• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Good competitive team?

GlitchyShadowZ

Great Supremacy Of The Garchomp Legion
    Years
    Good Competitive Team?

Hardy Snorlax: Rest, Crunch, Belly Drum and Recycle @ Lum Berry
    Sassy Charizard (X): Flare Blitz, Solar Beam, Fire Blast and Steel Wing @ Charizardite X
    Naive Garchomp: Dragon Claw (Soon probably Draco Meteor), Dragon Rush, Sand Tomb and Toxic @ Soft Sand
    Timid Gengar: Hex, Brick Break, Will O Wisp and Sludge Wave @ Black Sludge
    Gentle Greninja: Hydro Pump, Substitute, Haze and Water Shuriken @ Mystic Water
    Unfinished Lvl 1 Honedge. (Hasty) @ Iron Plate

(Gengar Brick Break is to deal with Dark Types)
    Also, That Honedge is going to be an Aegislash ofcourse lol.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Time to review your team.

Garchomp: you should really add some coverage to Fairy and Ice-types since you have so many stabs moves it's just best limit to 2 or 1 stab moves and both Dragon Rush and Dragon Claware decent moves I always go with Dragon Claw on this one since it's good base power and accuracy, Dragon Rush sometimes miss and you might go use Earthquake
    Moves recommend:

• Iron Head (good against ice and fairy)
    • Earthquake (if you don't plan to triple/double battle)
    • Choose either Dragon Claw/Dragon Rush
    Charizard X: Fire blast only good with Charizard Y since utilizing drought ability pretty well, you should maybe teach it dragon claw since it add bit of boost due to tough claws again just so much or bit little coverage.

Gengar: I think your good here, but did you know gengar could learn Dazzling Gleam it good with it's special attack stats

Greninja: You can't sub from Pixilated Hyper Voice and you may need bit of coverage against Grass & Fighting also Hydro is raw power, but misses a lot.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Time to review your team.

Garchomp: you should really add some coverage to Fairy and Ice-types since you have so many stabs moves it's just best limit to 2 or 1 stab moves and both Dragon Rush and Dragon Claware decent moves I always go with Dragon Claw on this one since it's good base power and accuracy, Dragon Rush sometimes miss and you might go use Earthquake
    Moves recommend:

• Iron Head (good against ice and fairy)
    • Earthquake (if you don't plan to triple/double battle)
    • Choose either Dragon Claw/Dragon Rush
    Charizard X: Fire blast only good with Charizard Y since utilizing drought ability pretty well, you should maybe teach it dragon claw since it add bit of boost due to tough claws again just so much or bit little coverage.

Gengar: I think your good here, but did you know gengar could learn Dazzling Gleam it good with it's special attack stats

Greninja: You can't sub from Pixilated Hyper Voice and you may need bit of coverage against Grass & Fighting also Hydro is raw power, but misses a lot.

A 2x supereffective Iron Head barely outdamages a neutral STAB Earthquake. It's not that useful on Garchomp. Calcs to prove it:

252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Altaria: 151-178 (51.8 - 61.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Garchomp Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Altaria: 160-190 (54.9 - 65.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Dragon Rush is also a bad attack on Garchomp because of its poor accuracy. Outrage is the superior strong Dragon STAB, since it's also 100% accurate.

Anyway, what format is this team for? Battle Spot? Standard Smogon OU? If it's the latter, you can't use Greninja and Aegislash because they're Uber Pokemon. In Battle Spot, you're free to use either of them. Also include the EVs of each Pokemon as they're very important in competitive battling. You may have to do some re-breeding on your Pokemon, as their natures are bad.

Battle Spot:

Snorlax isn't a good Pokemon to use there and in Smogon OU. It's way too slow to utilize Belly Drum effectively. You can get away with using 2 Mega Evolutions in Battle Spot, so replace Snorlax with either Mega Kangaskhan or Mega Lopunny, as they're both stronger and faster than Snorlax:

Kangaskhan:
    -Return/Double-Edge
    -Power-Up Punch
    -Sucker Punch
    -Earthquake/Rock Slide/Substitute/Secret Power
    Nature: Jolly/Adamant
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 SDef/252 Spe
    Item: Kangaskhanite
    Ability: Scrappy

or
    -Return/Double-Edge
    -Earthquake
    -Sucker Punch/Fake Out
    -Rock Slide/Ice Punch/Fake Out/Facade
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 SDef/252 Spe
    Item: Kangaskhanite
    Ability: Scrappy

Lopunny:
    -Fake Out
    -Return
    -High Jump Kick
    -Ice Punch/Baton Pass/Substitute
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
    Item: Lopunnite
    Ability: Limber

A Sassy nature wastes away Charizard X's decent Speed. It relies on said Speed to accomplish its sweeping job. As Undyne already mentioned, Charizard X is better with physical moves, due to Tough Claws. Fire/Dragon also has reasonably good offensive coverage; why aren't you taking advantage of this? Solar Beam requires a charge-up turn outside of sunlight and it's not that useful on Charizard X, since it's neutral to Water moves and can also use Earthquake to hit Rock Pokemon. Steel Wing is useless outside of hitting Mega Diancie, which is already chunked by Earthquake or Tough Claws Flare Blitz anyway:
    -Dragon Dance
    -Flare Blitz
    -Dragon Claw
    -Roost/Earthquake
    Item: Charizardite X
    Ability: Blaze

or
    -Flare Blitz
    -Dragon Claw/Earthquake
    -Will-o-Wisp
    -Roost
    Nature: Impish
    EVs: 248 HP/100 Def/160 Spe

or
    -Swords Dance
    -Flare Blitz
    -Outrage/Dragon Claw
    -Tailwind/Roost
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 40 HP/252 Atk/216 Spe

Charizard Y is still an option when you really want to use special moves on Charizard. Note that Charizard Y has Drought to make Solar Beam a 1-turn attack:
    -Fire Blast/Flamethrower
    -Solar Beam
    -Focus Blast
    -Roost
    Nature: Timid/Modest
    EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
    Item: Charizardite Y

Yes, Garchomp can go the bulky route, but it really appreciates the raw power of Earthquake. Sand Tomb is a very weak attack and its trapping ability isn't a reason to be using it, as Levitate and Flying Pokemon are immune to it:
    -Outrage
    -Earthquake
    -Stealth Rock/Swords Dance
    -Rock Tomb/Dragon Claw/Fire Blast
    Nature: Jolly/Naive
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
    Item: Focus Sash/Lum Berry/Rocky Helmet
    Ability: Rough Skin

or
    -Outrage
    -Earthquake
    -Dragon Claw/Dual Chop
    -Rock Slide/Stone Edge/Fire Fang/Fire Blast
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 SPe
    Item: Choice Band/Choice Scarf

or
    -Swords Dance
    -Outrage
    -Earthquake
    -Dragon Claw/Dual Chop/Stone Edge/Draco Meteor/Fire Blast
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb

Brick Break is a useless move on Gengar, as it works off of its inferior Attack stat. Focus Blast is the better option, despite its accuracy. Remember that Ghost hits Steel neutrally this generation, so Gengar can get away without a Fighting move in some cases. Anyway, here are better sets for it here:
    -Shadow Ball
    -Sludge Bomb
    -Focus Blast
    -Destiny Bond/Icy Wind
    Nature: Timid
    Item: Life Orb/Focus Sash

or
    -Substitute
    -Disable
    -Shadow Ball
    -Focus Blast
    Item: Black Sludge

As with Charizard, Greninja relies on its Speed to be effective and Gentle doesn't help that stat, or any other stat required on an offensive Pokemon in general. Greninja has a wide move pool and you're not taking advantage of that in conjunction with its Protean ability. It's also too frail to rely on supporting/disrupting moves like Haze and Substitute. The only use for Water Shuriken is to revenge kill Talonflame and (Mega) Blaziken. Other than that, it's not very useful, as Greninja is already very fast:
    -Ice Beam
    -Dark Pulse
    -Gunk Shot
    -Hydro Pump/Water Shuriken/Low Kick/Grass Knot
    Nature: Naive
    EVs: 20 Atk/236 SAtk/252 Spe
    Ability: Protean

Aegislash can effectively make use of Stance Change to tank hits in Shield Forme, then attack in Blade Forme. It can revert to Shield Forme with King's Shield to protect itself from offensive attacks:
    -Shadow Ball
    -Flash Cannon/Sacred Sword
    -Shadow Sneak
    -King's Shield
    Nature: Quiet
    EVs: 252 HP/252 SAtk/4 SDef
    Item: Leftovers/Weakness Policy

or
    -Substitute
    -Toxic
    -King's Shield
    -Shadow Ball/Flash Cannon
    Nature: Modest/Timid
    EVs: 252 HP/252 SAtk/4 Spe or 252 HP/4 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Leftovers

or
    -Iron Head/Shadow Claw
    -Shadow Sneak
    -Sacred Sword
    -King's Shield/Swords Dance
    Nature: Adamant/Brave
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 SDef
    Item: Life Orb/Leftovers/Weakness Policy

Smogon OU:

As Mega Kangaskhan is an Uber and your Mega slot is taken up by Charizard, I'd suggest a Rapid Spin or Defog user here, as Charizard is weak to Stealth Rock. An example is Starmie:
    -Hydro Pump
    -Psychic/Psyshock/Thunderbolt
    -Ice Beam/Hidden Power (Fire)
    -Rapid Spin
    Ability: Natural Cure/Analytic

or
    -Scald
    -Reflect Type/Psyshock
    -Rapid Spin
    -Recover
    EVs: 252 HP/4 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Leftovers
    Ability: Natural Cure

Refer to the Battle Spot section for viable Charizard sets.

Garchomp can act as the Stealth Rock setter of the team. Stealth Rock is a very important entry hazard in competitive play, as it helps achieve KOs you normally wouldn't get without it and it does damage based on the switch-in's type. Don't use Sand Tomb on the defensive set, as even though this Garchomp defensive, it focuses more on chipping away on physical attackers with Rough Skin + Rocky Helmet:
    -Stealth Rock
    -Outrage/Dragon Claw
    -Earthquake
    -Fire Blast/Swords Dance
    Nature: Naive/Jolly
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Lum Berry/Focus Sash

or
    -Stealth Rock
    -Dragon Tail
    -Earthquake/Toxic
    -Fire Blast/Toxic
    Nature: Impish
    EVs: 240 HP/176 Def/92 Spe
    Item: Rocky Helmet
    Ability: Rough Skin

Like before, Brick Break isn't a useful attack on Gengar. It can run different sets in standard OU, even a utility set:
    -Shadow Ball
    -Sludge Bomb/Sludge Wave
    -Focus Blast
    -Destiny Bond/Taunt/Icy Wind/Substitute
    Item: Life Orb/Focus Sash/Black Sludge

or
    -Hex
    -Taunt
    -Will-o-Wisp
    -Sludge Bomb/Sludge Wave/Substitute
    EVs: 8 HP/248 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Black Sludge

Greninja and Aegislash are banned to Ubers as previously mentioned. Replacements to both are Weavile or Azumarill for Greninja and Bisharp or Skarmory for Aegislash:

Weavile:
    -Knock Off
    -Icicle Crash
    -Ice Shard
    -Low Kick/Poison Jab/Pursuit
    Nature: Jolly
    Ability: Pressure

Azumarill:
    -Waterfall
    -Play Rough
    -Aqua Jet
    -Knock Off/Superpower
    EVs: 164 HP/252 Atk/92 Spe (Choice Band) or 240 HP/252 Atk/16 SDef (Assault Vest)
    Item: Choice Band/Assault Vest
    Ability: Huge Power

or
    -Belly Drum
    -Aqua Jet
    -Play Rough
    -Knock Off
    EVs: 92 HP/252 Atk/164 Spe
    Item: Sitrus Berry
    Ability: Huge Power

Bisharp:
    -Sucker Punch
    -Iron Head
    -Knock Off
    -Pursuit/Swords Dance
    Nature: Adamant/Jolly
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe or 204 Atk/52 SDef/252 Spe
    Item: Black Glasses/Dread Plate/Life Orb/Lum Berry
    Ability: Defiant

or
    -Sucker Punch
    -Iron Head
    -Knock Off
    -Pursuit
    EVs: 192 HP/220 Atk/96 Spe
    Item: Assault Vest
    Ability: Defiant

Skarmory:
    -Spikes
    -Brave Bird/Iron Head
    -Whirlwind/Taunt
    -Roost
    Nature: Impish/Careful
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef (Impish) or 252 HP/4 Def/252 SDef (Careful)
    Item: Rocky Helmet/Leftovers
    Ability: Sturdy

GlitchyShadowZ

Great Supremacy Of The Garchomp Legion
    Years
    Thanks a lot for the info :D, I'm new to Competitive Battling haha, i thought my team was pretty good. Then i got well, Wrecked by one pokemon :/. But What if i use Drifblim with Minimize, Will-O-Wisp, Omnious Wind and Baton Pass? It can lit the enemy on fire While Minimize and Omnious Wind raise stats, then i can use them on my Snorlax? Tbh i spent like kinda a lot of time on it, Because i really needed a Bulky Pokemon. But the Thing is, I just changed my Charizard to Y, Because otherwise Ice/Fairy types would easily obliterate me, Honedge and Gengar were also both Ghost types, While gengar has a bad defense, a Ghost or Dark Type could easily destroy it. What do i do? Im using my Drifloon (Drifblim) to replace Gengar (Gonna make that one Bulky), But is that a Good plan?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Omnious Wind is not guaranteed to raise your stats, and Minimize makes things a crapshoot for both players, so besides that not being fun generally, it's also not a terribly reliable tactic. Drifblim's massive HP stat is kind of offset by it's low defenses and somewhat poor defensive typing (Ghost/Flying is weak to Dark, Ghost, Electric, Ice, and Rock, all common attacking types).

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Thanks a lot for the info :D, I'm new to Competitive Battling haha, i thought my team was pretty good. Then i got well, Wrecked by one pokemon :/. But What if i use Drifblim with Minimize, Will-O-Wisp, Omnious Wind and Baton Pass? It can lit the enemy on fire While Minimize and Omnious Wind raise stats, then i can use them on my Snorlax? Tbh i spent like kinda a lot of time on it, Because i really needed a Bulky Pokemon. But the Thing is, I just changed my Charizard to Y, Because otherwise Ice/Fairy types would easily obliterate me, Honedge and Gengar were also both Ghost types, While gengar has a bad defense, a Ghost or Dark Type could easily destroy it. What do i do? Im using my Drifloon (Drifblim) to replace Gengar (Gonna make that one Bulky), But is that a Good plan?

To add to what Nah said, I'll reiterate that despite its frailty, Gengar can act as a fast utility Pokemon, as it has a good defensive typing and Levitate to completely negate one of its weaknesses. Refer to the Hex set I posted.

If you really want a bulky Pokemon, there's Skarmory for you, as I already posted earlier. Bulky Garchomp is also a thing; refer to the Rocky Helmet set as well.

Back