• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Great Moments In Film

Rest

Showstealer Pro: Trial Version
    Years
    What moments in film do you deem excellent? Was it an epic event of great scale? Was it a moment that touched you to your core? Has it, in any way, defined what you are now?

For me, it was the museum scene from Ferris Bueller's Day Off. It was a montage of some of the museum's pieces, but the way it was filmed was fantastic. When the gang holds hands with a group of children, and when Ferris and Sloane kiss, reminded me that I have this one life to be happy, and that I have to live it to the fullest.

Recently, I watched Lars and the Real Girl. There was this one moment when Lars dances to himself at a party slowly, amongst other people, as he closes his eyes and dreams of what it could be that someone else danced with him, as he has a fear of being touched. It was sad, really. I don't think I'll forget this one.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
    I hope you don't mind, but I'll probably be using this thread continuously as I think of more XD

The first one that immediately sprang to mind was the final conversation between Andy (Anne Hathaway) and Miranda (Meryl Streep) in The Devil Wears Prada. I tried to find a clip of it on YouTube, but alas no luck. Basically, it's a really poignant moment that sums up I guess the entire theme of the the film. I love the moment so much because I guess I can relate to what Miranda is saying, and the final line gives me chills each time. In lieu of the actual clip which would have been amazing, I've at least found the quote for you all. Somewhat less impact, but it's better than nothing lol

Miranda Priestly: You thought I didn't know. I've known what was happening for quite some time. It just took me a little while to find a suitable alternative for Jacqueline. And that James Holt job was just so absurdly overpaid that of course she jumped at it. So I just had to tell Irv that Jacqueline was unavailable. Truth is, there's no one that can do what I do. Including her. Any of the other choices would have found that job impossible and the magazine would have suffered. Especially because of the list. The list of designers, photographers, editors, writers, models, all of whom were found by me, nurtured by me and have promised me they will follow me whenever and if ever I choose to leave Runway. So he reconsidered. But I was very very impressed by how intently you tried to warn me. I never thought I would say this, Andrea, but I really, I see a great deal of myself in you. You can see beyond what people want, and what they need and you can choose for yourself.

Andy Sachs: I don't think I'm like that. I couldn't do what you did to Nigel, Miranda. I couldn't do something like that.

Miranda Priestly: You already did. To Emily.

Andy Sachs: That's not what I... no, that was different. I didn't have a choice.

Miranda Priestly: No, no, you chose. You chose to get ahead. You want this life, those choices are necessary.

Andy Sachs: But what if this isn't what I want? I mean, what if I don't wanna live the way you live?

Miranda Priestly: Oh, don't be ridiculous. Andrea. Everybody wants this. Everybody wants to be us.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    The beginning of the original Star Wars. The first time you see that and if you were lucky enough to see it on a big screen - it's great. The crawl eventually fades into the distance and a huge Star Destroyer comes into view and just completely absorbs the screen. The first time you experience that is just whoa-inducing.

The beginning of Up. If you somehow do not at least get teary-eyed at that, you are not human. It moved so many people.

When I think of more I'll post them here.

Ayselipera

I'll probably come back when I think of more, BUT FOR NOW...

I feel like this is such a girly stupid answer, but there is this one scene in Marie Antoinette where it's summer time and it's been about a year or two since she had her first child and they're just playing in the garden. It's pretty much a montage scene, but it just gives me the same exact feeling I get during the summer when I'm just laying out in the yard.

Then all the scenes in The Lord of the Rings where the camera will shoot back and the music plays up and it will show the scenery all around them I just get this, "oh my god" feeling that I can't really explain... lol. I especially noticed last night while watching The Two Towers that towards the end when (I'm pretty sure) Sam gives a little speech about bad times was really touching, but I was also in a weird mood so that might of been why!

Only other scene I can think of right now is in Stand By Me when Gordie opens up to Chris and starts crying his eyes out or really any close scene between those two characters reminds me so much of my own experiences.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    Ooh so, so, many.

• The 'Mad as Hell' sequence from Network (or, pretty much, any scene from that film; LOVE IT!)
    • The woodchipper scene from Fargo (saying any more would spoil it and ruin the scene's impact, so just go and watch it if you haven't)
    • "I'll have what she's having" from When Harry Met Sally... (watched it again yesterday and it feels so much better watching it for the second time!)
    • The shower scene from Psycho (because... duh, but mainly for Bernard Herrmann)
    • Nearly anything Humphrey Bogart says in Casablanca (especially the end, with him and Claude Raines walking off into the distance)
    • "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the War Room!" from Dr Strangelove (fighting it out with the Coca-Cola vending machine sequence from the same film)
    • Ripley's final showdown with the Alien in Aliens (I would quote but then I'd get caught by the stupid censor)
    • The first 30 minutes of WALL-E (and the first 10 minutes of Up for that matter)
    • "Betty's" audition and 'Llorando' from Mulholland Drive (because they don't need explaining; they just are)
    There are, of course, undoubtedly more, but those are the ones that instantly come to mind.

Her

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Off the top of my head:
    • When Rhett Butler leaves Scarlett for the final time in Gone with the Wind
    • The first 20 minutes of 2001: A Space Odyessey
    • THAT SCENE IN WHITE CHICKS WHEN THEY'RE SINGING A THOUSAND MILES OH GOD YES
    • The chariot race in Ben-Hur (good movie, I should see that again)
    • The final battle between Prince Eric and Ursula in The Little Mermaid

I could go on forever, but thats just the stuff I thought of first.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    Ooh so, so, many.

• The 'Mad as Hell' sequence from Network (or, pretty much, any scene from that film; LOVE IT!)
    • The woodchipper scene from Fargo (saying any more would spoil it and ruin the scene's impact, so just go and watch it if you haven't)
    • "I'll have what she's having" from When Harry Met Sally... (watched it again yesterday and it feels so much better watching it for the second time!)
    • The shower scene from Psycho (because... duh, but mainly for Bernard Herrmann)
    • Nearly anything Humphrey Bogart says in Casablanca (especially the end, with him and Claude Raines walking off into the distance)
    • "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the War Room!" from Dr Strangelove (fighting it out with the Coca-Cola vending machine sequence from the same film)
    • Ripley's final showdown with the Alien in Aliens (I would quote but then I'd get caught by the stupid censor)
    • The first 30 minutes of WALL-E (and the first 10 minutes of Up for that matter)
    • "Betty's" audition and 'Llorando' from Mulholland Drive (because they don't need explaining; they just are)
    There are, of course, undoubtedly more, but those are the ones that instantly come to mind.
    All good calls. You recalled those fast!

I'm going say...

The thumping water glass in Jurassic Park
    The whole stealing the idol sequence of Raiders of the Lost Ark

The damn trippy riverboat scene in Willy Wonka

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
    Mr Cat Dog said:
    The shower scene from Psycho (because... duh, but mainly for Bernard Herrmann)
    Nearly anything Humphrey Bogart says in Casablanca (especially the end, with him and Claude Raines walking off into the distance)
    Were these actually good moments? Whenever somebody lists movies or moments from movies like these as 'among the greats', I am always somewhat skeptical. The reason for this is that I've seen both Casablanca (on the insistance of a friend who is obsessed with old Hollywood) and the shower scene from Psycho (which is played at every opportunity during "best of" programs) and I can see nothing special about either, yet everybody seems to fangasm over them as though they were the best things ever created. Were they truly great movies or is it simply the fact that they are old pioneer films? I always just feel like I'm missing the big deal. Were they actually amazing, or just amazing for their time?

HoopyFrood

Designated Robo-Hipster
    Years
    Lord of the Rings: Return of the King. Where Aragorn walks up to the Black Gate to listen to Sauron's voice, everyone looks at him as he turns her around and says "For Frodo" as he turns and runs towards the Orcs, followed by his whole posse. Que Heart string tugging fight music.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes: Head Honcho Ape Caesar grabs Malfoys Wand/Electro poker, stares him down and Screams "NO". Shuts erryone' the hell up.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    "i did not hit her its not true its ******** i did not her
    I DID NAWWT

oh hi mark!"

from The Room

The scene in Cuckoo's Nest where Cheswick demands his cigarettes.

The final scene of Chinatown.

The scene where The Godfather dies.

Schindler's List where Schindler starts crying.

The opening scene of Trainspotting.

Reservoir Dogs where Mr. Blonde dances to Stuck In The Middle With You as well as Mr. Pink saying he doesn't tip.

Collateral where Vincent asks for his briefcase back and kills the guys.

Titanic, Rose being a ***** and not letting Jack on the door.

Moulin Rouge, the Elephant Love Medley.

The Matrix scene where they storm the lobby and Propellerhead starts playing.

The Bourne Identity car chase scene with Ready Steady Go.

Road to Perdition where Jude Law arrives out of nowhere.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    Yippee ki yay, Mo---. Yeah, just about every one of those. It's just badass, so I had to say it.

Oh, there's Independence Day with Will Smith punching that alien and saying, "Welcome to Earth."

I also like the final scenes of Seven.

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
    No Luke! I am your father!

I think someone else mentioned this but the intro to UP was absolutely breath taking unfortunately the rest of the film was complete rubbish.

Also:
    • Rose getting off the lifeboat so she could stay with Jack
    • When Vader saves Luke
    • Ash being cured of petrification(probably)
    • Tarzan growing up in three minutes
    • Owlman revealing his plan to destroy reality
    • Batman stopping Owlman from destroying reality
    • Susie finding the bathtub full of her blood after and realising she's dead
    • The terminator cutting the skin off his arm
    • The raptors searching for the kids in the kitchen
    • When she kills Bill
    • Finding out the truth in Shutter Island

Back