• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

hard to explain

iusegengars

God Of Gengars
Years
  • I am trying to make a team but it is kind of weird what I want. You see I kind of just want a team based around supporting a mega garchomp i'm playing on pokemon showdown ou so pokemon isn't a problem. Any suggestions?

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    First off, what exactly do want the Mega Garchomp to do? You could either use it as a physical Swords Dance sweeper or a mixed wallbreaker. That's about all Mega Garchomp can do, as far as I know.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Remember that Mega Garchomp needs sandstorm support from Tyranitar or Hippowdon to be effective, as Sand Force is useless outside of sandstorm, and Mega Garchomp has lower Speed than its regular form:
    -Swords Dance
    -Outrage/Dragon Claw
    -Earthquake
    -Stone Edge/Fire Fang
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Lum Berry/Yache Berry/Garchompite

or
    -Draco Meteor
    -Earthquake
    -Stone Edge
    -Fire Blast
    Nature: Naughty
    EVs: 224 Atk/32 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Garchompite

iusegengars

God Of Gengars
    Years
  • my gengar has swords dance outrage earthquake and fire fang

Okay but then with Garchomp and Tyranitar what other pokemon should I be using?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2014
    my gengar has swords dance outrage earthquake and fire fang

Okay but then with Garchomp and Tyranitar what other pokemon should I be using?

Gliscor would probably be an effective member for this team, as he also benefits from the sand (I believe), a good set would be one of these two physical sub-wall sets:

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
    Poison Heal
    Impish
    244 HP, 40 Def, 224 Spe
    - Substitute
    - Toxic
    - Protect/Roost
    - Earthquake

This is the one Smogon recommends and I'm sure most other people would agree that this is the best set. However, I use the set below, just because I like to be SUPER Defensive/Bulky:

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
    Poison Heal
    Impish
    252 HP, 252 Def, 6 Spe
    - Substitute
    - Toxic
    - Protect
    - Earthquake

Honestly, I use this set on one of my teams, and it works quite well. It plays very similar, to the set above but just has better bulk defensively, being capable to take some hits. While the set above this one is probably better, this one certainly isn't a bad choice, IMO.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Ya know, I like this set for Gliscor:

-Gliscor w/Toxic Orb
    Nature: Impish
    Ability: Poison Heal
    EVs: 248 HP, 244 Defense, 12 Speed
    Moves: Earthquake, Knock Off, Roost, Toxic

Just givin' another option.

Anyway, the team needs something to deal with the Ice types that Garchomp (and Gliscor) hate so much. A Steel would be great, since it would also resist Dragon adn Fairy as well. Maybe Aegislash?

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    Gliscor can take advantage of sand, but I'm not sure what it does to support Garchomp and Tyranitar. Anyway, I'd recommend Terrakion or Landorus-I instead of Gliscor. Terrakion can smash Skarmory, which is one of Chomp's major checks. Terra is an overall great breaker too. Lando can utilize Smack Down to get through Skarm as well, so it's another option.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2014
    Gliscor can take advantage of sand, but I'm not sure what it does to support Garchomp and Tyranitar. Anyway, I'd recommend Terrakion or Landorus-I instead of Gliscor. Terrakion can smash Skarmory, which is one of Chomp's major checks. Terra is an overall great breaker too. Lando can utilize Smack Down to get through Skarm as well, so it's another option.

Landorus may be a good option, but I don't know about Terrakion. I understand that he is a really good Poke to Chomp's checks, but having 3 Physical Attackers isn't the best, IMO (I am assuming Chomp is going to be a Physical Attacker). Honestly, I think he should have a Physical Wall oppose to another Attacker, and IMO, Gliscor is a good option, as he benefits from the Sand. Even though, Terrakion isn't a bad choice, as he is pretty bulky on both ends. But then, he has to use a Poke that can get rid of Ground Types, as they will destroy him, as can be said about using the Gliscor & Chomp combo against Ice. Also, I do agree with others that Aegislash or another steel type would probably be a good option to deal with Ice Attacks, even though Aegislash is also yet another Physical Attacker but has great defenses.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    For specially based Steel types:

-Magnezone w/Choice Specs
    Nature: Modest
    Ability: Magnet Pull
    EVs: 172 HP, 252 Sp.Attack, 84 Speed
    Moves: Thunderbolt, Hidden Power Fire/Ice, Flash Cannon, Volt Switch

-Genesect w/Choice Scarf
    Nature: Hasty/Naive
    Ability: Download
    EVs: 252 sp.Attack, 252 Speed, 4 Attack
    Moves: U-Turn, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, Flamethrower/Bug Buzz

-Heatran w/Air Balloon or Leftovers
    Nature: Calm
    Ability: Flash Fire
    EVs: 248 HP, 8 Defense, 252 Sp.Defense
    Moves: Lava Plume, Roar, Protect, Toxic/Will-o-Wisp/Stealth Rock

All good choices. Heatran and Magnezone wreck Skarmory, have reasonable bulk, and pair fairly well with Gliscor/Lando.

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    Landorus may be a good option, but I don't know about Terrakion. I understand that he is a really good Poke to Chomp's checks, but having 3 Physical Attackers isn't the best, IMO (I am assuming Chomp is going to be a Physical Attacker). Honestly, I think he should have a Physical Wall oppose to another Attacker, and IMO, Gliscor is a good option, as he benefits from the Sand. Even though, Terrakion isn't a bad choice, as he is pretty bulky on both ends. But then, he has to use a Poke that can get rid of Ground Types, as they will destroy him, as can be said about using the Gliscor & Chomp combo against Ice. Also, I do agree with others that Aegislash or another steel type would probably be a good option to deal with Ice Attacks, even though Aegislash is also yet another Physical Attacker but has great defenses.
    I am under the assumption that this is not meant to be a stall team. While Gliscor may help with Fighting-types that threaten Tyranitar, the team needs offensive synergy first and foremost. Gliscor doesn't do anything in that regard. In fact, it makes matters worse by worsening the team's ability to deal with Skarmory, which is the only common defensive Pokemon that can take on Chomp. Additionally, I don't see what the problem is with having three physical attackers. Chomp obliterates any physical walls not named Skarm, and even Skarm can barely take a hit:

+2 252 Atk Sand Force Mega Garchomp Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Skarmory in Sand: 199-235 (59.5 - 70.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
    +2 252 Atk Mega Garchomp Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Skarmory: 153-181 (45.8 - 54.1%) -- 96.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Skarm's only method of dealing with Chomp is Whirlwind. If the Chomp user plays their cards right, they can keep enough offensive pressure on the opposing team to prevent Skarm from healing. All Terra or Lando has to do is clean up what Chomp left behind (or the other way around). Point being, Chomp and Terra or Lando would provide enough offensive power to get by most physical walls, regardless of whether they're physical or special attackers.

Anyway, as Zekrom pointed out, Magnezone would also be a suitable teammate due to its ability to trap Skarm. I'm not sure if it would be necessary to have if OP decides to use Terra or Lando, but it's definitely a worthy consideration nonetheless.

iusegengars

God Of Gengars
    Years
  • Okay this is my team so far Garchomp,Tyranitar, and magnezone but im still a little weak to ground types what should i do about that

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Okay this is my team so far Garchomp,Tyranitar, and magnezone but im still a little weak to ground types what should i do about that

The aforementioned Landorus (or maybe Gliscor) would be a good option for the team. Terrakion is nice, but its weak to Water and Ground, so let's not compound those weaknesses. Glad you picked Magnezone, since it can zap Water types for you. Water types are pretty common and often carry Ice Beam.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Right, Mamo does kinda wreck the team...

Mamoswine is a bit difficult to counter, but a couple of Pokemon that can at least check it are Scizor and Rotom-Wash:

-Scizor w/Leftovers
    Nature: Adamant
    Ability: Technician
    EVs: 252 HP, 40 Attack, 212 Sp.Defense
    Moves: Bullet Punch, Swords Dance, Roost, X-Scissor/U-Turn

-Rotom Wash w/Chesto Berry
    Nature: Bold
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP, 252 Defense, 4 Sp.Attack
    Moves: Hydro Pump, Will-o-Wisp, Rest, Thunderbolt/Volt Switch

If Mamoswine doesn't have Superpower, Rotom-W counters it. IDK how common super Power is on Mamoswines nowadays though...

Back