• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hardest rom hacking skill

pokefreak2

I can't believe you read this
Years
  • hey i was wondering which is the hardest rom hacking skill? IMO i think it is overworld spriting
    it is so hard well to me it is im not an artist im just intelligent so that fits well with scripting :)

[h3][/h3]

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2023
    How is overworld spriting the hardest skill? To me, graphics are the easiest thing to hack. The thing I'm worried about is scripting.

colcolstyles

Yours truly
    Years
  • Graphics are pretty easy to change but making them is an entirely different story for the artistically challenged.
    What's easiest and hardest varies from person to person. There is no skill that will be the hardest for every single hacker.

RedYoshi

Wah! Yoshi!
    Years
  • ASM is without a doubt the hardest "skill" for hacking. The rest pretty much depends on the person. I find mapping to be a challenge for me since I just can't get a good looking map. Also I find music hacking to be pretty easy, but others may not think so. So it really just depends on the person. Of course, everything becomes easy with a little practice.

Last edited:

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
    Years
  • Depends on the individual skill of each individual. :3 For me it is probably spriting or ASM, whereas for some people it may be scripting or mapping.

Therefore the answer to this question is that there is no specific skill that one may find the hardest.

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
    Years
  • Nah, to most people it IS ASM. Same to me. But I did laugh at 'overworld spriting' to be the hardest. I'm a spriter, and I do different kinds of sprites, but out of them all, the overworlds are just bread and butter o.o

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
    Years
  • Spriting is much harder than script or ASM for me, but not just overworlds. I couldn't draw half decent grass unless I spent an hour or two in photoshop.

EDIT: Also, I'm sure most of you would have trouble researching data, which is a pretty important part of hacking. Try looking through the RAM and ROM for a few hours. >_>

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen today
    Either ASM or Scripting, but only because I rushed into scripting a Legendary battle with no prior knowledge... Then I gave up. I will admit though, if you take time with it, it will get easier.

558122_DG

Learning how to make mistakes
    Years
    • Seen May 27, 2021
    For me ASM is easy.
    Graphics that are difficult (not in inserting, but in drawing)

great wanna help me in my hack?

PS. I think asm is hard, cause all te tus i find are hard to follow, scripting Is really easy. the most easiest would be mapping, cause a kid can do that...

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Aug 5, 2022
    ASM is the hardest but everything else is challenging in it's own way aswell. The main reason being that whilst yes I can do everything else but the sad fact is I may not be able to do it well.

BlitŻ1

guahh my dog is so cute
    Years
  • I really don't see how spriting and such relates to ROM hacking directly and is considered a ROM hacking "skill". Spriting is very widely based, as it is art, but parts of ROM hacking such as scripting, mapping, inserting, etc. only pertains to ROMs. I think saying that spriting is the hardest ROM hacking skill (which it is not xD) is like saying painting a car is the hardest part about driving :/

Larvitar170

Noobie hacker
    Years
  • I can't say ASM, since I've never tried, though I hear it is the hardest. And it sounds like it would be. For me, I would say scripting. I can never seem to get the scripts to work for me.

Larvitar170

Noobie hacker
    Years

• Lol im a kid and i cant map for crap :(
    I think it all just comes down to your abilities and what you like the most. Yes, a kid could map, but that doesn't mean a kid could map well. Whereas scripting may seem more advanced, but a kid may be able to come in and out-script everyone.

RainDogg54

Crown of Love
    Years
  • Scripting is a lot easier than I thought it would be when I first started. I had 0 coding experience and it only took a couple weeks of learning through trial and error to get it down. I'm still a beginner though. My scripts are usually short and simple :P

I've never tried ASM hacking mainly because I've always heard that it's really hard.

pokefreak2

I can't believe you read this
    Years
  • Scripting is a lot easier than I thought it would be when I first started. I had 0 coding experience and it only took a couple weeks of learning through trial and error to get it down. I'm still a beginner though. My scripts are usually short and simple :P

I've never tried ASM hacking mainly because I've always heard that it's really hard.
    yea asm is pretty hard the only reason i cant do it is because i cant find the offset in hex editor O_O i need it so i can get asm to work :(

Juan

Brazilian with a bad English
    Years
  • I really don't see how spriting and such relates to ROM hacking directly and is considered a ROM hacking "skill". Spriting is very widely based, as it is art, but parts of ROM hacking such as scripting, mapping, inserting, etc. only pertains to ROMs. I think saying that spriting is the hardest ROM hacking skill (which it is not xD) is like saying painting a car is the hardest part about driving :/

I do not agree.

It's like game development.
    A group is responsible for the graphics, the other by the sound, and another for the development itself.

Another example is the creation of websites.
    Uses PHP, ASP, HTML, and imagens (flash, fireworks, photoshop, etc.).

If you do not draw any tile, will not be able to insert it.
    If you managed to insert some, it was because someone designed it.

Why do you think many people ask for help to "Tilers" and "Spriters"?

Well, that's my opinion.

Back