• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Generation 4 or 5?

Dark Piplup

This user title is original
Years
  • Which of the most recent generations do you prefer? I'd like to know if you prefer the older or newer.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I prefere the most recent, don't get me wrong Gen 4 was excellent, but Gen 5 is a whole new level it's brilliant, great features, outstanding graphics, such an evolution from Gen I.

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2016
    Personally I prefer Gen IV. Specifically, HG and SS. More and better features, like Pokemon following, Pokeathlon, Gym Leader Rematches, proper Battle Frontier... Don't get me wrong I like B/W and I prefer them to D/P/Pt, but HG and SS are still my favourites. I'm treating BW as a sort of "spin-off" and I'm not going to transfer any of my full HG collection (over 450) to BW. I'm just going to fill up the Unova 156 on White.

dieter57

pokemon master
    Years
  • i like gen V more then i love applesauce. and thats A LOT!
    but i really do hope they put in gym leader rebatles in the third game.
    oh and i loved the SS/HG box system better then this gens.

TTC

Tommy The Cat
    Years
  • I like Gen V more for the most part. The only thing I wish BW had was touchscreen usage more on par with HGSS. I hardly ever even touched the AB buttons in HGSS, but now I constantly have to be switching back and forth because I'm just so accustomed to using the touchscreen. Apart from that one small flaw, I much prefer Gen V.

Years
  • I prefer Gen 5, almost no questions asked. The pokemon somehow seem.....more epic. =D Though the remake of HG & SS had some great features such as the touch screen and the gym leader rematches. Black/White still takes the lead for me though.

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
    Years
  • Gen IV vs. Gen V - Gen V dominates the scene and comes home with a brand new trophy for being the best.

HGSS vs. BW - BW still wins, just slightly less.

Dark Piplup

Years
  • Personally I prefer 5. The cool cities, great graphics, and awesome features make it a win. Though 4 is still awesome!

WildEagle

Call me, Your Royal Freshness
    Years
  • Gen 5 for me. I love Gen 4 and all but seeing the same pokemon (ZUBATS and GEODUDE) gets boring. Gen 5 makes you create a whole new team with Pokemons you never play with. The graphics are amazing, the plot was awesome.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Although people are mostly answering about the games, this can apply to the anime and the other areas of Pokemon too - as well as the Pokemon themselves. I'm aware that there's a thread on 3+4+5 vs 1+2, but no 4 vs 5, so...

And obviously generation 5 is the best to me. Gen 4's Pokemon kinda sucked, as well as the anime too :( And the games, oh God. HG was the only good aspect of gen 4.

Years
  • Personally I prefer Gen IV. Specifically, HG and SS. More and better features, like Pokemon following, Pokeathlon, Gym Leader Rematches, proper Battle Frontier... Don't get me wrong I like B/W and I prefer them to D/P/Pt, but HG and SS are still my favourites. I'm treating BW as a sort of "spin-off" and I'm not going to transfer any of my full HG collection (over 450) to BW. I'm just going to fill up the Unova 156 on White.
    Besides a few extra features mentioned here, I find the 5th generation to be better in almost every way.

Years
  • I haven't played BW yet, so Gen IV (especially HGSS)

I think Gen IV was good 'cos HeartGold and SoulSilver included a feature with your Pokemon following you so you can be just like Ash's Pikachu!

Gero50

闇の下呂
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Sep 10, 2011
    I like Gen 4 more then 5 personally. Mostly because I know much more about it. I don't hate 5 though. I find it rather interesting so far.

Pokemon Trainer Touko

春野サクラ ♥
    Years
  • I prefer gen 5 over gen 4 because of the following things...

- The Pokemon are more epic.
    - The cities are wayyyyyy better imo
    - N is in the storyline.
    - The music is better
    - It's 3D

.... and also the ones that I forgot. XD

Years
  • I like Generation 5 better. It has way better Pokemon and the games are just plain better and a lot more fun. There is also more to do as well. Generation 5 is awesome and so fun!

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • All of my favorites are gen 1 and gen 3 Pokemon, and none of the 4th or 5th generation Pokemon were good enough IMO to replace them. 5th gen certainly looks a lot nicer, but the games lack many of the features of the 4th gen ones. And maybe it's just the Pokemon I chose, but I found playing through White to be more frustrating than the 4th gen games.

So all in all, I do have a slight preference for the 4th gen games at this point.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
    Years
  • I'm more into generation 5, on account of its game-style play is much more unique than generaton 4, and the graphics simply appeal to me more; it gives of a 3-D essence that makes me say: "Wow...THIS is a DS game?" The cities are also much more realistic; and the gym designs are AWESOME. The pokemon in Gen 5, I find that you'd have to create more stradegy with them; like I would perfer a dark/fighting type like Scrafty than a fighting / steel type like Lucario, because it works more well into my overall stradegy.

Years
    • Seen May 19, 2013
    To be honest, I never liked Generation 4. Gen 5 IMO is so much better. Its not because of the fancy graphics or things like that, its the different Pokemon. I never really liked the gen 4 Pokemon, im not sure why.

Dark Piplup

Years
  • Actually I like the new generation so much I haven't played any pokemon game except Black since it came out. YEESh!

Back