• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Hardest Unova Gym Leader

Which Gym Leader gave the hardest challenge for you?

• Total voters

Darthrai

Dragon Tamer
Years
    • Seen May 22, 2016
    After reading about how hard Lenora was for most people, I was able to "cheat" her by a) trading for a Pignite over the GTS, and b) bringing out a Lv. 2 Patrat just as her Watchog was about to use Retaliate. If I were a Nuzlocker the battle would have really been hell.

Soul Eater

→ w e a p o n.
    Years
  • I was kinda overleveled (though, barely) through most of the Gym battles. I also normally had the first Pokemon in my party as the weakness to whatever type that the Gym Leader was using. So really.. it was fairly easy most of the time. Drayden's gym was a hassle at the time, that was technically the hardest Gym for me, while the hardest Gym Leader was Elesa, if memory serves. That Volt Switch..

PaxAmericana

Resident Peacekeeper
    Years
  • Man, this one has been abandoned.

I see there's more variety in who's the hardest gym leader in Unova than in Johto and the like.

MikeyOak

Gary Oak wannabe
    Years
  • Elesa was definitely the only challemge i had, beating her with 3 pokemon was not an easy task, I didn't struggle with zebstrika but those emolgas made life irritating

TheMarkCrafter

roses are red, violets are blue, i used to break r
    Years
  • Elesa is tooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo hard! Guess what? I trained my Sandile until it evolved into Krokorok! And Ground had no effect for flying!! If Geodude was at the Desert Resort, it would be easier to defeat her! She took me 1 hour to defeat!

I don't agree with Lenora's guys cuz i pwned her only with 1 Sawk without a little losing HP, even with Lenora's Watchog!

Drayden.... Sucks... so.. much.
    It took me a Vanillish and it fainted at the 1st try with a little stupid Haxorus!

A NOTE FOR BOTH ELESA OR DRAYDEN!

We don't want Rematches for you! Elite 4 are okay.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Elesa. Static. Sucks. Not so hard except wasting multiple turns using Paralyze Heal, which of course left me open to huge damage :/

Oddly enough, I just Dragon Clawed Iris' Pokemon to death with Archeops. And I had my Liepard use Fake Out as soon as Watchog appeared, rendering Retaliate useless.

SuperSaiyanII

Cool Story Bro!!
    Years
  • The first time I played the game I would've said Iris but after that first playthrough I learned to be prepared for that gym so it's no longer a problem. There is one leader who always gives me a challenge and that's Lenora. It probably wouldn't be so difficult if Herdier didn't have intimidate.

Years
    • Seen Nov 3, 2016
    For me Lenora was the hardest. Mainly because after that tough battle I decided to train up against Audinos in Pinwheel Forest. Eventually when I did continue, I flew through the gyms. (I don't even remember defeating Burgh, Skyla or Drayden)

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
  • Lenora: highest BST for that period of game makes it hard to match those stats unless you had Sawk/Throh who got equally good stats. Roggenrola can take retaliate but Crunch breaks you afterward. Those high BST really makes her Pokemon to be at a higher level than it is as most likely your Pokemon are unevolved at that point (or you are very high level then XD)

The later it gets, the more likely you have evolved Pokemon as well... future gym leaders don't scale in level much so game gets easier and easier after Elesa (her last Pokemon also got the high BST thing going on for her too.)

Volroc

The Unpredictability Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2015
    i think elasa is the hardest, those bloody volt switches are annoyin & i never have a ground type with me thats worth while -_-"

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
  • Elesa was kind of easy for me; the only annoying part was the Volt Switch she kept using with her Emolga's. But Drayden was a pain, his Haxorus kept killing me.

darr123

Expert trainer
    Years
  • They were all easy really, I've never had trouble with pokemon games.
    But if I was to pick, it would be Burgh

Years
  • Elesa was pretty easy for me. I have trouble with Clay every time I black through Black - I'm always a few levels below his Excadrill whenever I challenge him.

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
    Years
  • Elesa was defiantly a tough gym leader to defeat. Especially with that Zebstrika of hers.

Golden Warrior

Pokemon Professor
    Years
  • Clay was the hardest for me. Although, right then I had a lot of bad types to go up against him.

WHOA! I see a lot of people had trouble with Elesa, she wasn't that much trouble for me... (I lied... I hate Emolga...)

Back