• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokeemerald] Ghoul's Expansion Branch

Years
    • Seen Apr 15, 2024
    Hello everyone,

I've recently gotten tired of syncing so many branches, so I figured it can't be fun for newer hackers interested in decomps, either. I figured combining a bunch of my popular branches into one might be a good way to soften the barrier to entry for decompers.

So I present a new branch, ghoul_expansion. It includes:
    • auto_run
    • bag_sort
    • custom_givemon
    • dexnav
    • follow_me
    • overworld-expansion
    • quest_menu
    • saveblock
    • sideways_stairs

Some GIFs of the above branches:
    Spoiler:

To get it:

Years
    • Seen May 14, 2022
    Hi mate, just stating to learn decomps after messing around with rom hacking. I feel like I'm kinda just grinding my head against a wall trying to get this working with dizzy egg's stuff. Is there any advice you can give on resolving conflicts there?

I've seen general advice that's just remove everything from the head but in some cases the incoming code doesn't look like it should go where it's going or functions that apparently conflict but don't seem to at all. I feel like I've tried it every way and still can't get it to compile :(

[EDIT]

I've just attempted to merge the two again together and recorded all of the conflicts that occurred as well as my though process behind them. A lot of it seems rather obvious and I think I'm really close but something is still not right.

I've tried to format this all as nicely as possible but it has been a very long time since using a forum activly so forgive me if there's some formatting erros or walls of text 😅

in src/battle_ai_switch_items.c - Removing head makes sense here to me
    Spoiler:

in src/battle_main.c -This I don't entirely understand, should I keep the all the code or just remove the head? I'm going to keep both as it doesn't seem like it'd hurt.
    Spoiler:

in src/battle_scrip_commands - Removing head
    Spoiler:

in src/berry.c - removing head as well, from what I understand we're removing all the references to the e-reader berry and replacing them with another to free save data?

Spoiler:

in src/data/items.h - there are lots of key items here that are being added over items from dizzyegg's item expansion, these key items are defined later on in the file so I'll be removing
    them from the incomming code. I'll still spoiler each one here just incase something is wrong.
    Spoiler:

Now there are lots of 'conflicts' with nothing in the head, I'm just removing all the lines git has added here as it isn't a conflict.

Spoiler:
    A little different here, just removing incomming code as it refers to the berry pouch instead. Secret key, bike voucher, gold teeth, card key, lift key, silph scope then also have conflicts with nothing in their heads so git lines just get removed.
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 15, 2024
    It's tough to help with conflicts on pokecommunity, particularly this many - I suggest going to discord to help with individual ones that are especially tricky.

How do you get the scripts? I tried the commands but they do not work.
    Which scripts? you can find the IDs for new script commands in data/script_cmd_table.inc. Make sure the IDs match those in asm/macros/event.inc

Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2022
    I, physically, couldn't be happier right now! Been having merge conflicts for the past two weeks! I wish I knew this existed man

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2023
    Hi! how can i add this branch to my pokeemerald-expansion decomp? I don't really understand the "To get it" tutorial. Are these commands for a terminal?
    PS: Your work is astonishing ghoul!

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2023

I don't really understand. I'm probably missing some steps, but this is what I got after typing "git remote add ghoul https://github.com/ghoulslash/pokeemerald" and "git pull ghoul ghoul_expansion":

hint: Pulling without specifying how to reconcile divergent branches is
    hint: discouraged. You can squelch this message by running one of the following
    hint: commands sometime before your next pull:
    hint:
    hint: git config pull.rebase false # merge (the default strategy)
    hint: git config pull.rebase true # rebase
    hint: git config pull.ff only # fast-forward only
    hint:
    hint: You can replace "git config" with "git config --global" to set a default
    hint: preference for all repositories. You can also pass --rebase, --no-rebase,
    hint: or --ff-only on the command line to override the configured default per
    hint: invocation.
    remote: Enumerating objects: 1690, done.
    remote: Counting objects: 100% (1332/1332), done.
    remote: Total 1690 (delta 1332), reused 1332 (delta 1332), pack-reused 358
    Receiving objects: 100% (1690/1690), 2.82 MiB | 28.00 KiB/s, done.
    Resolving deltas: 100% (1425/1425), completed with 427 local objects.
    From https://github.com/ghoulslash/pokeemerald
    * branch ghoul_expansion -> FETCH_HEAD
    * [new branch] ghoul_expansion -> ghoul/ghoul_expansion
    error: Your local changes to the following files would be overwritten by merge:
    data/layouts/PetalburgCity/map.bin
    Please commit your changes or stash them before you merge.
    Aborting

It's like waitng for me to merge the branch of ghoul and my pokeemerald-expansion project, but I can't find out what to do. If there exists a command to compile everithing together, what is it? Thanks!

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • I don't really understand. I'm probably missing some steps, but this is what I got after typing "git remote add ghoul https://github.com/ghoulslash/pokeemerald" and "git pull ghoul ghoul_expansion":
    error: Your local changes to the following files would be overwritten by merge:
    data/layouts/PetalburgCity/map.bin
    Please commit your changes or stash them before you merge.
    Aborting
    It's like waitng for me to merge the branch of ghoul and my pokeemerald-expansion project, but I can't find out what to do. If there exists a command to compile everithing together, what is it? Thanks!
    You're misunderstanding.
    Right there, Git is telling you that you made changes of your own to the file data/layouts/PetalburgCity/map.bin.
    You need to either discard those changes or pack them in a commit in order to be allowed to perform a git pull. Git wouldn't be able to know what to do with the changes on its own.

Coincidentally, the aforementioned tutorial talks about commits.

Back