• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Harry Potter Discussion Thread

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2014
    wow cant believe a HP thread hasnt been made yet. Anyone going to c the movie? I think it will be great, at least i hope it will be. No offense, but the GOF and OOTP were really bad compared to the books... discuss

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Yeah, I'm going to see it. I've seen the first five so it'd be a bit odd if I didn't watch the sixth. I'm really looking forward to it, too, seeing as the early reviews are extremely positive.

I agree with you that the fourth nivue wasn't as good as the book, but then again that was my favourite book of all so it'd be hard to top. I thought the fifth movie was pretty good though.

dotKarma

FCs in Sig
    Years
    I picked up my copy of Deathly Hallows at midnight the night it came out and put it down 16 hours later...I'm pretty sure I'm going to see the movie [/sarcasm]

It looks really good. Hopefully it lives up to the book. From what I've seen most of it will be awesome. Slughorn's not as fat as I pictured him, though, from what I saw of him....

Ash~The Purifying Prince~

TLOTPP "Haunting Dreams" 77%
    Years
    I'm defiantly going to see the 6th film I already pre-ordered my ticket for its very first session xD. I'm a HP freak; I've read all the books, seen all five movies and my room has a lot of HP stuff in it. So yep I'm defiantly looking forward to the 6th film; from what I've seen it looks awesome; I plan on dressing up for its opening session xD.

Greene1516

Scratching the surface...
    Years
    The fourth movie was great at the time see, but it lost its charm very quickly. David Yeats certainly picked things back up in '07 though, so I'm expecting big things this Wednesday.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    I used to love Harry Potter so much. I'd read the first 4 books like over 20 times before the 5th one came out XD The first two movies are kind of boring and I've only watched the 5th once so I can't remember how good it is. I'm definitely going to go and watch the 6th in the cinema when it comes out, though.

akirachii

Unbalanced Asian!
    Years
    Yup I sure am going to see it.
    I just cant believe, right after the 6th Year.
    There is only gonna be 2 movies left.
    Cause the splitting the last one into 2 parts!

Haz

Haz ya seen my hack?
    Years
    Yeah I love HP. Not as much as Pokemon but still....
    I liked the first, seond and fifth movies more then the third and forth. The later seemed morer darker and not as good as I imagined them in the books. My fave movie was the fifth and my favourite book was the third, forth and first.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I am SO hackin' excited to see this film. I've seen some of the previews for it that are slowly appearing on the internet and it makes me frozen with excitement. I know I'll be going, as usual, to the premier with my father (unfortunately) and I just... really can't wait. I expect this film is going to live up to the extra months they've added to it. Judging from what I've seen, I believe it, like previous movies, will be up to par and exceed expectations. However great they may be. <3

Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2011
    Ohh, I absolutely can't wait for the movie! <3333

Though I'm always afraid it will disappoint. I hate the new Dumbledore (he's much too agressive!) and I don't like Harry and Ron as well. And don't get me started on the Dursleys, oh my God. Petunia black hair, anyone?
    Tbh, the only characters I like in the movie are Snape, Lucius Malfoy, Umbridge and Luna. How can you not love Luna.

But even though the movies don't even come close to the books, I still always enjoy watching them (skipping the occassinal attempts at humour and violations of the original plot). Especially the special effects are good; it's much better than you can imagine in your own head.

So the books come more to life because of the movies, but they're in a complete different league. That's my opinon at least.

As for HBP: I heard it was going to be more shipping-moments than adventure... I don't know if I'm happy with that. But the trailer looks great, I must say. I'm impressed with the young Voldemort. Very, very well done.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Changing this to a Harry Potter discussion thread. The book is bound to be compared to the movie this time around, like it always is, and people are bound to bring it up, anyway. No sense having another thread serving that purpose.

Years
    I am not a fan of Harry Potter.
    I read all the books, because everyone went on about them. I wanted to see for myself =]

I can see the appeal, but they weren't for me.
    I do watch the films, if only to compare to the books.

But even though I don't like them "Books > Film" as always, IMO

LethalTexture

Breeder and Battler
    Years
    I hope the filmmakers have got it right this time and made an actual movie out of it, not dumbing it down so it is suitable for the kids and they understand it. Some of the lines in the previous films just make me cringe.

From previous installments, it will always be book over film for me, but as I say, I hope this one turns out to be an actual film, with emotionality, well worked script and symbolism, amongst others. Having studied films in depth, I know what to look for.

Ninetales1

Japan-flavoured Europhile
    Years
    Will I see the movie? I don't know, am I willing to watch one of my favourite characters die? [/sarcasm] (I did that in movie 5...)

Well, as for my opinions on the last five movies:
    Sorcerer's Stone: Did a very good job of following the book. When I first saw this movie, it cleared up a LOT of stuff I was confused about in the book.
    Chamber of Secrets: Also did a good job of following the book. My favourite character in this one was Lockhart, especially with the little bit after the credits. That really cracked me up.
    Prisoner of Azkaban: I was disappointed with the new Dumbledore, but other than that, I really liked it. I was surprised at how well the time-turner scheme played out, and didn't see any characters butchered (not even Lupin and Sirius).
    Goblet of Fire: My least favourite of the movies so far. I didn't particularly like the book to begin with, save the parts at the Quidditch Cup and the tasks perhaps. This movie did a poor job of following the book; it left many parts out, like Harry's conversations with Sirius (save one lousy one in the fire) and over half of what happened at the Quidditch cup. When I saw it recently the primary thing I kept thinking about was Edward from Twilight, whenever Cedric appeared.
    Order of the Phoenix: This was my favourite of the books, and also my favourite of the movies so far, even though my favourite character died in it. Because the book was long, I was afraid of the movie not following it well, but actually it did a very good job. It even omitted a boring part near the beginning of the book.

I'm very excited to see how the sixth movie will play out, especially the adventures Harry and Dumbledore embark on together near the end.

Years
    Looks like I'm the only one who actually hasn't read all the books.

I'm going to see it sometime next week with a few friends. Don't think it'll be that great, but whatever. Harry Potter isn't exactly my thing, but I'd still like to be able to say I've seen it. Hey, maybe this one'll have me hooked (although it'd be a little late).

Years
    • Seen Jul 10, 2010
    I will probably watch the movie sometime (just to say I've seen it), but the books itself leaves a lot to be desried. They are obviously targeted towards children with the happy, cheesy ending and the obvious morals of the story. But the creativity itself is average. For example, in the second book, Harry is fighting the Basilisk, he can't look into the snake's eyes and it looks like there is no chance to win. All of a sudden, Fawks comes with the sorting hat and he pulls a sword out of the sorting hat. Wdf? Why don't you just make it so Harry is immortal and invincible to everything...

Also in the last book, the Deathly Hollows came out of nowhere. It was a stupid story just to relate those 3 items.

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2014
    here is my overview of the series so far:

Sorcerer's Stone: I thought it was a great movie and followed the book well. I was disappointed on a few points near the end. I wanted to see a brief view of the exams, maybe Harry playing the flute instead of the enchanted harp, and I wanted to see Snape's challenge. Those are minor points though, over all I was happy with the movie.

Chamber of Secrets: Again there is very little wrong in this one. I was disappointed when they didn't show Nearly Headless Nick's Deathday party. I was happy with the movie's turnout.

Prisoner of Azkaban: This was my favorite one so far. There was not really anything wrong with this except for Dumbledore... yeah I did not like him at all. Favorite lines from the movie:
    -Harry and Hermione run to the Hospital Wing-
    "Professor, we did it!"
    "Did what? Good night..."

Goblet of Fire: This one was not one of my favorites. I wanted to see more of the quidditch world cup (but God forbid we ut into Harry's screen time), on the Third Task I wanted to see more than just a maze, and over all the movie could have been done better.

Order of the Phoenix: Ah... my least favorite movie. I thought it was terrible. They completely cut out Ron's quidditch debute, actually they cut out quidditch all together. More could have been done at the DA meetings, and they could have included the burning coins... yeah i didnt like it at all...

Half-Blood Prince: Based on the previews I am hoping this will be the best one yet.

Back