• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

has nintendeo lost it's way?

rstevenson1976

The Eevee-Loution Master
    Years
    I got to thinking, in Gen I & II if your game boy/game boy color broke you could play Pokemon on the SNES with the Super Game boy Adapter. Then came the N64 with Pokemon Stadium I & II and transfer packs(were those things even good for anything other than Pokemon?). Then came Gen III, if you broke your GBA you could play Pokemon on the Game Cube with the special attachment that plugged into the bottom with the boot disk, I think there was even a special Game cube disk that let you transfer your Gen III Pokemon to a file on a memory card for safe keeping. Then came Gen IV and V, if your DS/DS Lite/DSi/DSi XL breaks your basicly screwed there is no ds cart slot or adapter for the Wii.

so I ask again, has Nintendo lost it's way?

Gunn

horror resident
    Years
    Er, I see where you're getting at, but I don't think you've elaborated enough to justify Nintendo to losing it's "way" at all. It sounds like you're worried that if anything unfortunate happened to your DS or whatever, you won't have some sort of console alternative to rely on just in case. So let's not go as far as Nintendo trailing off it's usual approach. I mean, you could just have a second handheld lying around, y'know...

Years
    ^ Not everyone has enough money for a second DS. I know a couple of friends who can barely afford to have 2 games and a DS.

Used ones can't be trusted.

But I think Nintendo did that because the DS is technically a console in itself, albeit it's next handheld.

Gunn

horror resident
    Years
    ^ Not everyone has enough money for a second DS. I know a couple of friends who can barely afford to have 2 games and a DS.

Understood, but in this case, we're talking about a Wii console.

Used ones can't be trusted.

From personal experience, I've had satisfaction with buying lots of used Nintendo products, especially Nintendo products. The risky part is where you're buying from. The place I go to tests the product before they can sell it to you. That way, you're not getting ripped off. Some offer a 7-day return if the product isn't functioning properly or doesn't work at all.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    No they have not.

Making a DS game player attachment for the Wii would be a complete nightmare.

Operating a touch screen interface via the Wiimote would be cumbersome, for starters. Then there's the problem that Wiimote + Nunchuck only just enough buttons to mirror a DS, and the only way to fit them all onto the controllers would be very awkward.

It would also look pretty bad, because of the Wii's low resolution and having to display two screens on top of each other. Because the Wii is only an SD system you'll end up displaying more empty space than actual game screens. There's also the question of how such an attachment would work - Most likely a big ugly thing that clips onto the edge of your Wii and plugs in at the back? You need to fit the actual DS hardware in there to get good emulation, as the Game Boy Player and Super Game Boy did.

Years
    I don't really know. I mean, why would your DS brake? I'm fine with playing on the handheld if that's what you're asking.

I think Nintendo knows what they're doing, I've heard some rumours about Wii 2

Diablerie

Exceptionally Adequate
    Years
    I don't think it's fair to say "Nintendo has lost its way" over something so trivial...

It makes sense when you consider the reasons 100 Mega Shock stated above - a DS emulator on the Wii would honestly be way more trouble than it's worth.

Last edited:

Heart Gold

Jellicent Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2012
    Umm... that's why you don't break your DS. Maybe you think throwing it on concrete is fun?

I don't see how that results in Nintendo loosing their ways... and the Wii has no touchscreen.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    I don't really follow - hard to see how Nintendo (Nintendeo? =p) have 'lost their way' because they haven't made an alternative way to play a specific game - I wouldn't think they'd have sold that well and the Wii wouldn't work well for usual DS games which use the touchscreen so it's kinda logical there isn't anything like that now. Keeping the handhelds on the handhelds and all that. Centainly doesn't mean Nintendo sucks now - just don't go about using your DS as a weapon or whatnot. ;p

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    They actually have some games that you can purchase on the Wii now that are DS games (The Ace Attorney series, for one). However, the only Wii game that would even be suitable for such a thing is Battle Revolution, and perhaps during that time they couldn't think of a way to go it, seeing as BR was released before any DS games on the Wii (I think?)

But no, I don't think Nintendo have lost their way at all. Perhaps they simply couldn't implement it, or it was just too much of a hassle.

Years
    I definitely see where you're coming from, and it would be nice to play my DS games on the Wii, although the XL's screen is sufficient enough for me. Although the thread title
    doesn't seem very appropriate for the topic brought up in it. Pokemon is not Nintendo's only 'cash cow' franchise, and the fact that we can't play our games on a home console
    isn't really something that would ruin Pokemon forever. So no, Nintendo has not lost their way, in fact, they are still going strong.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    even ds emulators on the computer have no touch screens, and I thought the whole thing up cause some one I was talking to just told me their ds broke, besides if we're just talking pokemon the touch screen isn't that necessary in the first place

Computers have mice which act as a suitable alternative to using a stylus-based control. Game controllers, even the Wiimote, are nowhere near as accurate and easy to use as a mouse for precision controls.

Now you've gone from "the library of DS games on the Wii" to "a tiny fraction of DS games on the Wii" which makes the concept become a gigantic cost just to play Pokémon - which still uses the touch screen for a lot of additional features

Maelstromk

The Dead Philospher
    Years
    I never really thought about the topic before, but I don't see it as being too necessary, certaintly not "Nintendo losing it's way" I guess the one thing I HAVE always wondered is why Pokemon Ranch only works for Diamond and Pearl. I mean, you might lose game progress if you broke your DS but at least you'd still have your pokemon. I wouldn't mind seeing an update or a sequal just so I can store HG/SS and B/W Pokemon, not to mention Platinum. (sorry if I strayed a bit off topic, I thought it was pretty close to relevant...)

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    My Pokémon Ranch likely wasn't deemed to be profitable enough to warrant sending out an update, especially considering the Japanese version was patched for Platinum support. That's probably also why Mystery Dungeon on WiiWare was never released in English.

Last edited:
    Back