• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Harder than usual?

Are Pokemon Black and White harder than the other games?

• It IS Harder.

Votes: 98 51.6%
  • It is easier.

Votes: 35 18.4%
  • It's about the same.

Votes: 37 19.5%
  • I NEED MOAR.

Votes: 20 10.5%

• Total voters

Waffle-San

Blue-Steel
Years
  • It was kind of harder...well not really but I grind a ton and the Lucky Egg is love. <3 I had 4 level 50's before the 7th gym so yeah... I just beat the Elite 4 and I'm at about 42 hours of game play, and thats the way I like it!! No running from battles! And rewalking the game when I got surf. :)

chaos11011

[untitled]
    Years
    • Age 27
    • MA
    • Seen May 4, 2021
    On the Japanese version it was a extremely diffucult. I'm not sure if it was the trainers or because I only know some Japanese but I had some really big losses when I shouldn't. Keep in mind though, I was Nuzlocking the game, so I frequently had to grind when I lost key members and my phobia of losing my team members pushed me to the edge.

But I guess I will only find out when I play the English game.

Theab95

Legend hunter
    Years
  • Most of the gym leaders of these games are ridiculously easy like Skyla and Brycen
    I beat skyla less than 2 minutes also brycen , the hardest battle was with Ghetsis.
    I hope they change the teams and levels in the third version.

Years
  • I found it so much easier than I found platinum, and about the same as soul silver. However, I think that they're probably all the same difficulty, I just found Platinum to be extremely unengaging, even more so than Diamond, oddly. I like how easy it is to train higher level pokemon post-game. The lucky egg was useful earlier on too :D.

John_Locke1

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Mar 14, 2011
    I found it so much easier than I found platinum, and about the same as soul silver. However, I think that they're probably all the same difficulty, I just found Platinum to be extremely unengaging, even more so than Diamond, oddly. I like how easy it is to train higher level pokemon post-game. The lucky egg was useful earlier on too :D.

I wonder were you put that lucky egg, eh?

Phwoooaaarrrr!!!!

Years
  • You kidding, this is the easiest Pokemon game I've ever played. Platinum was pretty damn hard compared to this, even with Evolutions coming along slower.

Only hard battles I recall are between Lenora and Ghetsis.

Destiny.

The Absol Master
    Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2019
    I have to agree, most battles seem won MUCH easier. I started with Snivy. Particularly with Lucky egg.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    Not really. I'm finding that all of the trainer battles are much easier. Though maybe that's because I'm a tad over-leveled for where I'm supposed to be.

Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2011
    Harder but in a good way. I like how you keep battling your friends after you beat the gym leaders. So far I've only lost to a gym leader once. (saved the game right before of course so I didn't have to pay out ;) ) But I'm loving it A LOT! I think it's the best one yet.

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    White has been pretty typical. For some reason I had more trouble in HeartGold.

Plus that lucky egg is a huge help. :J

Years
    • Seen Mar 22, 2011
    Yes, it does seem a bit harder.

However, for me, it's because I love the plot so I really really want to keep moving forward, instead of doing sidequests that I know will level me up. I beat the game, because the suspense and such was killing me in the storyline, and then restarted so I could really play through the game itself. Let me tell you, having two level 30's before the third gym is worth it.

Years
  • Seems harder to me, but not by much. The second time I played through Sapphire I had a hard time with the Elite Four.

It was kinda hard to train for White when a lot of people wouldn't battle me. =P

kirbyking1234

The Destroyer
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Apr 7, 2012
    I actually did find these new games a fair bit harder. Normally I can just blow through the games with absolutely no problems. This time I found myself getting thrashed in the beggining and using way more Potions and the like than I'd ever used before. The AI in this game actually swaps and uses super-effective moves and items all the time. The old games just let themselves die. If you're not prepared you get pwnd frequently. Also even though you can argue it usually in the games the Fire type is easy difficulty Grass is medium and Water is hard. Doing the first half of the gyms was a pain, especially those **** Emolgas. I chose the Water type and even though I was horridly overleveled for most of the game I found it much harder than previous games. Elesa took me down numerous times since I do solo runs. I do catch everything and fill my dex in the beggining but I just chuck them in the boxes.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    For me it was harder in the beginning, and it got easier (little by little) as the game went on. Then I hit the Elite Four and BAM it's hard again. :( In general though, I do have to say that this game would have to be harder than the others. In the past games I could be five levels underleveled and still do fine, but here I can be on par with some of the trainers and wild Pokemon and I'm having a tough time. Made me feel like a pathetic trainer sometimes I still feel like that with stupid Ghetsis, gah.

Nameless.

Yessssss. These games are much harder than any other Pokemon game I've ever played.
    It could be cause I like to keep Pokemon unevolved, especially my starter, but it's a mega pain ; even with a Reuniclus! I find myself running back and forth between a Nurse or a Pokemon Center and back to where I was originally. I especially hate grinding in this game. Not because it's difficult, but because it feels like critical hits are way more common in B&W than before. When I'm training one Pokemon specifically, I find it fainting almost constantly from critical hits against trainers or wild Pokemon. Ohmygawd it's made me wanna smack the laptop so many times. >__<; Or that a super effective move hits way harder than it normally would. For instance, my Solosis was a pain to train this time around in English White. The IVs for Special Defense and Defense were around 25-31 for it and it still managed to get totally wrecked by super effective moves. You'd think it would survive the move at least twice with IVs like that. The last Solosis I trained seemed to go by much easier than this time around.

Then again, I'm having a training problem with almost everything this time. Even the evolutions seem to struggle either taking out the enemy or surviving a hit ; and the near-constant criticals don't help at all. The Gym Leaders are pretty rough too if you aren't over-leveled, seriously. If you are one level off or on level par, you will get totally rampaged. You pretty much HAVE to be over-leveled in this game, or have 31 IVs in both defenses to stand a chance against anything. I think 20-31 IVs are either really common this time around, or base stats are way higher than past gens.

These games are freakin' difficult ; especially up until the 5th gym. At least for me. =w=;

The Noob Hacker

Praise the sun.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2016
    I agree, it is harder. I find that most of the time I'm either underleveled or the same level as my opponents. So in a way, it is reminiscent of Gold for me, in which I normally was under similar conditions. But I like the challenge. I dislike that I constantly have to heal because certain members of my team can't take a hit worth crap. (My Blitzle) And because of the same reason it makes my Herdier and Sawk (Which I usually refer to as Dageki because I like the name better.) the most valuable members of my team, for they can take hits and return them. But other than that I like the challenge.

Mark9

Toto Trainer
    Years
  • No challenge here to be honest. None of the gym leaders or Elite four gave me any trouble. Even catching legendaries and pokemon with lower catch rates has been a breeze.

It actually makes the game far more enjoyable not having to constantly worry about catching things.

Daikenki

Water Trainer
    Years
  • I'd say it has the same kind of difficulty level of the first pokemon games. In my opinion.

The beginning was rough, I didn't know what to expect because I refused to spoil the game for me. That's why I took such a long hiatus from this site after the Japanese information was beginning to be leaked..

The first gym was fairly easy for me. Incinerate is a horrible move though, I am so glad I made pansear learn flame burst before I evolved it. But incinerate helped me a little. The second gym, however, just completely destroyed me. For the first time I actually had to catch a pokemon and level it up just to compete with her watchog of satanic destruction. I only use my favorites in battles. so yeah, this was unheard of for me.

After that it got increasingly easier, but still had a few surprises. All of which were taken care of before I got too pwned. Elesa's gyms scared me too, but if you get a sandile and teach it the dig tm, it can easily take down her gym. Also, teach it bite. Sandile can take down those emolgas. Screw you levitation, I can still win.

The only other battle to make me weep was Ghetsis. Only because I wasn't prepared. I actually CRIED tears of pure fear when I had to battle him. :C

Back