• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Has Pokemon declined?

Rayziken 2

Beginning ROM Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Sep 9, 2016
    I think that the games are constantly going up and down. Here's what I think happened:

Gen I: Extremely higgh on the rates.
    Gen II: Fell down a little bit.
    Gen III: Went up and recovered what happened in Gen II.
    Gen IV: Went to the near bottom.
    Gen V: Shot up to where it was around Gen II time.

That's just my opinion on Pokemon. Yes, I over appreciate Hoenn because that was when I started.

Years
    • Seen Mar 18, 2017
    No, I don't think Pokemon has really declined. The anime has seriously declined (oh god, the anime blows now), but the games are still very popular. Black and White have been met with very good reception, and if I remember correctly, they've been selling like crack pretty much everywhere.

Also, I don't get the whole "the older pokemon are better" crap. Several complaints I've heard (e.g "Klink just multiplies when it evolves. So uncreative.) can be applied to generation 1 as well.

Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2021
    Honestly, I don't think the games have declined. (It hasn't seemed like it to me, but that's probably because I haven't been playing Pokemon continuously.) Like someone has said earlier in this thread, Pokemon still appeals to the younger generations, and as long as there are children alive to play them, Pokemon won't decline.

Now I can't say the anime's declined exactly , but I can't say it's become better, exactly. Yes, it's more intact with the Japanese version since PokeUSA gained the license after 4Kids, but at the same time, much of what was originally popular on series, like Team Rocket's goofiness up until Best Wishes, has fallen away with each new season. Does that make sense?

Years
    IMO Pokemon hasn't declined, I think Gen 5 is the best yet since there's more features than the earlier gens and the anime seems more funnier, better looking and interesting that the past gens :)

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty

I lit a wee fire...on a boat!
    Years
    So, do you think Pokemon has decline since its original conception with the Kanto Region and the first 151 Pokemon?
    Of course. It's only natural for it to: nothing lasts forever, especially in a capitalist economy. Consumers want the latest thing, and when it stops being the latest thing then they want the next latest thing. For example, in five years time nobody will be throwing acid in anybody's faces over Edward vs. Jacob in the Twilight series, because we will have another literacy phenomenon.

If so, how?
    You know something is popular in the wider world if there are jokes made about it on TV (on news shows, quiz shows, etc.), if there's merchandise for it everywhere, and if parents who weren't already into it know about it for the sake of their kids. For example, when the latest Transformers movie came out, people were making jokes about Michael Bay, stores were packed full of toys, candy, bedsheets, etc. and non-fan parents were trying to remember who is who on their shopping trips. But now that the next big movie is (for example) Tintin, that wider interest is now only present to die-hard TF fans like me.

Alternatively, do you think it started declining after Gen I, or at a later point?
    I would say after the Johto games. IIRC, it was Gold/Silver/Crystal that really got everyone het up. New Pokemon? A new continent? Games in colour? The gaming magazines were full of it, comedians were making jokes about catchin' 'em all, and stores all across the UK were cashing in with merchandise. Then it all seemed to just fall quiet: Pokemon had had its day, and whilst some of the excitement was rekindled in gaming circles for LeafGreen and FireRed, the games only really mattered amongst the 'true fans' like those on PC.

Of course, the games are still capturing new players (if they didn't then none of us would be playing in the first place!) but it's not the worldwide icon it used to be. Most non-Pokemon fans don't remember anything past Pikachu and Ash Ketchum, the anime isn't shown all across TV, and merchandise is almost impossible to find.

I'm speaking from a British standpoint though, and we tend to get shafted when it comes to Japanese/American releases anyway. Maybe it's different for Americans and Japanese audiences, but this is my experience.

Years
    • Seen Mar 18, 2012
    I dont think that pokemon declined after gen 1, but after gen 3 i think that pokemon changed a lot and appealed to people in a different way. I may just be saying this however because i grew up with 1 2 and 3

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    I don't know whether the franchise has 'declined', but I would say that in some ways it has failed to improve in line with my expectations. I can't really comment on the anime/manga or the TCG, but with regard to the games, I like some of the direction they're going in but wish they would innovate and experiment more. The standard "Beat 8 Gym Leaders and a World Domination Team before becoming Champion thensidequestsidequestsidequest" is a little bit old hat now. For signs of a definitive improvement on my end, a changing up of the storyline in the main series would go a long way.

Snivy063

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 16, 2012
    In my opinion, no, simply because there are far more people who prefers the new generation than the older ones, plus there are also people who started in the late generation such as Gen V. So I don't see why you asked this question. >w<;'

Years
    I agree with Snivy063, there are some Pokefans who still prefer the early days but I have always grown with every new Gen and new set of Pokemon that comes with it.

And I still see Pokemon being as good as it was more than 10 years ago.

Back