• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Guitar Hero on tour

Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2017
    You think that the ideas of adding extra instruments weren't brought up at all while Harmonix was still making GH games? They just got to making adding them first in a game when they developed Rock Band, GH3 was probably already in the works making it too late to add them. So the soonest they could add any instruments had to be the fourth GH game. Like I said, it's rock music, all of the instruments that are used in rock music are already in Rock Band, so it's not like they can add more. I would rather have a game with intruments used in Rock music, even if another game already has them, than a game that adds instruments like a harmonica or something so they can say they have more than Rock Band, which is what it sounds like you're saying it comes down to.

Last edited:

wolfie1177

PC needs to get more brutal!!!
    Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2021
    Proptip! The Rock Band team? They created Guitar Hero. They're the original developers. Pretty hard to copy from yourself, huh?

That's ignorant. Harmonix helped develop the original Guitar Hero engine, but Red Octane developed the original guitar peripheral, which shows considering how awful the Rock Band guitars were. Both companies have an equal stake in the "birth" of Guitar Hero, and both of them put out quality games.

Just because GH3 chose to focus on challenging guitar play (Rock Band fails compared to GH3 as far as difficulty) and not an all-around music experience first doesn't mean that they don't have a right to try their hand at new peripherals. Honestly I think the new Guitar Hero instruments will blow the Rock Band instruments out of the water, because Neversoft got the better end of the deal with getting the makers of the instruments and not the makers of the software. Music game software is easy to make, quality instruments not so much.

Going back on topic and the reason I even looked at this thread, GH: On Tour is pretty cool, and it definitely is a good solution for an on-the-go GH fix. I wouldn't play it over the console version, but for a portable it's pretty good, minus the occasional double-strumming.

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2010
    That's ignorant. Harmonix helped develop the original Guitar Hero engine, but Red Octane developed the original guitar peripheral, which shows considering how awful the Rock Band guitars were. Both companies have an equal stake in the "birth" of Guitar Hero, and both of them put out quality games.
    Harmonix "Helped develop" guitar hero 1/2? Sorry, did you mean "Solely and singlehandedly created"? Yes, I thought you did; I must've just misheard you.

Just because GH3 chose to focus on challenging guitar play (Rock Band fails compared to GH3 as far as difficulty)
    Have you even LOOKED at the note-patterns in GH3? It wasn't 'challenging', it was "OMG LETS SEE HOW MANY NOTES WE CAN PUT IN HERE AT ONCE WHILE NOT AT ALL RELATING TO THE ORIGINAL SONG". See the difference? Yes yes, you don't have to thank me, I'm happy to have educated you! ^_^

because Neversoft got the better end of the deal with getting the makers of the instruments and not the makers of the software. Music game software is easy to make, quality instruments not so much.
    Wow, Music Game Software is easy to develop huh? Why does Frets on Fire suck so much compared to the commerical solutions, then? Why does the PC port of GH3 suck so much arse? Why aren't there more third party games that use the Guitar Periphirals; if they're the hard part? You're so silly XD I thought you were serious, for a second there!

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    Guitar Hero 3: Rock Band Edition.
    At least, from what I've read, that's what it's looking like. o.o;

If it plays the same, it is the same. How something looks in gaming really doesn't make a difference. Just because a DDR rip has a new game mode doesn't mean it isn't a DDR rip, after all.

You mean Guitar Hero 4. XD

YOOM-TAH

Piplup Fanatic
    Years
  • Competition is good. Innovation is good. Carbon Copying for profiteering? Not so good.

The posts in this topic have already proven that it's not a carbon copy and that it is a vast improvement in many ways. Stop being so freakin BIASED and NARROW-MINDED just because you think Rock Band is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Harmonix "Helped develop" guitar hero 1/2? Sorry, did you mean "Solely and singlehandedly created"? Yes, I thought you did; I must've just misheard you.

Have you even LOOKED at the note-patterns in GH3? It wasn't 'challenging', it was "OMG LETS SEE HOW MANY NOTES WE CAN PUT IN HERE AT ONCE WHILE NOT AT ALL RELATING TO THE ORIGINAL SONG". See the difference? Yes yes, you don't have to thank me, I'm happy to have educated you! ^_^

Wow, Music Game Software is easy to develop huh? Why does Frets on Fire suck so much compared to the commerical solutions, then? Why does the PC port of GH3 suck so much arse? Why aren't there more third party games that use the Guitar Periphirals; if they're the hard part? You're so silly XD I thought you were serious, for a second there!

Re: The first part about Harmonix. Check your facts. What wolfie said was correct. Stop trying to sound like you're smarter by just simply denying facts.

As for the second part there, I can only assume you've never played a musical instrument, or even heard any thing in GH3, or something. On Expert, every note that is in there is represented in the song. The only song where they added notes is Paint it Black because it's too easy. Just because you're an ignorant fanboy who can't even play any of the songs on Expert doesn't mean that they're just sticking as many notes as possible in there and not relating to the song. That's not even CLOSE to the truth.

Now, when GH4 outsells the crap out of Rock Band, and out of Rock Band 2, we'll come back to this discussion.

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2010
    The posts in this topic have already proven that it's not a carbon copy and that it is a vast improvement in many ways. Stop being so freakin BIASED and NARROW-MINDED just because you think Rock Band is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Re: The first part about Harmonix. Check your facts. What wolfie said was correct. Stop trying to sound like you're smarter by just simply denying facts.

As for the second part there, I can only assume you've never played a musical instrument, or even heard any thing in GH3, or something. On Expert, every note that is in there is represented in the song. The only song where they added notes is Paint it Black because it's too easy. Just because you're an ignorant fanboy who can't even play any of the songs on Expert doesn't mean that they're just sticking as many notes as possible in there and not relating to the song. That's not even CLOSE to the truth.

Now, when GH4 outsells the crap out of Rock Band, and out of Rock Band 2, we'll come back to this discussion.
    Fangirl.
    And actually, I can five-star TTFAF on Expert in GH3 and I actually Bass Guitar. How about that? Oh right, I also play on and off in a local band. Maybe you should check on your details before making accusations? :P

Guitar Hero: Rock Band edition will come out; with its instruments MORE expensive than Rock Band's, and the consumer will think "Wut. Why does this carbon-copy exist? What a rip-off". It wont outsell Rock Band; because Rock Band is just too unweildy to deliver world-wide in a timely manner for even the muscle of EA. Activation won't be able to do any better with GH:RB Edition. People who want all instruments already own Rock Band and will buy Rock Band 2. People who want just Guitar play will just buy the standalone software instead of the bundle and they won't make squat anyway~♥

YOOM-TAH

Piplup Fanatic
    Years
  • If you can do all that like you said and you honestly think the notes don't go to the song, you're an idiot. All there is to it.

And there is absolutely no evidence other than your ridiculous unwavering bias to support the second part. Statistical trends point to GH4 selling incredible numbers.

parallelzero

chelia.blendy
    Years
  • Oi, oi, let's not make this personal, shall we? No throwing insults around guys... er, guy and girl.

And YOOM-TAH, my two cents. Can you really claim she's bias without saying the same about yourself? You haven't really budged from your GH stance at all to give RB any leeway, so... oo; And statistics of the past can't really represent the future. We'll just have to see what happens, really. oo;

YOOM-TAH

Piplup Fanatic
    Years
  • Well statistics of the past is the only empirical thing you CAN go on.

I don't even like GH that much. I have GH3 and that's it, I never even played the original GH. I just have played GH3 and Rock Band and I happen to find GH3, at least in Guitar aspects (since that's all it has) way better. I can only assume that since Rock Band, which came AFTER GH3 and therefore had every opportunity to improve upon the Guitar aspect of GH, actually was worse in the guitar department, that GH4 will only have better drums and such as well. I like their instruments and their interface better. Whether or not it's a copy at this point doesn't matter, because that doesn't affect whether or not the game is better or worse. Furthermore, I can look at the drums and the guitar compared to Rock Band, and look at the extra features it has, and I can make the conclusion (IMO of course) that GH4 looks WAY better. I couldn't care less whether or not they stole ideas or anything like that. It looks better, plain and simple.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • If you can do all that like you said and you honestly think the notes don't go to the song, you're an idiot.

Do not disrespect another member for their opinion ever.

As for this Guitar Hero addition, I personally don't think I'll buy into the drum set or microphone. I don't own Rock Band, nor do I really plan on it right now.

I've already got Guitar Hero and the guitar for it and I'd probably buy Guitar Hero: On Tour for that reason if I like the song list enough. Otherwise, I won't be planning on getting it.

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2010
    Well statistics of the past is the only empirical thing you CAN go on.
    Because the PS2 sold well so the PS3 sure is, huh? The past sets ALL the trends, amirite?!
    assume that since Rock Band, which came AFTER GH3
    They were in development at the same time; just because GH3 was cookie-cutter code and released first doesn't mean Rock Band should've 'learned from' them.
    was worse in the guitar department
    All up to opinion. I prefer the Rock Band guitar.
    the extra features it has
    Like the lower-neck buttons for hammer-ons! Oh..wait..didn't Rock Band do that?

YOOM-TAH

Piplup Fanatic
    Years
  • I meant extra GAME features, not guitar features. And the Rock Band guitar is reportedly (by MANY people) way less responsive.

As for your sarcasm, I really don't care for it. I find it very condescending. I apologize for calling you an idiot, though I don't appreciate you mocking everything I say. I never said past trends indicate the future 100% of the time. I said that it's the only statistical evidence one can look at to make an argument concerning FUTURE releases.

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    Bleh, neither game is as good as the fanboys say >>

Both franchises are just gonna rip off each other anyways, so they'll probably just end up the same anyways.

Ok, getting onto the Guitar Hero: On Tour thing, the whole point of this thread in the first place. Here's the main thing i have against Guitar Hero. It seems too apparent that they're trying to get money, especially when you have that Guitar Hero Portable game. I dunno, sure it's entertaining, but i really see Guitar Hero (and other such intrumental beatsims, Rock Band specifically) to be something to play at a party or get together, or just having something to do to pass time (when you don't want to play an FPS). And frankly, i'd rather not play something like Guitar Hero compared to the much better selection that's available to the DS.

SherlockHolmeboy

Happy 2009 ^_^
    Years
  • i'd really wish they would stop making those games, i just really dont get the hype about it

Once you play it for hours on end, you'll see what all the fuss is about.

I've only got Guitar Hero 3 for PS2, but I'm still addicted to it. I'm planning to buy On TOur some time later. ;)

Hmm.... if they make a Guitar Hero game for the girls (like, with all girly songs :P), maybe they can call it Guitar Heroine! :P

Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2017
    Bleh, neither game is as good as the fanboys say >>

Both franchises are just gonna rip off each other anyways, so they'll probably just end up the same anyways.

Ok, getting onto the Guitar Hero: On Tour thing, the whole point of this thread in the first place. Here's the main thing i have against Guitar Hero. It seems too apparent that they're trying to get money, especially when you have that Guitar Hero Portable game.
    I agree to an extent, but you gotta think; they wouldn't be making all of these games if people weren't buying them.

MediocreKen

Started with blue version
    Years
  • I think this is a bad game, iv played it and was reading reviews about it. ill just stick with the normal guitar hero

wolfie1177

PC needs to get more brutal!!!
    Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2021
    Because the PS2 sold well so the PS3 sure is, huh? The past sets ALL the trends, amirite?!

They were in development at the same time; just because GH3 was cookie-cutter code and released first doesn't mean Rock Band should've 'learned from' them.

All up to opinion. I prefer the Rock Band guitar.

Like the lower-neck buttons for hammer-ons! Oh..wait..didn't Rock Band do that?

-The only reason the PS3 failed so bad was because they made it so expensive and chose to release it so late. Apparently the same thing is happening with the "PS4" (or whatever they choose to call it eventually), as Microsoft and Nintendo have both said they expect their next-next-gen systems to drop in 2010 while Sony has said they are planning towards 2012.

-Um, wouldn't the "cookie-cutter" be Harmonix's? They did after all completely and single handedly code and write the software GH for the first 2 installments, right? (at least according to you).

-No comment, except my opinion is that the strum bar and buttons are much sturdier and easy to handle on a GH controller.

-You don't need lower neck buttons for hammer-ons. There's top buttons for that. To my understanding the new GH controller bottom frets are meant as a way to modify the notes like a whammy.

Back