• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Getting crap past the radar

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2014
    You know those moments on TV when you realize that they got an inappropriate past the censors and as a kid, you hadn't known until now. Or when they blatantly get away with something that, at the time and rating, wouldn't have flown otherwise. Yeah, let's talk about those moments. WARNING: this may thoroughly ruin your childhood six ways from Sunday.

Animaniacs was famous for these:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xmAC9Qu908

As is Gravity Falls: Grunkle Stan - Now who wants to put on some blindfolds and get into my car? - YouTube

Stan Vac - YouTube

Anyone know any good ones.

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
    Years
    I was watching SpongeBob last night and Squidward pulls a rope out (he's depressed throughout the episode) and he's says. "This'll fix everything." (paraphrased) and he strings the rope up, he then pulls it and a bird cage is on the end who chirps for him (supposedly to make him happier) but any teen to adult would understand exactly what the "joke" was about.

I was quite surprised.

Another example (and it was fixed) is when Mordecai from Regular Show said "pissed" in an episode, uncensored. I watched it a month later and it was changed to "ticked".

pompayyy

Forever and Ever
    Years
    ^ goddangit, creepypasta flashbacks are happening to me ;_;.

Well on Rocko's Modern Life, they get away with a TON. In fact there's multiple banned scenes and even an episode that involve sexual innuendo. One scene in particular has Rocko asking Heffer "Is that a sausage in your pocket?" and another scene involving a hotel called the "No-Tell Motel".

And Regular Show had "pissed" a lot. I think the first episode had a line going like "How the H are we gonna fix this S?", but later it was changed to "Heck" and 'Stuff".

pokemasta92

3rd Gen. Enthusiast
    Years
    Another example (and it was fixed) is when Mordecai from Regular Show said "pissed" in an episode, uncensored. I watched it a month later and it was changed to "ticked".
    I was hanging out with my little brother and overheard a character from the show say pissed and I looked up and was like woah they say that now? It isn't a horrible word, but I've obviously never heard it on a cartoon before considering it caught my attention right away. It made me feel so old!

And I'm sure you're all familiar with the banned Pokémon episode that was only released in Japan. Jessie and James were disguised as big breasted bikini women and were making fun of Misty for...not being big breasted. It wasn't an innuendo or hidden message, but I wanted to mention it.

pompayyy

Forever and Ever
    Years
    God, I'm remembering an episode of Cow & Chicken called "Buffalo Gals", and HOW THE HECK THAT GET ON THE AIR?!?! Literally, it's filled to the brim with lesbian references. Obvious ones, like a line that says "Oh, the Buffalo Gals, a motorcycle riding gang that randomly bursts into people's homes and chews on their carpet." and a character named "Munch Kelly". Fortunately, it got banned and was only aired once.

T!M

Years
    God, I'm remembering an episode of Cow & Chicken called "Buffalo Gals", and HOW THE HECK THAT GET ON THE AIR?!?! Literally, it's filled to the brim with lesbian references. Obvious ones, like a line that says "Oh, the Buffalo Gals, a motorcycle riding gang that randomly bursts into people's homes and chews on their carpet." and a character named "Munch Kelly". Fortunately, it got banned and was only aired once.

Oh yeah, I remember that one. I know this one never got past the censors but has anyone ever heard of the banned Dexter's Lab episode called "Rude Removal"?

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
    Modern Family started to do this a lot in the newest season. It sucks, because now they pull out sexual references to be funny, and they didn't do that a whole lot in the earlier ones. And also my brother loves this show, and now he keeps asking questions and it's becoming more awkward. lol. I also walk in on him watching Regular Show a lot, and yeah, they say lots of stuff that he doesn't notice, which is somewhat amusing.

pompayyy

Forever and Ever
    Years
    Oh yeah, I remember that one. I know this one never got past the censors but has anyone ever heard of the banned Dexter's Lab episode called "Rude Removal"?

Oh yeah, I never got around to watching it though (I think it's on the adult swim website). I know it's a joke and all, but from what I hear it's pretty crude. And I know that it's not an episode of the show, but has anybody seen 2 In The AM PM by J.G Quintel? That's the guy who makes Regular Show (dang, that cartoon gets mentioned a ton around here), and they cuss (a ton) and even take acid. It's a good short film though.

T!M

Years
    Oh yeah, I never got around to watching it though (I think it's on the adult swim website). I know it's a joke and all, but from what I hear it's pretty crude. And I know that it's not an episode of the show, but has anybody seen 2 In The AM PM by J.G Quintel? That's the guy who makes Regular Show (dang, that cartoon gets mentioned a ton around here), and they cuss (a ton) and even take acid. It's a good short film though.

Yeah, I saw it. It was considered the pilot to Regular Show in some cases, mainly because of the appearance of both Mordocai and Benson.

Years
    Lots of jokes from the Animaniacs were like this. I never understood them until I watched the cartoon again recently and realised!!!!

Years
    Batman: the Animated Series and the Justice League series had a lot of innuendos in their shows. There's one episode of Batman where Harley Quinn is flirting with the Joker and says "Wanna rev up your Harley?" as she's straddling his desk.

Then apparently there was a moment in the Justice League where the Flash calls himself the "fastest man alive," and someone responds by saying "It's no wonder why he can't get a date."

T!M

Years
    d00d! I just saw this Adventure Time 'sode where an obvious Abraham Lincoln character is in the show. At the end he talks to Death and strikes a deal with him. I don't remember the contents of the deal or what it was about as I tuned-in late game, but I saw Lincoln say: "I'll [trade] my immortality." Death agrees and the screen fades white. We then hear a gun shot. O_O

A reference to his assassination. ON A CARTOON! In cartoons it's "alright", I guess, to reference to his death, but to make a very obvious sound seems inappropriate to me.

«Chuckles»

Sharky
    Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2023
    Adventure time gets away with everything though, its rating is like if we went ten years back it would be that but the rating laws are stricter now and kids are really sheltered by some cartoons. I know the regular show airs stuff then edits it out in reruns which is weird imo I also know that there have been a few scenes in yugioh and stuff that 4kids forgot to edit out.

T!M

Years
    ^Like when Pegasus' guards are pointing at you and yelling at you to stop?

(Because they're suppose to have guns?)

Back