• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Generation 3 Pokemon Trainer Sprites + Bonus Sprites

KoolKat vs. Lucas

KoolKat Gold
Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2013
    OK, so I created some characters here and I'm including them in my new RPGXP game(s?), MindCopper and SpiritBronze. They serve as friendly rivals or important characters (think of Lance in GSC/HGSS). Here they are:

Chris:
    Concept Art
    Spoiler:

Battle Sprite
    Spoiler:

Overworld Sprite
    Spoiler:

Jim:
    Concept Art
    Spoiler:

Battle Sprite
    Spoiler:

Overworld Sprite
    Spoiler:

KoolKat:
    Concept Art
    Spoiler:

Battle Sprite

Overworld Sprite
    Spoiler:

KoolKat's Girlfriend (WIP Kayla):
    Concept Art
    Spoiler:

Battle Sprite
    Spoiler:

Overworld Sprite
    Spoiler:

Rocky:
    Concept Art
    Spoiler:

Battle Sprite
    Spoiler:

Overworld Sprite
    Spoiler:

Tim:
    Concept Art
    Spoiler:

Battle Sprite
    Spoiler:

Overworld Sprite
    Spoiler:

Champ Couple KoolKat and (WIP Name) Kayla:
    Spoiler:

My bonus sprites (GSC-Super Revamped Silver + GSC-Custom Revamped Gold Back)
    Spoiler:

Feel free to give contructive criticism, the key word being CONTRUCTIVE.

GFA

Mega Blastoise is my homeboy
    Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2018
    My one critique is that you're going to have to sprite your own hair instead of using hair that already exists if you want your battle sprites to resemble your concept art. Chris looks nothing like his inspiration. You also need to work on your outlines. They're either all black (bad) or not dark enough (also bad). Mix things up, look at some official Gen III sprites for reference.

KoolKat vs. Lucas

KoolKat Gold
    Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2013
    Oh man, are you implying I didn't use effort?
    (Please don't think I'm being rude with the fake misspelled stuff, I'm just trying to point out how obvious the answers are. I'm not perfect, and the outlines of Gen3 just plain SUCK. They look really unprofessional, seriously.

-Lul crhis no look liek insppatratoin
    Seriously, the Cooltrainer hair was actually the intended Chris hair, but it's not in Hapurry's trainer creator.

-Srpiet ur ounw hiare lulz
    Why would I NEED to sprite my own hair if the hair from the creator and the actual trainer's hair were the same, or if the inspiration for the character CAME from the sprite?

-Ur otulienz suk all blakc (retraded) ar 2 ligte (strpuid)
    Well, who am I supposed to be, some professional spriter? Also, the combined outlines look really crappy, and the bright outlines are either:
    a.) because GBA doesn't support a dark version of that color
    b.) because it looks better, the dark, thick outlines make it look too cartoony, etc.

Years
  • The previous post was quite constructive actually. I would reiterate it would be helpful if you referenced the gen III sprites. The goal should be to match that style with your pixel art. Though, the lines are not clean and the shading needs a reference point as to the light on the sprite. Be sure to check the various tutorials and reference guides in the pixel art stickies. Before mastering the style or any style matter of fact, it is imperative that you first learn the basics of line-work and shading - the fundamentals of pixel art.

Compare these with Gen III sprites:
    Spoiler:

Additionally, make sure to credit the maker of the pokemon trainer creator v.2 program you have used for the concept art as soon as possible.

http://hapuriainen.deviantart.com/art/Pokemon-trainer-Creator-v-2-257074027

Lastly, please be respectful of other members, especially when they are trying to give you some pointers. Good luck!

KoolKat vs. Lucas

KoolKat Gold
    Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2013
    1. The Silver sprite ISN'T SUPPOSED TO BE GEN3, seriously. PLease READ the first post before you start to criticize me.
    2. I DID credit Hapuriainen, again, READ THE FIRST POST.
    3. You're not a moderator, so why are you reprimanding me?
    4. I'm using the same shading Gen3 uses, no changes at all. And you're criticizing THAT?
    Before mastering the style or any style matter of fact, it is imperative that you first learn the basics of line-work and shading - the fundamentals of pixel art.
    NO CRAP, I OBVIOUSLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO USE PAINT.NET!

Sunfished

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    Okay, I think your rudeness has gone a little too far. You, buddy, have got to learn about criticism and the fact that 2 people were giving you valid ideas for improvement. Also note, that GFA and Fenneking,(who are probably the most nicest and experienced), had literally given viable help, and had followed your "constructive only plz" rule.

Improvement options:
    1. Your shading is below par of satisfaction, and these guys were just pointing it out. Most of the shadows are either too large or to thin. This can be seen on where you attempted to scratch part of your work.
    2. Your lines need line shading. This is from me personally, since I too also suck at line shading. Use a dark color of the color around the line you are working with, and leave all places away from the lightsource with solid black.
    3. Some of your concept's are slightly different to very different to your sprites. Usually, this wouldn't be an issue, but even then the sprites representing them isn't to great. You want to smooth the lines when you scratch part of the body, this being evident around that couple image you made.

I've given 3 "constructive" ways to improve. I have also provided reasons on why you should improve that area of work, and never trampled over anything that would be offensively labeling your work. Therefore, I have followed your rules, and can not be at fault.
    And why would a mod need to tell you to not be rude? Being nice is a rule made by society. Anyone should be able to tell anyone to be nice.

Who's Kiyo?

puking rainbows
    Years
  • Woah, woah. Hold on a second.

No one is expecting you to be the Michelangelo of the Graphical Arts on day two, or even within the first year. Remember, this community has been around for a while and has seen dozens upon dozens of beginners and professionals, and generally knows which direction to point newcomers so that they may try out some new techniques and be able to gain the skills and know-how to make quality sprites. They know what makes a good sprite. Listen to them. We were all newcomers once. We've all made a lot of crap before we got anywhere near to being called "good."

Furthermore, lots of people don't even touch Paint.net. I've been using plain old vanilla MS Paint for years and I've gotten great results. Having fancy stuff doesn't hurt, but it's not necessary usually.

As far as shading goes, when you edit a sprite or an overworld, when you tweak the design to add/remove clothing, the shading changes. Take for instance KoolKat's brown jacket. It's a completely new piece of clothing on the base sprite, and the light will hit it a completely different way. The way it is now looks unnatural and choppy. I suggest the same thing as the last member- check out some of the fantastic tutorials we got here on Pokecommunity about editing/making new sprites. It'll teach you the basics, and you can play with the concept from there to see how it fits. This goes for linework as well. You're not going to get far with just copy-pasting old basic linework, you're going to have to tweak it to seem natural with the new appearance you give a sprite. Take for instance Rocky's sprite. I can see you basically recolored Brock's FR/LG sprite, and you made the bottom portion of his pants into Rocky's legs. Thus, making Rocky's calves the size of Texas. You should edit them to look like real legs, instead of just recoloring portions of pants. Tutorials will help with that.

And you don't have to be a Moderator to point out that you're being awfully defensive about your work and blatantly disregarding any advice these members have given you by writing them off as attacks. That's just being rude.

Just calm down. You're much better than I was when I first started toying with sprites. But you're not going to get anywhere with that attitude, so just be a little more open. If someone were actually attacking you, they'd be posting hateful comments about how you should stop spriting, calling you names, etc. Pointing out what could be better is constructive. In fact, I'm pretty sure that's what that word means.

Edit: Ninja'd to the point by Sunfished, but all these additional points are still valid.

GFA

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2018
    How about this, you follow the extremely well phrased advice of Kiyoshi and Sunfished, and instead of firing back with angry comments because you think we're attacking you, you try and follow the advice and work on improving your sprites? The simple fact of the matter is NO ONE expects you to be a "professional spriter" and NO ONE has implied you "didn't use effort." However, people doe expect you to at least work on your sprites. As opposed to whine. As you have been doing.

KoolKat vs. Lucas

KoolKat Gold
    Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2013
    OK, first off, I would like to apologize for my recent behavior. Since I started school, life stressed out, and now I'm cooling down again.

Second of all, I have experience with spriting, but it's mostly making basic comic characters or recolors.

Third, here's onto the new stuff:
    I'm working on some MindCopper/SpiritBronze sprites, and I've designed some Gym Leaders.

- I'm sharing some Gym Leaders who may be familiar to some of you guys.
    - The new Gym Leaders have been redesigned, so expect some differences.
    - Red, although he has his Manga-ish hair, is based off the GAME character.
    - Blue is a Psychic-type Gym Leader because he wanted to cool down from his attitude from RBGY/FRLG.

STTP9b9.png

GmNJyoB.png

Be constructive, and please offer solutions on how my spriting can improve.

GFA

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2018
    OK, so first thing. Don't use 2x zoom. That's not what we're going to see in a game. Blue looks pretty good, honestly.

KoolKat vs. Lucas

KoolKat Gold
    Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2013
    OK, I'll use 1x1 zoom. It's just somewhat hard to see because its so small when it's 1x1. Also, these are for use in RPG Maker XP, which uses 2x2 pixels for its sprites.

UPDATE:
    I've started on the Swinnu Regional Pokedex (which is a Fakedex) and here is the first starter!

JoM06mI.png

Eiyfist, the Fist Pokemon. FIGHTING-TYPE

7VANWv9.png

Eiypunch, the Boxing Pokemon. FIGHTING/DARK-TYPE

UDVoRbL.png

Eiyfight, the Dark Fist Pokemon. FIGHTING/DARK-TYPE

Please don't question the 1->2->1 fist evolutionary thing. It's just something I did when I designed the Pokemon, because 4 fists is just..... too much. And connecting that would look awkward.

Back