• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Has anyone noticed

Years
  • I didn't learn how to count in Spanish until I was about 9, so I didn't notice for a little while. When I finally did, I thought they had messed it up because I always found Zapdos before I found Articuno. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever caught them in the "right" order.

Father-nature

I train only the finest
    Years
  • ...just some corrections because I'm bored
    > Venusaur is derived from Venus (Roman goddess of beauty, often associated with the earth element) + -saur suffix
    > Metapod is more likely from metamorphosis than from metal. There's nothing metallic about it. >_>
    > Pikachu comes from a pair of Japanese onomatopoeia. "pika" being the sound of crackling live wires and "chu" being the noise a mouse makes.

Actually Venusaur is supposed to be a Venus fly trap which is a plant
    just google it. and bulbasaur is a plant bulp and ivysaur is a poison ivy

And i didn't notice before that it was Uno dos tres, and when i do i love it :3

Novalis

Hisorian
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 14, 2012
    Yea thats pretty cool. Not sure what the point of numbering them would be though.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 6, 2015
    Well, for everyone who's all like "Dude, you're dumb. Everyone already knows that," I didn't know that. So, it's new news to me, and I appreciate the fact you created this thread. So, thanks.
    And this is the order I catch them:
    Yeah. None of them. Because I don't like legendarys. 'Cept maybe Mewtwo. And I don't care about completing my PokeDex.

Hey i dont like them either
    I just catch them to complete the pokedex
    You gotta Get em eventually :)

I know right?! And Muk.......

Nevermind.

Seriously though, old news is old (directed at OP).

Lol
    My mum pissed herself laughin at that

Last edited:

Darkfire_Danny

Houndoom Fanatic
    Years
  • Hehe, pretty much every Pokémon name has a meaning :P Some just aren't as obvious as others. I mean, Houndoom = Hound + Doom, simple. Skitty = Skittsh + Kitty... obviously.

Mareep is an anagram of 'ampere', a unit of electric current. There's an interesting one :P .

Silhouette

On my way to Viridian City ♪
    Years
  • Mareep is an anagram of 'ampere', a unit of electric current. There's an interesting one :P .
    Speaking of anagrams, I've heard that Metang was based off of an anagram of magnet, but I may be wrong.

Anyway, even though I knew about the uno, dos, tres bird thing, I'll admit that it took me a LONG time to figure it out. XD

tente2

"Outta my way, dammit!"
    Years
  • Wow...

Wow...all this time I've never noticed? WOW.

...people REALLY figured that out a long time ago? I mean, that was a really astute observation...now I kind of feel stupid...

Years
    • Seen Nov 16, 2010
    I'm going to be honest; I never noticed that.. XD

Unless I'm zoned out staring at the screen for several hours, I usually don't notice these types of things.

Stellar

Minior used Cosmic Power!
    Years
  • Spoiler:

Sorry, had to.

Anyway, when I first realized the whole "uno, dos, tres" thing I pitched a spazz and told everyone I know. They all freaked out too. It seems like such an obvious thing to know after you find out, but at first I was oblivious...

I also never got that Whitney's gym is in the shape of a Clefairy. I know it is because people have told me about it, but... I just don't see it. ):

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
    Years
  • I've noticed it for a long time. I actually noticed it when I was reading a pokemon guide :) lol.

Back