• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Genetics

masaru3

Chespin, I choose you!
Years
  • Have you all thought that X and Y might be about chromosomes?

If you look at this picture:
    Spoiler:

You'll see a rainbow chromosome thing there.

Do you think there will be clones, like Mewtwo. Genetic modifications like Genesect or more evolutions for eevee's unstable DNA? Also may be worth to note that Ditto copies the opponent's DNA, what if there was some sort of ditto doppelganger or even an evolution for Ditto.

Can you imagine some of our favorite pokemon being genetically modified? One thing is pretty certain, there will be some evolutions of previous pokemon.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I definitely think some of the plot will have to do with genetics, and that's exciting to me! Twas my favorite chapter in science. :)

Mewtwo in mind, I can see that being an available legendary during post-game, if the genetics thing is true.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I could see that happening. The deer looks like quite a few Pokemon rolled into one...HMMM. I wonder...!

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
  • This definitely crossed my mind. I wonder if maybe all the new pokemon are genetically modified or.. there is a fight between "natural" pokemon and "modified" pokemon.

I hope they add evos for some pokemon like Quilfish and Dunsparce which are basically never used :c But I really doubt it. This gen looks like all new stuff to me! If they were gonna add evos, they would've done it earlier (like with luvdisc and alohmora or whatever it's called)

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2013
    Genetics already taken by Generation 1, although I see no problem if they gonna redo it again. I think it waste though if they gonna redo a theme all over again when there are far more interesting untaken theme around.

Years
    • Seen Dec 1, 2014
    if theres going to be evolutions of the pokemon we've come to grow and love... PLEASE GIVE A METAL COAT EVOLUTION TO PINSER! ive been dying for one since gen 2 =)

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
  • Someone suggested to me earlier that these are prequels to Z version, representing all three dimensions. Given the seemingly perpetual 3D hype, I think that's much more likely tbh.

masaru3

Chespin, I choose you!
    Years
  • Genetics already taken by Generation 1, although I see no problem if they gonna redo it again. I think it waste though if they gonna redo a theme all over again when there are far more interesting untaken theme around.

I disagree. Mewtwo was only a part of Gen I. Gen I was about the journey to become the champion, beating team rocket... Catching them all :P

I think this gen has a lot of potential. I'm guessing the evil team will be doing the modifications and maybe we'll see these mutants on Team... Genetic?'s pokémon.

Also, wouldn't it be great if this Gen allowed us to clone pokémon without cheat codes? Not easily though, I would hope. But it would be awesome when it came to trading.

Nihilego

Years
  • Why not both of them at the same time? We could have both dimension and genetic references.

That's possible, but really complicates things if the Z version idea was to be true since there's no Z chromosome. Unless they went and dropped the idea all together and went for a complete cop-out like in B2/W2. d:

masaru3

Chespin, I choose you!
    Years
  • That's possible, but really complicates things if the Z version idea was to be true since there's no Z chromosome. Unless they went and dropped the idea all together and went for a complete cop-out like in B2/W2. d:

If they were to make a third game, like they always did, I can see it being XY or something like that. It's been a long time since I've studied genetics and I really didn't go that deep with it in school so I don't know, but I'm sure there is an alternative to X and Y. If all else fails, they could go with X2 and Y2 :P They could very well had gone with a Gray version on 5th gen and they didn't - I love the outcome of the sequels though.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    That's possible, but really complicates things if the Z version idea was to be true since there's no Z chromosome. Unless they went and dropped the idea all together and went for a complete cop-out like in B2/W2. d:

Gray would have been a bigger cop-out, since BW were about separation and distinction, but I digress!

While I do agree that it would be a bit odd to reuse the theme of gen 1 here, the double helix in the Japanese logos seems to be hinting in that direction. And honestly, with such a barebones plot, gen 1 hardly took advantage of its underlying theme--so I wouldn't mind if it was done again with X and Y because now we can really see it being expanded upon!

Nihilego

Years
  • Oh wait, didn't see the double DNA helixes in the logos. That's changed my mind a little bit. As long as any attempts at biology in the games are at least somewhat sound then I'm alright with it, in that case! :D

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2013
    Well, you can disagree, but its the truth anyway :bandit:
    Gen I limited to that because of short development time, Game Freak first try, and so on.
    You can't expect it to bee deep, although they've taken genetic subtlety serious at that time.

Copy+Pasted from Bulbapedia
    The first generation of Pokémon games were more directed towards genetics and engineering. The three starters, Bulbasaur (dinosaur-plant hybrid), Charmander (salamander), and Squirtle (turtle), are all reptilian in nature, and take some elements from the dinosaurs. Dinosaurs are reptiles, and were one of the most successful groups of animals to exist. Bulbasaur, the most similar to dinosaurs of the three, is the first listed in the Pokédex. Other Pokémon in the generation continue this theme. Eevee is capable of evolving into multiple forms due to its unstable DNA; Voltorb is the result of a Poké Ball experiment gone awry; Porygon is a virtual reality Pokémon. These games also introduce three Fossils, the most introduced of any generation, which can be resurrected into prehistoric Pokémon: Aerodactyl, Kabuto and Omanyte. Finally, out of the five legendaries that appeared, the most powerful was man-made through genetic engineering: Mewtwo. It remains the only legendary Pokémon, apart from Genesect, created through artificial means. The uncatchable legendary, Mew, also has the DNA of every Pokémon in existence.
    Bill himself invented the sophisticated PC used in most regions, and accidentally turned himself into a Pokémon. Ditto could also mimic the abilities and structure of any Pokémon it encountered, making it capable of breeding with most Pokémon from Generation II and onwards. The Master Ball is the most powerful Poké Ball in the franchise, and was first engineered by Kanto scientists as well. With this generation the very foundation of the Pokémon franchise, most successors have only expanded upon Kanto's basics such as trading, leveling-up and stone evolution.

The first generation to include artificial Pokemon, that is Mewtwo and Porygon until the introduction of Genesect.

Well Like said I can be wrong, and they can redo the theme if they like despite there are any other theme they can do. We've discussed it here.
    http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=294310

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    Oh wait, didn't see the double DNA helixes in the logos. That's changed my mind a little bit. As long as any attempts at biology in the games are at least somewhat sound then I'm alright with it, in that case! :D

It definitely would be disappointing if their use of biology was completely and utterly wrong, but Game Freak is definitely professional enough to know when and when not to stretch the boundaries of reality, so I think we're safe there c:

I think that would be a bit confusing if both are used.

It depends, though; BW used themes of separation, old vs new, truths vs ideals, and others, and not everyone found it confusing. So it really just depends on the person, I guess, but it can be done. Most literature uses a variety of themes, so there's no reason why Pokemon shouldn't be able to successfully do so as well.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Just a thought, but if this whole genetics thing turns up to be true, do you think we'll be having a Deoxys event or have one in the post-game to catch? Deoxys is based on DNA, and if X and Y are chromosomes, then...yeah just a thought! Deoxys is one of the most elusive legendaries (it has been for me anyway), so it'd be nice to have the chance to get one this gen.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • Just a thought, but if this whole genetics thing turns up to be true, do you think we'll be having a Deoxys event or have one in the post-game to catch? Deoxys is based on DNA, and if X and Y are chromosomes, then...yeah just a thought! Deoxys is one of the most elusive legendaries (it has been for me anyway), so it'd be nice to have the chance to get one this gen.

Hopefully they'll include Deoxys, I never got to catch one! Hopefully there will be some Event at least (postgame after you bring it somewhere, like Genesect?).

This is kind of ironic because I'm just starting to learn about genetics in science, but I don't think Pokemon will go to into it because I'm sure little kids will be playing this too. Oh well, it would be fun though. ^^

Back