• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Girls in Varsity Co-Ed Athletics

Should girls be on sports teams with boys and facing boys in athletic competitions?

• Yes

Votes: 17 65.4%
  • No

Votes: 9 34.6%

• Total voters
    Years
    Most everyone has gone to watch their hometown team play their division rival, but there's one aspect of athletics that always raises an eyebrow, no matter how often it occurs, when there's a female on the field, playing with the boys. This has always been relevant in my mind, but none more so than when I read this article. Another ironic thing here, is that guys face as much of a problem when they have to go up against a girl in competition as a girl does when she chooses to play with a mostly male team. To put it simply, "if you beat the girl, you look like a jerk, if you lose, you look weak." There are exceptions of course, such as one of the hockey teams at my school, which has 3 girls on it, most of whom are treated differently and unjustly by guys on the opposing teams. Sure, there's girls out there that could play with the guys, such as Baylor's Britney Griner, but most males see themselves as physically dominant, and usually are. Another thing I'm curious as to is how girls prefer to be treated on the field. I'm assuming most wanted to be treated as competitive equals, but perhaps some hope one of her male opponents will "go easy" on her. Anyhow, that's my two cents on girls in co-ed athletics, I'm hoping to hear everyone's view on this.

Years
    I see what you did there.

Personally, I have no trouble with it, as I've played against girls in a Men's Varsity Lacrosse game before. (It was a bit awkward though) If they're prepared for the violent nature of men's lacrosse, then more power to them. Plus, Title IX actually allows for this, it's a mandated law at the High school level.

Years
    the article said:
    A standout Iowa high school wrestler refused to compete against a girl at the state tournament on Thursday, relinquishing any chance of becoming a champion because he says wrestling a girl would conflict with his religious beliefs.
    That's his tough break. He chose to follow whatever religious beliefs he has and no one should have to change their behavior to accommodate him. If some guy doesn't want to compete with a girl then he shouldn't have to, just like if some guy doesn't want to compete with another guy, and so on.

If having girls and guys mix in sport makes it difficult for the guys because of some chivalrous/religious/whatever feeling then that's something they'll just have to reconcile with themselves. A girl is not going to want to compete with guys in the hopes that they'll "go easy on her", not in serious competition anyway.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    I think girls should be allowed to go up against guys in what ever sport they desire...actually I wish girls and guys didn't have separate teams but one team...

Blue Nocturne

Not THAT one.
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 6, 2013
    As long as Girls are being let into teams and co-ed competitions based on merit, and not on something stupid like "Ah but we have to, by law have at least 30% girls, so this awesome, yet male, athlete will have to go for this mediocre female one", then why should I be bothered?

ShinyMeowth

Gone forever
    Years
    I am a huge supporter of gender equality, and so I believe women should have the same rights of access to such tournaments as men. It is ridiculous in any sector of life, to give somebody more privileges than someone else, due to their gender. It is a form of racism, and as such should be frowned upon. I applaud those girls for entering that tournament. Normally, I would accuse the guy of being sexist, since his remarks imply that women are less qualified than men when it comes to various things, but I am going to excuse him due to his religious beliefs causing that to happen.

Meduza

Majestic Dawn
    Years
    • Seen Jul 8, 2014
    Girls are just as equal as guys, and should be allowed to compete with and against them.

And on the article, they had a poll if a guy should wrestle a girl. I voted yes and it turns out 27% said Yes while 73 said No.

-_-

Rena Ryuugu

はぅ〜
    Years
    I think that girls who are considered "varsity level" are on the same athletic level as boys who are varsity, and I really have no problem with girls who choose to do so in any sport.

Lambda

Boss of Team Plasma
    Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2011
    Im for that Females and males being equal. But when it comes down to it males are most of the time stronger and tougher than females.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    This is more of an issue of actual physical differences, but if women are strong enough or whatever for the area they're participating in to match men, I see no problem with it. If a guy doesn't want to compete with a girl, tough.

PokéSwimmer

Keeping time time time
    Years
    I think that girls who are considered "varsity level" are on the same athletic level as boys who are varsity, and I really have no problem with girls who choose to do so in any sport.

I agree with this. While the majority of women athletes at the collegiate level are not at the same athletic level as the men, there definitely are women who are at the same level ore better than some of the men in their sport. I believe they should be allowed to compete alongside them. What women may lack in strength, they can make up in skill.

There are, however, cases in which women are stronger than men in their sport. When I was doing club Water Polo, there was one girl on the team (club Polo is allowed to do CoEd sports), who was not only the best player on the team, but she was also the strongest (she later got recruited to a Divison 1 College) Our team was fairly experienced and it's not like we were entirely made up of skinny people , this girl was just ridiculously strong and very good at the game.

Cooker

As free as my hair
    Years
    Lawl, I read this in the paper a few days ago!

I don't know, I guess it's the chick's choice- if she's good enough, then why not let her play? But girls shouldn't get any special treatment on a boys team, then that's just unfair. I think the kid should've wrestled her, personally.

WriteThemWrong

LetMeHearYourPokemon's___ Voice
    Years
    i've read some sports articles about girls playing not just well but dominating in high school sports. like some girls playing high school football and being the best on the field whenever they're playing and i could honestly see some females in the MLB before the end of this decade and even some in the NFL by the next

Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2011
    I think there will always be people who would rather compete with their own sex, for one reason or another (not just due to performance differences, if those exist). Only problem is making separate competitions for those who opt for same sex competitions requires more time and resources.

~Darkness~

NJ All Day
    Years
    Coming from a guy, I dont think I would personally want to play any sport against a girl. Like a girl playing football, could you really tackle a girl? I wouldnt. But its probably easier on the schools budget to have one team of mixed genders. I'm neither for, nor against.

Years
    I think it's bad and quite selfish IMO. It's not a matter if whether or not a girl can stand up to a guy, it's about what kind of position he'll be put in. If a guy loses to a girl he's seen as a weakling, if a guy beats a girl, he's seen as a bad guy. Women should be understanding about this. Men should face men and women should face women.

Years
    • Seen Feb 24, 2011
    If there's going to be any equality there needs to be a level of respect, an making judgment calls based on a societal view that has no bounds in actuality is silly. If they're held to the same standards, and are at the same competing level, then play. It's supposed to be about prowess and skill, not "Omg I'm playing with girls!" One of the few areas of competition I find girls have equal footing with is video games, and I'm assuming it's mainly the lack of physical contact. I personally think, considering that boys refused twice now, if he does it one more time he should be kicked. If he doesn't want to play by the rules he shouldn't be playing at all.

Years
    I personally think, considering that boys refused twice now, if he does it one more time he should be kicked. If he doesn't want to play by the rules he shouldn't be playing at all.

Why should he be kicked for following his religious beliefs when they aren't harming anybody? Besides, he IS playing by the rules. It's in the rules of the sport in Iowa that a player can forfeit if he or she so chooses. :\

I agree with Kura. It's down to the individual's decision if they want to play.

Back