• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

girls and pokemon?

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    I'm not really a 'hardcore' gamer, as I don't like playing competitively. However, I've started to EV train my Pokemon as bit, as long as breed for the correct nature and such things. I've also started to focus more on what I give me pokemon as in movesets, rather than just going with the flow of what the Pokemon learn by leveling up. I've still yet to learn IV, but I'll get there. (b ' ')b One step at a time, yo.

I do like my cute adorable Pokemon, but I also like Pokemon like Steelix, Feraligatr, and other such Pokemon as well.

As for playing in public... Let's just say that whenever I get the chance I pull out my gameboy and play it in public, like on the bus and in some of my classes. (In fact, me and four guys were all playing Pokemon in my fourth period today. XD; ) I don't know any other girls irl at my school that actually play Pokemon, but I'm sure as heck not the only one, as shown in the last three pages. c:

Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2012
    I know quite a few girls who play Pokemon... :D
    Pokemon isn't exactly gender specific... I guess it depends who is in your circle of friends on who you see playing Pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2023
    my cousins play pokemon and their girls.
    i met this hardcore pokemon chick and she was the coolest person EVAR.
    ehe. but pokemon isnt really in where i live i think... only a few of my friends play and thats all... :/

IMO, any gender can play pokemon though.

Years
    I know a girl who plays Pokemon. I'm fairly certain she's literally insane, though.

I don't know anyone over like 10 who plays in public, though. Honestly, it's just not really that cool.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2016
    I know plenty of girls who play Pokémon. Just because Pokémon is supposed to be 'directed more towards boys', it doesn't mean girls won't play it. It also doesn't mean that the girls who do play it 'play it hardcore'. 10-year-old girls and 10-year-old boys play it just like any other child plays a video game: Without really understanding what they're doing.

I don't know anyone over like 10 who plays in public, though.
    Tch, I do. . >.>​

Years
    I think I'm a female. Yup, pretty sure I am.
    We're out there, I mean I play Pokemon all the time in public places, but really there are more male players than females. Especially when it gets to hardcore playing. It's just something guys like more than girls, I guess.
    I started going competitive last year and so I'm doing all the EV/IV stuff nowadays.

And I have hundred of the TCG cards, a ton of Pokemon plushies, some figurines, and I'm in the process of making a Pokemon Gijinka outfit.
    And actually at my school I've seen a lot of girls with Pokemon related accessories. Today I saw someone walk down the hall with a Cubone keychain on their backpack. And someone in my Spanish class has a Pikachu bag.

We're out there. You aren't searching hard enough, I guess =P

[And I tend to play my handhelds in public quite a bit, I have both a PSP and a DS and I play those before class all the time.]

Although really I haven't seen that many other females around here playing games. Period. I think some are just ashamed about it. And I know Xbox has nothing Pokemon related, but recently I saw a thread on the GameSpot forum about how girls got mistreated on Xbox Live, so lots of them didn't even use the microphones.
    The way I see it [and I'm not saying anyone here does it] but some people think that if a girl can't play a game good. It's because they're a girl. So I know a couple people who won't play games in public because they're worried that they'll be dissed because they're a girl if they aren't an 'expert' at the game.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Well, all the "cool" people started getting out their Red,Blue,Gold,Silver,Crystal out before christmas, and all the girls at my school laughed at them.So Cumbrian girls generally don't play pokemon obviously.

Inpu

Rocket Lieutenant
    Years
    • Seen Oct 30, 2010
    Someone always asks this question no matter what the topic or site it is, and the posters will always receive the same answer: yes, of course.

So for future reference, if you have to ask "Do girls play ___?", just save yourself some time, tell yourself "yes", and think about something else.

I know plenty of girls who play Pokémon. Just because Pokémon is supposed to be 'directed more towards boys', it doesn't mean girls won't play it.

I don't agree with this. In fact, I think that since Crystal that they've gone out of their way to make it accessible by both genders. Otherwise, there wouldn't be a gender option at the beginning of every game =/

Katie_Q

Pokemon master in the making
    Years
    I wouldn't call myself hardcore. I'm not to smart with it. But I do play every game. I usually take my ds with me in my handbag, but when I'm out, I'm usually out because I want to be. So instead of playing I'll be shopping (sometimes for more games) or hanging out with friends etc. Sometimes though, if I'm waiting for mum to do the grocery shopping I'll play in public.

Munch Dog

Growlithe!
    Years
    I know a girl that I talk pokemon with nearly every day. She plays a lot more hardcore than I do too, doing all that EV stuff and whatnot. So yeah, as just about everyone has said, they're out there.

Dunsparce

The Land Snake Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I have a female friend IRL. She's 7 months older than me, but still likes Pokemon.

While not nessisarily hardcore, she has started to EV train her Pokemon.

Crimson Arcanine

The majestic and mythical
    Years
    I've seen both guys and girls that play Pokemon, in fact for a long time in high school years ago, and also when I did tertiary education most of the folks that I knew that played were female. As of at this moment I know of 3 others with any sort of interest in Pokemon that are either a relative or live close. All of them are older fans (There is one who is 40), asll of them being over the age of 18.

Trap-Eds

Dig a hole, dig a hole........
    Years
    Lol. I'm a fifteen year-old girl, and I play Pokemon. I dunno if I'd call myself a hardcore trainer, since I just play to play and not to kill defeat anybody other than the in-game characters. But my highest is Empoleon at Lvl 85, and I'm trying to get into EV training-since every Pokemon in Platinum that I was planning on training now has the Pokerus-but I'm lazy. >.<

Years
    • Seen Oct 15, 2010
    Well, as everyone said, Pokemon is not gender-related. But anyway... I don't see girls playing Pokémon in public, cause they think it's for smaller children and they laugh at people that play them. Heck with them! Pokémon is for everyone!

Greetings, DarkMartio.

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
    Years
    I know some girls who play Pokemon, and even if I didn't, I don't think gender is an issue here. ^^

SquirtleGirl

Pokémon: 10 years + Counting..
    Years
    Well I'm definitely gonna carry my DS around in my pocket alot more XD

I think in relation to DS consoles being for little kids I couldn't really care less. In fact you can play them anywhere, which is useful as I attend boarding school and couldn't really enjoy an XBox, PS3 or whatever.

Also I'm not hardcore. Yet. I need to find out all about these aformentioned IVs EVs and things *goes to find somewhere about it*
    Though mostly I play for fun!

And my boyfriend is just as obsessed with Pokémon as I am so that's no issue. His Charizard does kick my butt though XD
    And my Best Friend is obsessed too. Though she's a more hardcore gamer than I am because she plays Halo, COD and all that cause she has a little brother. We often nerd in about pokémon on the phone for hours

Brother: What have you been talking to her about for THREE HOURS? Make up? Fashion? Hair?
    Me: Pokémon.
    Brother: O.O WTf? :L

My brother is older and doesnt let me join in often. His games are either sports or games like Assasains Creed which are too full of blood for me :P

but back to the topic I think more girls play it than you think but because other girls are more judgemental about things like videogames [this is just me going on the stereotype of girls] and they keep it secret. I mean It's not that I don't enjoy girly things but Videogames are quite alien to a majority of females where I live anyway.
    I play my games everywhere. Especially in places where you'd be waiting for a little while e.g. Airports, Train stations. And everyone knows I'm playing pokémon because my Pokémon sapphire cartridge is sticking out of the bottom of my DS :P

Okami Chi

El Guitar Man~
    Years
    *cough*stereotyping*cough* Yeah like the other 589 posts said before me. Pokemon is not for one gender. There are girl Pokemon trainers out there. ;)

-Okami

Nikorasu

Shut down the devil sound
    Years
    I've never known a girl to play pokemon(there obviously is some)

Only see girls playing on Ds' with like.. Nintendogs >.<

Back