh, that sounds very interesting :o i hope to try it out one day now c: how does everyone collaborate? like are they in a chat or something?

& thank you! glad to be here c:
    mostly, it's either in PMs or in an etherpad or googledoc. I find the etherpads are best because they highlight the words depending on who's written them!

And welcome!! :) it's always good to see new people in the boards <3

Nakuzami

Years
    You can collaborate any way that's convenient for you. I know I used to do it through private messages, but lately people have been on the mopad craze, since it's so much more convenient. It's an etherpad, synced online so that everyone can see what's being typed. In fact, I'm in one right now. https://etherpad.mozilla.org/ is the site. d:

I'm sure you'll get to try it out soon enough if you join a roleplay here. A welcoming community is what we are or so claim to be C; We are, though, and there's always plenty roleplays of all different styles open to new players~

edit: ah ninja'd by our lovely moderator. well, one of three. d:

Years
    • Age 32
    • she/her
    • space~
    • Seen Jun 3, 2024
    thank you guys, i can definitely tell that you guys are welcoming by the way you response & i'm happy to have picked the right community ^-^

i saved the site for future use, thank you c: i've never heard of this, but i am definitely excited :3

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2024
    [CSS-DIV="background-color: #D5CFCD; border-color: #0A2F67; padding: 55px; color: #000000; border-style:solid; width: 600px; line-height: 1.3em;"]
    General Roleplay Discussion Thread "the RPD" (archived)

Crimson Dawn

a Tale of Conquest

Thrace, the legendary God of Death and Destruction, has awaken and is intent on destroying as many lives on the sky-gliding island as she can. The folk run and hide in fear as she flies past and warriors flock to join her side, wishing they could avoid the onslaught she brings. The Empire of Exathor is divided in this moment of direst need for strong leadership and the enemies of the island are united under a single banner: the banner of the Crimson Crusade, with Thrace as the leader. The people of the Capital Union City are considering granting Thrace's request: to force the legitimate Emperor Dareon to step down from his office by yielding the infamous Thunder Crown to the God, in return for their lives and safety.

The Gold Tribe, the first and last line of defense of the Empire, are supporting the rightful heir's claim to the Thunder Crown and are caught amidst numerous conflicts. Enemies who seek to destroy them are all around, but the Keeper still lives, and as long as he lives, the Gold Tribe may never die, only from its ashes, rise rejuvenated and stronger. But the Keeper is just one. It will take more than one to pull through. At a time like this, the Gold Tribe needs valiant, courageous people to face their enemies, stop the war and protect the innocents.

You may have seen it floating around the forums. Ever given it a proper look? You might be surprised! We're a tight band of RPers, and we're looking to expand our company! As the OOC's title suggests, the spots are open and ready to be filled. We would be glad if we had new applications submitted.

Ray (!)

[/CSS-DIV]

Last edited:
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    thank you guys, i can definitely tell that you guys are welcoming by the way you response & i'm happy to have picked the right community ^-^

i saved the site for future use, thank you c: i've never heard of this, but i am definitely excited :3
    Glad you found your way here! Sometimes it can be tricky to find a RP to your liking with open spots, but I hope you'll manage. Crimson Dawn is a good alternative, showcased by Ray above here :3

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023

When we found out about the ether/titanpads we were all pretty stoked, they're a favourite around here ^_^. Welcome~

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    PMs still work well too though :) maybe just not quite as versatile and well organized.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Our Summer event has just gone live in the Roleplay Lounge - make sure to check it out! Of course, this is open to both newbies and veterans alike :) It's up to you whether you join for the prizes or just the roleplaying, if you have any questions you can PM/VM/ask in thread xox.

First poster gets a cookie.

Last edited:

Nakuzami

Years
    D'aww, we have a cute little event now. <3 Should be fun. I preferred the contests in the anime to any of the battles, so I definitely need a chance to try this out. :3

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    D'aww, we have a cute little event now. <3 Should be fun. I preferred the contests in the anime to any of the battles, so I definitely need a chance to try this out. :3

Contest combos were always so cool in the anime, unexpected and pretty wacky - can't wait to see what people come up with. :D

Xilfer

Just won't die.
    Years
    Do you think it's possible to overdo it with the joint posting?

Pokemon Odyssey in a nutshell. xD

But seriously, yes, I'm not such a big fan of joint posting because I'm really antisocial it takes more time. That, and I can't help feeling somewhat pressured to not keep the others waiting, so I sometimes tend to rush my parts and then they aren't that good.

However, I agree that it can definitely be a more efficient and quick method of character collaboration in the long run. It can just get exhausting when every other post is a joint post.

PMs still work well too though :) maybe just not quite as versatile and well organized.

I prefer this method for some reason. Pads irritate me because my computer has issues with them, and also other reasons. >_>

Chocolate™

Awesome Dragon
    Years
    Ok so I'm back. Been gone because of exams, stress and plain laziness. Okay so How y'all doin'?

Any good RPs that I can participate in?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back