• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

God Pokemon

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueEew

PokeProject - GO!
    Years
    I dont see how it can't be the god...I just don't...only real argument i've heard is mew, well did mew come befor arceus, no. Arceus was the first egg and pokemon, it created mew, nuff said.

Arceus created Mew? Why do you think that?

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
    Arceus created Mew? Why do you think that?

Mew: "Because it can use all kinds of moves, many scientists believe Mew to be the ancestor of Pokémon."

Arceus: "It is told in mythology that this Pokémon was born before the universe even existed."
    "Two beings of time and space set free from the Original One"

Since Arceus created Palkia and Dialga, it can be assumed that it created everything else too.
    Like all good stories, we make up the rest of the story and believe what we believe.
    It's interpretation, really.

Last edited:

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
    So what do you think Mews Pokedex entry means then?

It's paradoxical since Arceus itself is a Pokemon, and since it existed before the creation
    of the universe, then Mew must have not existed, even though it is its ancestor.

Spontaneous generation or something.

It all boils down to the question of: "Which came first, the Arceus or the Mew?"

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    Arceus MUST be the god of the pokemon universe.

Although mew is the ancestor of all pokemon, this must exclude the six originals(Arc. Dia. Pal. Ux. Mes. Aze.) Because they created the requrment for life
    Creation, time, space, wisdom, willpower, and emotion.Without those requirments from those Ultranatural( i mean, ghost pokemon are supernatural already) there would be no life, so Mew must have been the first true pokemon and through some sort of asexual/SG magic, rose other pokemon. Humans are still unknown, but they may have been accidents.

Though it said "Arceus shaped the universe with a thousand arms" that doesn't mean the pokemon world is pokejewish with Yaweh the creator and arceus the shaper and secondary. (What insanity anyway)

Cheez

Infinity©
    Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2021
    Arceus MUST be the god of the pokemon universe.

Although mew is the ancestor of all pokemon, this must exclude the six originals(Arc. Dia. Pal. Ux. Mes. Aze.) Because they created the requrment for life
    Creation, time, space, wisdom, willpower, and emotion.Without those requirments from those Ultranatural( i mean, ghost pokemon are supernatural already) there would be no life, so Mew must have been the first true pokemon and through some sort of asexual/SG magic, rose other pokemon. Humans are still unknown, but they may have been accidents.

Though it said "Arceus shaped the universe with a thousand arms" that doesn't mean the pokemon world is pokejewish with Yaweh the creator and arceus the shaper and secondary. (What insanity anyway)

Arceus MAY be a god. The only proof we have of his "god" status is the Pokedex and a couple of books, which were created/written by humans. Humans who would have absolutely no way of knowing what went down at the creation of the Pokeverse.

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
    Arceus MAY be a god. The only proof we have of his "god" status is the Pokedex and a couple of books, which were created/written by humans. Humans who would have absolutely no way of knowing what went down at the creation of the Pokeverse.

I'll take a chip...
    AND EAT IT.

But Arceus must at least be a rather powerful Pokemon, seeing as
    there is only one and there are magical artifacts that are designed
    specifically for it (meaning the Plates, Flute, etc.).

We should give him "king" status :o

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
    I don't even know what Arceus is. o_O

Arceus is the believed god of pokemon... this is what we are debating...

Now I still am beside the fact that arceus and what it relates to, pangu and kirin...

Im standing by that, and yes a movie would make solid proof, and 10 gave us some when they talked about dialga and palkia

Dunsparce

The Land Snake Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023

More than what Mew has for it being first, which is JUST a 'dex entry, which was also created by humans.

Also, remember that Arceus is base 120 in everything, making its stat total 720, The Highest Stat total in the game.

Not to mention Ancient Plates can make it become any of the 17 basic types, and has a ??? Type sprite in the data. It can get STAB from ANY MOVE IT CAN LEARN.

BlueEew

PokeProject - GO!
    Years
    I don't think the stats are really a good excuse to be a god. It may have 120, all stats. There are other Pokemon that have like 180 in stats. Not all the way around, but on some stats.

Years
    Gods can't be locked in a Pokeball. Remember that.
    In Anime, Arceus might be, because, well, Ash can't catch it. (If Ash can't, others can't :P )
    But in games, it's only a Pokemon.
    I agree with Gymnotide. Maybe a king. But God, no, surely no.

GamerFreak

PokéCommunity Helper
    Years
    Hello.:)

Well, of course it is merely mythical, but yes he has utter power of all of the other Pokemon,a s he created the Pokemon universe.

Qlin, or Quolin seems to be referenced by Arceus, so yes, he/she is a god-like Pokemon.​

Commander_Latios

The man of Eternal Boredom...
    Years
    i personally believe that arceus is a god-pokemon. I also have what i believe to be a logical answer for why it can be caught.

first off, the previously-mentioned conenctions to various mythology makes a lot of sense. secondly (and this is just a minor detail) the entrance to it's chamber (dimension? area? chamber? i don't know what to call it...) is at spear pillar, which i believe relates to roman mythology (not sure, but i heard that somewhere...) and of course, there's the fact that it is every type, the strongest wildy (wild poke) in the game, and all that stuffs people say about it ingame.

also, why can it be caught if it's a god? well, my answer to that is simple. In order to physically appear on earth, in the mortal realm, the gods must create for themselves an avatar or mortal body. This body has power, but it is in a weakened state, as the mortal or physical form cannot directly control such great power. (and by mortal, i don't mean they can die. I mean, they have a physical form that people can directly interact with, etc etc...) Thus, it is only this avatar of arceus, so to speak, which you capture.

does that make sense? if not, let me know and I can try to make it easier to understand (i rewrote this three times before i could understand it....)

Years
    Ah, yes. Forgot about that avatar thing..
    One more : Some native people summon Gods using sacrifices etc.
    So, in this case, the Azure Flute?

Hmmm... Now I'm inclined
    to think that Arceus is again a God, or Pokemon god at least...

Dunsparce

The Land Snake Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    For one, it's a POKEMON GAME.

God or not, you can catch it. WHY would Nintendo create a Pokemon you COULDN'T catch?

THink more of "It's just a videogame and thus anything can happen" ratehr then "Everything in videogames has to make sense to work"

With a world full of Psychics, Human Ghosts, and Fire-breathing Lightning-farting animals, having a deity you can catch is not really stretching it all that much.

Also, the Japanese are very spiritual people. I wouldn't put it past them to make a deity in a Pokemon game. There ae VERY few atheists in Japan(Even less than there are Christains, which only make up 0.7% of the population)... most are Shinto or Buddist.

Years
    • Age 35
    • Orre
    • Seen Feb 1, 2023
    This is a rather interesting little topic. I especially love how this is just like religion, too. You have one side believing Arceus is "God" and another denying such a thing. The latter side is akin to people saying "I won't believe Jesus/Buddah/whatever is God until I see proof!"/"The Bible is manmade and it says that he is God!" In this case, replace "Bible" with "Pokedex". Seriously, now, this is the same argument. It all comes down to faith, really. Ever notice that each region of the "Pokeverse" seems to have its own belief?

Game Freak's pretty clever when you think about it, in putting in that element of faith. Like whether you believe Arceus is God or not, or whether you believe that all Pokemon come from the Cave of Origin (Hoenn's belief), or whether you believe that they come from Tin Tower (Johto's belief), or even whether you believe they come from space (Kanto's, at least in the anime, anyway). The Sinnoh region just seems to be the first to actually outright state that their belief is a religious one, but in a sense they all are.

Has anyone here actually taken a look at Tin Tower? It's very much like the Shintoist temple rituals. And if I recall correctly, the manga adaption of the anime (The Electric Tale of Pikachu, was it?) stated that in ancient times humans believed all Pokemon to be gods. Pretty interesting stuff here. Pokemon's had religion all along, but Diamond and Pearl were the first games in the series that outright confirm it in a sense.

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
    This is a rather interesting little topic. I especially love how this is just like religion, too. You have one side believing Arceus is "God" and another denying such a thing. The latter side is akin to people saying "I won't believe Jesus/Buddah/whatever is God until I see proof!"/"The Bible is manmade and it says that he is God!" In this case, replace "Bible" with "Pokedex". Seriously, now, this is the same argument. It all comes down to faith, really. Ever notice that each region of the "Pokeverse" seems to have its own belief?

Game Freak's pretty clever when you think about it, in putting in that element of faith. Like whether you believe Arceus is God or not, or whether you believe that all Pokemon come from the Cave of Origin (Hoenn's belief), or whether you believe that they come from Tin Tower (Johto's belief), or even whether you believe they come from space (Kanto's, at least in the anime, anyway). The Sinnoh region just seems to be the first to actually outright state that their belief is a religious one, but in a sense they all are.

Has anyone here actually taken a look at Tin Tower? It's very much like the Shintoist temple rituals. And if I recall correctly, the manga adaption of the anime (The Electric Tale of Pikachu, was it?) stated that in ancient times humans believed all Pokemon to be gods. Pretty interesting stuff here. Pokemon's had religion all along, but Diamond and Pearl were the first games in the series that outright confirm it in a sense.

wow, nice post for your fourth....

It really is belief here guys, like greek mythology with countless gods, or our supposed "main" one god.

Though we know for a FACT, in the 10th movie Dialga and Palkia are considered and refered to as god figures, and easy to see the power they hold, so I don't see how I can make arceus lower in this case.

I think there are three main deitys, Arceus is the original one and created the pokemon to start and maintain life, followed with making the pokeuniverse with the creation of dialga and palkia, and the trio to contain that in case of, well you know the storyline. :P

And speaking of Mew, I kinda think of mew as arceus's right hand man, we "think" arceus is in sleep as stated in the books and such, so as I think mew is arceus eyes and ears and so forth you knoow?

Anyways... on the discussion of god captured with a pokeball, stop it! Seriously, nintendo has to let every pokemon be caught in the game, no matter the height in position...

I think arceus is a godly figure, and at the moment, that's what i'll believe, as I don't see any other pokemon that has the role other then arceus...

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Nov 9, 2021
    I'm all for pointless debates, but do you guys really think debating the "god" status of a fictional creature is really going to get anywhere?

Bellomence

Dragon Rider
    Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2011
    And speaking of Mew, I kinda think of mew as arceus's right hand man, we "think" arceus is in sleep as stated in the books and such, so as I think mew is arceus eyes and ears and so forth you knoow?

OK. I like this kind of debate. This is like a debate of religions in the real world. I like it how GameFreak designed the Pokemon World as a resemblance of the world where we live.

Who has the guts to say that Mew is Arceus' right hand despite the fact that there is no established proof or fact that Mew and Arceus has a relationship? Mew and Arceus are not even near to having a relationship to each other. There is no established fact that they met each other, not even the fact that Mew is Arceus 'servant right hand', not even a fact that Arceus made Mew or Arceus came from Mew. There is no proof that Mew is serving Arceus to become his 'eyes and ears'.

Mew and Arceus had their own legends, as people of Kanto are not even aware of Arceus' existence. Few of Sinnoh's population is aware of Mew's existence but needs proof as said in the expression "To see is to believe". They can't have a relationship to each other. Period.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back