• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Harry Potter Discussion Thread

Zet

Years
    midnight screening? not sure if that happened here in Australia, though I did enjoy the movie. Some parts I did find lacking, like who the hell was the Ron obsessed fangirl? I can't even remember her name since it wasn't mentioned in the movie, nor can I remember if it was mentioned in the book.... Well actually I think that was the only thing I found lacking.

But how dark the story gets is good, hopefully the 7th movie will only show the good parts of the story and not have 90 minutes of just talking and talking and talking and quiditch and a potions class and talking and talking and a house on fire (which was pretty neat to see)[/fail grammar etc]

wee187

Beat 358/2 Days on 10/5/09
    Years
    The 7th book will be split into two movies, as the director confirmed a while back.

I'm going to see it within the next few hours! x3 Oh and Zet, the Ron-obsessed fangirl is Lavender Brown, if they're sticking well to the book. Anyone know if Nigel comes back? =D For a movie-only character, he was cool, and not so much a fanatic like Colin Creevy.

dc_united

Josh Wicks doesn't like you
    Years
    It was pretty good, and they brought Quidditch back! Made the whole damn movie for me. Definitely better then Order of the Phoenix and the Goblet of Fire.

Greene1516

Scratching the surface...
    Years
    Some people can appreciate the fact that these movies are adaptations of the books and not perfect retellings of the story. For the time they had and the sheer volume of information that Rowling provides in this book.. they did a damn good job getting the main points, enough small details, and making it all flow cinematically (is that a word? XD You know what I mean though... right?)

But yeah, just got back from the midnight premier. It's now almost 4am and I have to wake up at 8 for work... :( Going to be SO DEAD.

Anyway! Biggest part that I missed from the book?
    Spoiler:

I can truthfully say that I am one of those people that appreciates that books being adapted to film need to be changed. But after seeing this movie I can't understand some of them. The destruction of the Burrow served no purpose other than to take out a key scene from the future 7th movie. It was a good movie, but the scripting was a bit poor, and as I said, some things they changed just served no purpose.

GodofPH

Submarket Zydrate Dealer
    Years
    I have to say I completely disliked this film. As a fan, it made me so displeased.

This was an event I had looked forward to with childlike glee. The sixth book in Rowling's series is my favorite, and I was let down when the release date was pushed back from November 2008 to July 2009, but I persevered. Technically yesterday, I decide to really take my fanboyishness to the next level: Not only would I attend the midnight showing, but I would dress up too. So my sister graciously draws the Dark Mark on my left arm, and uses makeup and colored hairspray to turn me into a Death Eater. I wore freaking eyeliner for Merlin's sake. I walked into the theater looking like a fresh Azkaban escapee, and after watching this movie…I feel like an idiot for it.

You see, the Harry Potter film series has been like being a child of a single mother who's constantly going from man to man. The first two movies under Chris Columbus were like living with the family man who just wants to please you with generous adherence to the plot and your favorite characters. But when this man gets hit by a bus, Mommy has to find you a new Daddy. She has a brief fling with a mysterious Latino man who seems to care more about strange camera angles and classy plot pacing than he ever will about you. Then the fourth guy really leaves no mark, and he's forgotten as soon as he came. Then Mommy meets a new guy, he seems to have a gift for making a fun movie AND capturing vital plot points, even if he isn't perfect at it. He makes life magical and fun again, but soon he stays too long, and shows an ugly side.

I liked Movie 6 so much at first. I thought the scene of the Death Eaters annihilating a muggle bridge was an excellent opener, showing how desperate and dark times had become. Then, we move to a scene of Harry flirting with a waitress, which I thought set up the romantic subplots of the book all too well. Then the plot gets moving. The movie hits all of the major points at first: recruiting Slughorn, trailing Malfoy in Diagon Alley, Harry's mishap on the train, etc. At the same time, the romantic foreshadowing seeds are sewn with Harry starting to suddenly notice Ginny once again. She has more lines in the first five minutes than she has had in the last three movies; you know she's important now!

Then I loved the movie. It was skimping on Harry's Lord Voldemort History lessons, but I didn't care because of the excellent way the love stories were being handled. Lavender is exactly the bubbly, dramatic teenage girl you'd imagine her as in the books, and makes a nice foil to the much more reserved Hermione, who is struggling to deal with her own feelings for 'Won-won'.

At this point I should clarify: I loved the 6th book's focus on teenage love drama. It was a reminder that in war, life still goes on. Things outside battle happen. There is a home front, and the world still turns there. I thought the book painted a great picture of teenage love, and its ups and downs.

The track got a little shaky when Harry and friends went to the Weasely's for Christmas…which had to be the most insane departure from the book in the entire movie. In the middle of some Christmas celebration, some Death Eaters come out of absolutely freaking nowhere, torch the house and corn field, chase Harry into the field, and set up a bonding moment for Harry and Ginny (Awww…). But at least Tonks makes an appearance, the movie even touches on herrelationship with Lupin, which I thought would totally have been shelved.

I was a bit discouraged by this, but the film went on, put itself back on track for a while. The relationships went back into the spotlight, Malfoy sniffled for the camera a little more, and Luna disappeared from the face of the movie…which saddened me.

Then the herbology fertilizer hit the fan when Harry used Sectumsempra on Malfoy. Instead of being sentenced to detention by Snape, he simply lets Potter walk free. Ginny then leads Harry to the Room of Requirement to dispose of the Half-Blood Prince's book…and snag a kiss. This is where the movie lost me. The whole magic (haha, lame pun) of their first kiss was ruined. I have to be an ultimate purist here, because I loved how it occurred in the book: in the heat of the moment, a celebratory moment turned into a romantic one by a split second impulse by Harry. Instead, we get a slow, steamy moment that did not satisfy me in the least.

This left a bad taste in my mouth, and stayed with me for the rest of the movie. The book's events were still followed from then on out; Harry and Dumbledore still fight zombies to get a cursed locket, Malfoy pusses out on his mission, Snape kills Dumbledore, and all of the Death Eaters escape. Very sad. I won't spoil the following scene, but I will say the substitute for Dumbledore's funeral is quite satisfying and moving.

I'll tell you what isn't satisfying though: My favorite literary couple being thrown under the bus. Ginny doesn't appear again for the rest of the movie after their first kiss, sans wordlessly comforting Harry after Dumbledore's death. All of that time the movie spent building up their relationship (more than in the book, actually, which was making me happy), just to completely forget about it in the end. That pissed me off beyond belief. Call me a fanboy, and I'll accept it here. Harry Potter and Ginny Weasely are my favorite book love couple, they're the kind of relationship I've always wanted to have, so deal with it.

And we the die-hard fans left the theater rather silently as the credits rolled. Not the usual chatter of any kind of movie. It was the silence of disappointment. The movie is receiving otherwise universal acclaim, a 95% on Rotten Tomatoes the last time I checked, but we the fans, we were disappointed.

wee187

Years
    I think it was okay, but I have to say my favorite is still the third. I was hoping for the Remus/Tonks, which was barely there. I loved the Harry/Ginny, but it was a bit overflushed, which caused a bit of overration. The cave scene was excellent, and so was the Burrow Attack scene.

On the whole, an excellent movie, but what I'm disappointed about is the silences. The soundtrack is great, but it doesn't fit the "talking" theme of 6. Most of the book is talking and teaching, preparing you for the 7th, an excellent build-up. The soundtrack in this movie would have been much better for the 5th movie, which had more action constantly, unlike this one, where huge amounts of action happen and then die out.

So Pros:
    Burrow Attack Scene, a nice addition
    Lupin and Tonks in the movie, yay
    Hermione/Ron/Lavender triangle
    Ron being on the team(about time, they totally shelved it in 5)
    Recurring Music from previous movies, notably 3 and 4.
    Wormtail's appearance
    Harry and Dumbledore talks
    The wand thing for Dumbledore at the end
    Snape's argument with Dumbledore

Cons:
    No Funeral? um?
    They made Fenrir Greyback look like James from Twilight so much...
    NO Morphin, NO Meropie, NO Marvolo
    Only one mention of Sirius, as if Harry completely forgot what the last year was all about
    Awkward Silences at times
    NO BILL AND FLEUR, DAMMIT! DX(though I knew about this, I dunno how the hell they'll do the wedding for HP Movie 7 Pt. 1)

And that's it! =) Narcissa was cool, Bella a bit too seductive for me, but it was okay. On the whole, 8/10. I love the fact it made a lot of unspoken references to the first two books as well, it just gave the Hogwartsy school feeling again, something the last two movies completely lacked.

In my opinion, it comes 2nd on my list. It can't top the 3rd, but it can come damn close. Kudos to Yates, now for the the next two movies for Book 7, please don't skip Kreature or Dobby, 'kay? =)

Ash~The Purifying Prince~

TLOTPP "Haunting Dreams" 77%
    Years
    Personally I thought the movie was excellent! sure a lot was cut out but in many parts of the movie I just couldn't stop laughing through the humorous parts. I also loved the Harry/Ginny moments, this kiss wasn't how it was supposed to be in the book but it was still awesome in my opinion. I liked the movie so much that I'm going to see it again two more times nexy week; I've read all the books many times over and although the movie wasn't exactly how the book was; we have to remember that it can't be expected that they take everything out of the book and place it all in a nearly three hour movie.

I heard a couple of people complain that it wasn't any good but I htink some people are just a little too picky. I was happy with how it turned out; even if a few things were cut out; but for those who were disappointed, we've all got the 7th one to look forward to which we all know is going to be split into two. So my guess is they're doing that so they can fit more in or perhaps everything.

I'm already set for the release of HPATDH part one on November 19th next year and part two will follow on July 15th 2011. Wow...it seems so long from now! but it'll go by quickly. xD

Vie

Years
    I saw the german premiere yesterday, and I started crying when harry kneeled down next to the dead dumbledore.
    The movie was great, and I think the do really well now. The fourth and fifth weren't that wonderful, but the last one is going to be.. THE THING. I can't wait to see it. :3

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2014
    here is my overview of the series so far:

Sorcerer's Stone: I thought it was a great movie and followed the book well. I was disappointed on a few points near the end. I wanted to see a brief view of the exams, maybe Harry playing the flute instead of the enchanted harp, and I wanted to see Snape's challenge. Those are minor points though, over all I was happy with the movie.

Chamber of Secrets: Again there is very little wrong in this one. I was disappointed when they didn't show Nearly Headless Nick's Deathday party. I was happy with the movie's turnout.

Prisoner of Azkaban: This was my favorite one so far. There was not really anything wrong with this except for Dumbledore... yeah I did not like him at all. Favorite lines from the movie:
    -Harry and Hermione run to the Hospital Wing-
    "Professor, we did it!"
    "Did what? Good night..."

Goblet of Fire: This one was not one of my favorites. I wanted to see more of the quidditch world cup (but God forbid we ut into Harry's screen time), on the Third Task I wanted to see more than just a maze, and over all the movie could have been done better.

Order of the Phoenix: Ah... my least favorite movie. I thought it was terrible. They completely cut out Ron's quidditch debute, actually they cut out quidditch all together. More could have been done at the DA meetings, and they could have included the burning coins... yeah i didnt like it at all...

Half-Blood Prince: Based on the previews I am hoping this will be the best one yet.

I was very disappointed in this movie. They pulled the burrow attack out of their ass. No dumbledore funeral or battle of hogwarts. Only one quidditch match, with no (seen) winner. I think it could have been split into two movies...

Kazukii

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 2, 2009
    I saw the film & thought it had some really great bits in but there were parts to the film that were empty & a little vague. Still good though.

dotKarma

FCs in Sig
    Years
    it was pretty good. Other than the fact that they BURNED THE WEASLEY HOUSE DOWN!!!

Why did they do it? They've just screwed themselves over for the next two films (since they are splitting the last book into two) with no Weasley house.

GodofPH

Submarket Zydrate Dealer
    Years
    Why did they do it? They've just screwed themselves over for the next two films (since they are splitting the last book into two) with no Weasley house.

I know the necessity of the Burrow attack. The book had very few action scenes as a whole, and that just doesn't work in these Hollywood spectacles. I didn't mind it, actually.

Ayselipera

I just saw the movie yesterday and I thought it was okay.

Entertaining for people who never read the books and a giant summary for the people who have read them.

wee187

Years
    it was pretty good. Other than the fact that they BURNED THE WEASLEY HOUSE DOWN!!!

This is Harry Potter, where the spell Aguamente and Reparo exist. They can fix a burning house damn easy.

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
    Meh, I didn't really like the movie at all. The first two hours was just your basic, hormone-filled teen movie and just when things started getting interesting: THE END. This was the only book I haven't read before watching the movie, so I can't really say that HBP was absolutely horrible, but I can say that it's definitely not my favorite.

Shem

Bored...
    Years
    Though, it's confirmed that Tonks, Lupin, Bill, Fleur, Dobby, Kreature, Trelawney, and the Dursleys have all been CUT from the movie itself. >=( The two-part movie of 7 better have EVERYTHING in it for a change when they finish making it.

That is exactly why I will never see another Harry Potter movie, I read the books and loved them, and the first movie was well done, sure they omitted a few minor parts, but now they just plain ruin the story!

Junes

showers of sunlight's divine
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2011
    They really didn't get as dark as the book, that was my main reaction. It was your classic movie that, in the end, it's main purpose was to connect; it excelled in that regard. I wish they could have extended some of the rather thrilling scenes, but the more laughable and light scenes made up a little bit for it. I enjoyed the movie, just wish it was a little bit more exciting than funny.

Denzer

Why so serious?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2013
    I saw it today and it was alright. The beginning was cool with the Death Eaters but they skipped out the best parts; Battle of Hogwarts and Dumbledore's Funeral. And they freaking burned the Weasly House down. Wanna bet that due to that, if they don't fix it or something, #7 P1 & 2 will be messed up because of the wedding, Ron and the ghoul and other things. But meh, it was still pretty cool. My heart seriously JUMPed when the hand came out of the water.

engage'

a new horizon
    Years
    I think everyone was disappointed. I really didn't like how they had Harry and Ginny kiss in the Room of Requirement, and burning down the Burrow is going to have an effect of movie seven. Otherwise, I enjoyed it.
    My sister crushed my hand at the movies when the Inferi grabbed Harry's arm. xD

I agree with Junes about Dumbledore's Funeral, that has to be included somewhere.
    I think the two part seventh movie is very stupid. But as long as it's a good movie, I'll be happy. XD

Back