• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Has anybody gotten a Masuda Method Shiny yet?

Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2013
    Not sure if it was mentioned yet, but there is also an O-Power that stacks with Flame Body / other abilities for helping in egg hatch steps. :)

Years
  • Are you for real? If so, then I can make this a lot less painless for me..

I would hope i'm real or someone is having a really boring dream about a guy posting on a pokemon forum :/.

Anyway yes soft reset works fine. Choose which pokemon you want to breed e.g. a jpn ditto and your own region charmander, leave them with the daycare woman then leave the building. wait until the man outside is facing forwards which indicates he has an egg for you, save before talking to him. Once saved either take the first egg or refuse it, does not matter which as that egg will always be the same no matter how many times you reset, after that ride up and down route 7 until your party has 5 eggs (make sure you have a pokemon with warm body/magma armour in your party). Having the egg hatching o power helps speed up the process too.

Once your party is full fly to lumiose city and head to prism tower, equip your bike/roller skates then take a coin like a penny and gently lodge in to the right or left of your thumbstick, this will cause your character to move without you touching the ds. This method ensures your character continues to move around prism tower without stopping which will make the eggs hatch without you having to move the character yourself, just make sure you put the ds down nearby so you can go through the messages/animantion when each egg hatches. If after all 5 eggs hatch and no shiny then just soft reset and repeat the process until you have said shiny.

This is the method I followed and as I said I've had 4 shinys out of it so far.

Well I haven't heard of that rumor, but I assume if it were true, the idea of ID playing a role in the Masuda Method would've come up, but again, I haven't heard anything about it. If it's not too much trouble, you can go catch a Ditto in your game, but I'm like 99% sure there's no difference.

To clarify, soft resetting the same egg will not work, which is what I thought you meant. Yes, you can save before you collect the egg, and shut it off afterwards, but I don't see that saving more time.

I suppose it does not save time in regards to getting a shiny but in my opinion it saves time, as you don't need to go into the pokemon centre to dump off the non-shiny pokemon as well as not having to collect constant new batches of eggs or drop/pick up eggs from the pokemon centre. With soft reset you only need to collect 5 eggs after dumping the first egg after you've saved and you also don't end up with boxes full of unwanted pokemon, although they can be useful for wonder trade.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 15, 2013
    I would hope i'm real or someone is having a really boring dream about a guy posting on a pokemon forum :/.

Anyway yes soft reset works fine. Choose which pokemon you want to breed e.g. a jpn ditto and your own region charmander, leave them with the daycare woman then leave the building. wait until the man outside is facing forwards which indicates he has an egg for you, save before talking to him. Once saved either take the first egg or refuse it, does not matter which as that egg will always be the same no matter how many times you reset, after that ride up and down route 7 until your party has 5 eggs (make sure you have a pokemon with warm body/magma armour in your party). Having the egg hatching o power helps speed up the process too.

Once your party is full fly to lumiose city and head to prism tower, equip your bike/roller skates then take a coin like a penny and gently lodge in to the right or left of your thumbstick, this will cause your character to move without you touching the ds. This method ensures your character continues to move around prism tower without stopping which will make the eggs hatch without you having to move the character yourself, just make sure you put the ds down nearby so you can go through the messages/animantion when each egg hatches. If after all 5 eggs hatch and no shiny then just soft reset and repeat the process until you have said shiny.

This is the method I followed and as I said I've had 4 shinys out of it so far.

Ahh I see, thanks for going into detail. I'm sorry if I came off as rude, just been doing this **** non-stop and i'm losing my mind.

Years
    • Seen Nov 15, 2013
    I wish you luck, I may not necessarily get my shiny but it makes me happy if other people are getting theirs.

Years
    • Seen Nov 12, 2013
    Good lord. I'm well over 1000 hatched now with ZERO Honedge shinies. I'm losing my MIND.

It's soul crushing to hear that someone has found 4 shiny pokemon in 200 eggs while I haven't found the stupid one I'm chasing in over 1000.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Good lord. I'm well over 1000 hatched now with ZERO Honedge shinies. I'm losing my MIND.

It's soul crushing to hear that someone has found 4 shiny pokemon in 200 eggs while I haven't found the stupid one I'm chasing in over 1000.

Your time will come, trust me. I mean it's all down to luck so say if you go after another shiny after this one you could get it in under 100 eggs.

Caiustheblack

Breeder for the sake of it.
    Years
  • My poor brother hatched 18 boxes of LARVESTAS before getting a shiny one.... i ve been feeling sad for him at some point .... it took him overall 26 hours and more than 9 days of sleepless nights hahah
    And in terms of steps 500 volcarona eggs are like....1700 duskull eggs? XD

BunnyRice

Busy with breed requests! ♥
    Years
  • Well I haven't heard of that rumor, but I assume if it were true, the idea of ID playing a role in the Masuda Method would've come up, but again, I haven't heard anything about it. If it's not too much trouble, you can go catch a Ditto in your game, but I'm like 99% sure there's no difference.

To clarify, soft resetting the same egg will not work, which is what I thought you meant. Yes, you can save before you collect the egg, and shut it off afterwards, but I don't see that saving more time.

Well it isn't the fact of breeding a ditto, I doubt you can actually breed them. I was using Ditto as an example. But I guess if there's been no confirmation or anyone making a worry of it, then maybe it is just simply a rumor. Either way I'm breeding a lot of foreign paired Pokemon so I guess in the end I'll have to see the results for myself sooner or later.

Garlana

The boy who never grew up.
    Years
  • Literally took me to the 1500ish mark in b/w to get a shiny charmander, after a while it just started to feel like a job, when it appeared I was thrilled as nature was timid and had good ivs in all the right places...biggest pain is not being able to use on pokemon x yet.
    I said I'd never do it again after that and reading all the success stories ppl had from 10- 15eggs etc didn't help!

I may just try again now that it seems natures are a guarantee with everstone

Years
    • Seen Aug 7, 2016
    I'm on my 7'th box of Eevee; it feels like I have like a million Eevees, but it's actually more like 180. XD
    When I do get a shiny Eevee I will evolve it into a Vaporeon. : )

Years
  • 250 charmanders deep right now. No shiny. Got a shiny Relicanth but I mean Relicanth........cmon :/ If anybody wants a hasty nature charmander you can swap me anything, I need to get rid of these guys.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Ok, so I succumbed to using the Lumiose method. It doesn't necessarily save time, but I suppose if you don't want to be changing directions constantly it isn't too bad. Seeing as I had 480 hatched prior to this, and estimating I took the trip of 5 about 10 times, this would be about the 530th egg.

Has anybody gotten a Masuda Method Shiny yet?

Years
    • Seen Nov 15, 2013
    Far out, I'm 18 PC boxes full of charmanders now, really starting to go insane. I think I'm going to get rid of my JPN ditto and put a JPN charmander in the daycare instead, also going to make sure they're not holding any items. I'm simply paranoid at this stage that their are some unknown variables affecting the outcome of whether I will get a shiny or not..

250 charmanders deep right now. No shiny. Got a shiny Relicanth but I mean Relicanth........cmon :/ If anybody wants a hasty nature charmander you can swap me anything, I need to get rid of these guys.

Yeah I feel you, first day I got the game I ran into the grass on route 7 and a shiny smeargle appeared, like really?? The game gives me a shiny and it chooses a friggen smeargle..

Years
  • I literally just hatched my shiny charmander on 278th egg. My girlfriend screamed! I had japanese safari ditto holding destiny knot and hasty charmander holding everstone. Hopefully that clears up some of your paranoia. I really hope you get yours soon bro keep grinding!

Years
  • I literally just hatched my shiny charmander on 278th egg. My girlfriend screamed! I had japanese safari ditto holding destiny knot and hasty charmander holding everstone. Hopefully that clears up some of your paranoia. I really hope you get yours soon bro keep grinding!

Congrats on the shiny charmander :). I'm currently on 615 eggs and still no shiny larvitar, gotta keep grinding though.

Years
    • Seen Nov 15, 2013
    I literally just hatched my shiny charmander on 278th egg. My girlfriend screamed! I had japanese safari ditto holding destiny knot and hasty charmander holding everstone. Hopefully that clears up some of your paranoia. I really hope you get yours soon bro keep grinding!

Amazing! Congratulations!! Thank you for telling me as well, that makes me feel a little bit better haha.

Has anybody gotten a Masuda Method Shiny yet?

Lol yep.

[UPDATE] Ok WTF I just got a shiny magmar from friend safari... [UPDATE]

Last edited:
    Years
  • Finally got my shiny larvitar after 690 eggs XD. I'm so friggin happy right now, only need two more and I'll have an entire team of shiny pokes :).

Gonna go for a shiny tyrunt next, wish me luck and good luck to those still trying.

Back