• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Hardest Gym Leader?

Zenith95s

El Psy Congroo
    Years
    I've not been too far through the game...but I battled Whitney 3-4 times but still no luck...
    Because of that cow...

MAizHxC

HG FC: 3395 8610 0902
    Years
    blue balls

he just annoyed the heck out of me...i beat him on the first time...took a while.

Years
    • Seen Nov 22, 2010
    Morty's Gengar took a good amount of my team out with Shadow Ball, and probably would have sweeped my team if it wasn't for my Flaafy thunder waving it and a Murkrow I got from the pokewalker being the only pokemon I had able to take two Shadow Balls.

Chuck wasn't hard (I found his hitmonchan underling to be harder), mainly because my own Gengar was able to crush him easily.

I'm on Jasmine now, and I simply have no way of taking out steelix. My strongest pokemon is level 25, while hers are 30 and 35, and I have no moves that are super effective against steel at the moment. Taking her magnemite down isn't too much of a problem, but the Steelix is tanking quite a bit. Guess its off to grind a bit.

ThePikachuDude

Yes, I do liek mudkips
    Years
    For me it was the 3rd gym. Attract can really hurt you. Took me like 5 tries twice. 3rd time was a breeze only because of a girl pokemon.

Johto Contender

In my heart, and in my soul...
    Years
    Lt. Surge, if only because the team I was using at the time was entirely weak to Electric-type moves. I only realised it when I arrived in Vermillion City. xD

Same. I had two waters, and three flying...and I didn't realize it until I came to Vermillion. I beat him in one fight, but dang, it wasn't easy!!

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Whitney. The combination of moves her Miltank has (Stomp, Attract, Rollout and Milk Drink) is absolutely lethal to face.

Ayselipera

Well when I started playing I really expected Whitney to be a pain because in the past it was almost impossible to get by her. This time around though she was a breeze. It seems that when I was younger my team was filled with fire and flying types that were easily susceptible to Miltank's rock type move Rollout. Now that I'm older I know your team should be full of various types.

The two gym leaders I usually have the most trouble against are Bugsy and Clair. Bugsy's Scyther is usually a lot faster then any of my Pokemon so getting past him can be a pain. As for Clair, her Kingdra is really annoying since its only weakness is Dragon type moves. Which either none of my Pokemon can learn a Dragon move or I just don't have a Dragon type on me.

Years
    I had trouble with Gary. I had neglected my training some and it took me a few times to beat him. >_> But the others were easy peasy, pretty much. For me, at least.

Zenith95s

El Psy Congroo
    Years
    I'm on Jasmine now, and I simply have no way of taking out steelix. My strongest pokemon is level 25, while hers are 30 and 35, and I have no moves that are super effective against steel at the moment. Taking her magnemite down isn't too much of a problem, but the Steelix is tanking quite a bit. Guess its off to grind a bit.
    Why not go to Mahogany? There you can train a lot with the gym leader Pryce!

Years
    • Seen Nov 22, 2010

Why not go to Mahogany? There you can train a lot with the gym leader Pryce!

Thats what I did. Did the whole Team rocket thing, and finished off Pryce, who was mad easy. I also got a good fire type for the steels my team needed (traded for a level 1 chimchar which I trained up, but was going to use a magmar I caught in the safari zone otherwise).

Clair gave me trouble with her kingdra. I couldn't get it paralyzed, and again I was underleveled. I basically had to use up revives to deplete dragon pulse and hydro pump, then finished it off with my dragonair (level 35). I dunno, but I did a heck of a lot better in my old Silver cart from back in the day.

Years
    Falkner. As someone else posted, that Pidgeotto and Roost kept doing my head in, even against my Geodude. Won eventually though.

As if to take the mick, Geodude learnt a Rock move when he next levelled up.

pokedude911

Glitch Hunter
    Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2010
    Must have been Morty, because he killed my Typhosion in one shot (I missed & he got a crit) And I only had 3 or 4 moves which actually effected his Pokémon.

Melinda

[b][i][color=#fff]#teamsonia[/color][/i][/b]
    Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2022
    I would have to say Whitney, because at the beginning of the game my Pokemon were weak. Her Miltank was merciless. After that everything was pretty much cake for me. :pink_wink:

Panfisha

BIGGLYPUFF?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2021
    Obviously Whitney and her miltank. I mean really, she equips it with a lum berry AND can use super potions? And then if you don't get attracted to it, you get out sped and she gets the constant stomp flinches.
    I was lucky enough to have heracross set up an x attack and x speed on clefairy, and just OHKO her miltank in my last battle.

Inferny

Lord of Pokabu
    Years
    Seeing as I usually trade my strong Pokemon from other games to the one I usually play, it use to be pretty easy for me. I didn't do that this time, though.

All the gym leaders were pretty easy, I thought. Only one to be hard was Misty's, since my starter was Feraligatr >:(

Years
    • Seen Feb 12, 2012
    I still say Whitney and her obnoxious Miltank. I should make steak out of her Miltank. Ha! I win Whitney! Take that!

Back