• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Guides for Coding Beginner

killer-curry

Oro.........?
Years
  • Oh yeah, I'm taking Programming Concept for next semester but I'm not sure how to start with, any good guide for simple tutorial to try out?

killer-curry

Oro.........?
    Years
  • Any idea what coding language/s you will be covering?..

Course Objective:
    1. Learn the concepts and steps of problem solving and algorithm construction.
    2. Acquire basic skills in writing programming code using structured programming language
    ANSI C.
    3. Solve some common problems in tutorials and practicals using the skills in the use of a
    programming language.

abarai

Howl, Zabimaru !
    Years
  • Honestly I think you would be fine picking it up as you go in class.
    But if you have some time and want to get a head start sites like w3schools have great easy to follow tutorials. I'd suggest working your way through them. Will probably help you alot if you have not done any programming language before. Also https://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial.html looks good too. Work through tutorials and don't forget google is your best friend.

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
    Years
  • Honestly I think you would be fine picking it up as you go in class.
    But if you have some time and want to get a head start sites like w3schools have great easy to follow tutorials. I'd suggest working your way through them. Will probably help you alot if you have not done any programming language before. Also https://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial.html looks good too. Work through tutorials and don't forget google is your best friend.

*Promotes w3schools to the mOON*
    Seriously, that site is so useful, I cannot recommend it enough!

And yeah, without knowing what language you will be starting off with, I can't offer much advice other than throw helpful resources your way and a few tips based on my own experience.

Good site to get started with Java
    The holy grail of all things PHP
    If you're willing to pay a lil' cash Lynda.com is a must-stop tutorial hub, especially if you're a beginner programmer
    Useful site for bite-sized bits of info on functions. Covers C#, Java, Phython, Ruby and more
    The ultimate 'I have a question' site

As for what I can offer? Hmm.
    • Please ensure you can think logically and are good at problem solving! If not, practice! Practice! Practiceee!
    • NEVER and I mean NEVER be afraid to ask for help if you're struggling to grasp a certain concept or can't get your head around a particular line of code
    • Depending on how code intensive your module is, it might be a good idea to make lots of 'dummy' files. That is, where you'd make files that could contain anything from code like this;
      Code:
      <?php echo "Hello World"?>
      to something like this;
      Code:
      $values = array("banana","apple","orange");
      $pizza = "pizza";
      $apple = "apple";

function InArray($values,$toFind)
      {
      	$i = 0;
      	echo "<br>Searching for $toFind...<br><br>";
      	foreach($values as $value)
      	{
      		$i++;

if($value == $toFind)
      		{

echo "$value found at index[$i]<br> ";
      		}
      		else
      		{
      			echo "Value not found...<br>";
      		}
      	}
      }

InArray($values,$pizza);

InArray($values,$apple);
      Having such examples in, say, a folder, would be very useful for revision purposes.

Most of all, though, I hope you enjoy studying this! Some of the theory can feel...overwhelming, at times, but it will get better eventually, as long as you keep practising.

Dter ic

Fire Emblem....[b]HEROES[/b]
    Years
  • I think it would be helpful to understand the low level hardware side of things for certain aspects like memory and the stack when dealing with certain aspects of C programming - pointers in particular.
    I suggest checking out 'Computer Systems Architecture: A Networking Approach' whcih has a chapter on subroutines which I think will be useful later.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 6, 2024
    Looking at the Course Objectives, seems to me like you need to understand core concepts of computer science first. I highly suggest Harvard (and Yale)'s CS50 course. It's on YouTube but there are also a more structured syllabus for it by doing a Google search (They all link to the same YouTube videos though). You'd also want to set up a C9 workspace over at https://c9.io too.

Back