• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Getting back into the work force after 9 months.

Years
    So, as I have said several times here, I lost my job in March and have been cruising off of stimulus and savings up until now. The holiday season, however, has pretty much made me broke so it's time to stop being a bum and start cooking again. I have a lot of emotions going on about this, I am excited, nervous, anxious, and a little scared. Excited to feel financially stable again after having to be so stingy. I am nervous because I feel my skills aren't as sharp as they were. Anxious because, GAD (general anxiety disorder), duh. And scared because I really don't know where to work as the options are very limited here.

I am updating my resume tonight and there is one place I am hoping to land and if I can't get on there I really don't know what I will do. I might just demote myself to a dishwasher somewhere and keep looking because I refuse to cook most places here as it is just awful food. I know a lot of these negative feelings is my pride getting in the way because I won't cook most places but at a certain point I won't have a choice. I wanted to post this here because it has been causing me a great deal of stress pretty much since I lost my job and knew I would hit this point eventually.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I will be sure to update as the job hunt goes on. Oh I forgot to mention! My car broke down about two months ago and I can't really get it fixed until I am working which shrinks the radius in which I can get a job because public transportation here is a joke.

Years
    Perhaps practice some dishes at home to regain confidence? I wouldn't just settle for something like a dishwasher because I imagine the pay is much less.

Years
    Perhaps practice some dishes at home to regain confidence? I wouldn't just settle for something like a dishwasher because I imagine the pay is much less.

I have been cooking at home but it's more the speed and volume that I am uncertain about. You would think the pay is a lot less but it is actually very close, most cooks, at least where I have lived, only get paid about $10 an hour plus tips. The cost of living is pretty low here which helps but cooks are very underpaid.

Personally I'd settle for dishwashing if there was nothing else available at the time, and I really needed money/funds. I think it's always a good idea to keep yourself active and working as hard as you can until a better opportunity comes up. You never know what that dishwashing can lead to either, could end up with a promotion or with really good connections/references. Seriously, good luck, I can't imagine how hard it must have been for you mentally up until now.

Years
    Personally I'd settle for dishwashing if there was nothing else available at the time, and I really needed money/funds. I think it's always a good idea to keep yourself active and working as hard as you can until a better opportunity comes up. You never know what that dishwashing can lead to either, could end up with a promotion or with really good connections/references. Seriously, good luck, I can't imagine how hard it must have been for you mentally up until now.

That's how I got my first job as a cook, got promoted from a dishwasher because I worked hard and wanted it. And thank you, I appreciate it.

Back