• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

GTS: is it REALLY worth it?

Srsly?

• Yes.

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • No.

Votes: 11 47.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bluerang1

pin pin
Years
  • No! t was so frustrating yesterday, I thought it would be easy to trade a Chikorita for a Cyndaquil, like baby ones, like it was easy in Hoenn T___T Now my plan to get all Kanto + Johto Pokemon to transfer to Unova's 3rd game will be jeopardized.

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2011
    I do it mainly because people WILL give up decent Pokemon for a starter or so. I'm doing the Masuda Method and have been putting up Cyndaquils for the past few days and asking for some Pokemon that I don't have to fill up my Pokedex and it's been working. I got my Gengar that I wanted and a Natu that was impossibly ridiculous to find for some reason and I personally like it more than just hatching and releasing decent Pokemon.
    It also gives me more Pokemon from foreign languages to further use the Masuda Method so, generally I'm pretty happy.

Chatot Lover

happy
    Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2013
    Eh, I haven't been keeping up with Black and White, but is there a GTS system in the new games?

If yes, a good addition would have been to only make legendaries tradable for other legendaries. I really hate the fact that everyone on there wants legendaries, no matter what Pokémon you are looking for :/

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
    Years
  • Wait "Is it worth it"? I'm not sure what you mean by that.

It's worthwhile in the sense that it's a decent means to get a Pokémon that you've seen but don't know how to get or don't want to got through the annoying effort to catch. For that, it's acceptable.

Yeah, the system is horribly flawed, but it's something better than adding friend code after friend code.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Well I think that it's stupid that you can't trade for Pokemon you haven't got in the Pokedex. :<

This. That's preventing a friend of mine from completing his National Dex at the moment. I think that's pretty stupid that just because you haven't seen it, you can't get it from the GTS.

I myself have never used the GTS because I can't access Wi-Fi easily, but I don't think I'd want to when I've heard people just offer crap and want legendaries in return. And those trading legendaries probably hacked those anyway. And the names. THE NAMES. I've heard they're just the most God awful names ever, like random genitalia and obscenities. Horrid. Do not want.

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2011
    I overlook most of these flaws just because I got a Japanese Phione for trading a low level Chimchar. I think you have to know what you're searching for and settle for what you can get. I mean, I thought offering a Cyndaquil for just a Ponyta would get me somewhere but 2 days later and still no Ponyta but the Legendaries are kinda ridiculous. I'm not going to give you a Mew for a Horsea. Just not going to happen.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I actually used the GTS quite a lot to fill up my Pokédex, seeing as I have huge gaps in owned Pokémon. It actually works... when you are offering stuff instead of requesting stuff.

So, yes, the GTS is useful for Pokédex completion. Filled up a good percentage of my Pokédex, like, around 60 Pokémon, including evolutions done afterwards.

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
  • It bugs me because it opened my eyes to see how many people cheat in the games. Theres like 1 in a million chance that you will get (catch/find) a legit shiny ho-oh in a game, and I saw like 5 of those on the GTS (including other various legendaries)

RivalGator

I hate them all.
    Years
  • It annoys me so much that I don't even use it anymore.
    I just work with other people or trade from my sisters DS.

Roxichu

Blastoff at the Speed of Light
    Years
  • I never search for Pokémon on the GTS. I always put up a Pokémon of my own and ask for something I consider reasonable in return. Somehow, magic happens and someone manages to sort through all the demands for L100 Celebi to get to mine.

LyokoGirl5000

Lyoko Princess
    Years
  • I don't think GTS is worth it at all. Everyone wants a legendary or level 100 for a Bidoof or Caterpie. I sabotage the Pokemon they want by making it worthless before trading it to them unless it's a fair trade like a male Piplup for a male Chimchar.

You really expect me to trade the Milotic I worked so hard to get for a level 4 Caterpie? Okay. I'll give you a clone of my Milotic that has it's contest stats reduced to zero without any way of bringing them back up and only knows Splash. Have fun!

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2011
    I've been giving up Cyndaquils and I thought I was asking for ridiculous Pokemon like a Croagunk for a male Cyndaquil but someone still took me up on the offer. I've just been putting Cyndaquils up on the GTS and waiting a couple of days before checking and usually people take me up on my offer.
    I never ask for a legendary because I know that if I did, it would be fake and I can just fake my own legendary on my own.

Morgnarok

PokéCommunity Supporter - Platinum Tier
    Years
  • In my opion everytime i had used it i got the pokemon i wanted but it always had silly moves or nicknames and i hated getting them like that.I would prefer to use Pc trade section before i ever use gts again.

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
  • But cloning Jirachi's on Emerald (that I got from Pokemon Channel) and putting them up on the GTS for lv 100 [insert Pokemon here] that I need to complete my PokeDex is great! ^^ It's a shame Jirachi's were given out through Wi-Fi though, so it probably doesn't work as well anymore. :\ For example, I need a Cherrim, so I traded a Jrachi for a lv 100 Cherrim. ^^ It works straight away as well. ^^

Back