• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hate when players don't actually know pokemon

Years
  • Don't you just hate how some people jumped on the Pokémon Go train without even knowing anything about Pokémon? I've seen people all the time playing Pokémon Go who never watched any of the shows or played any of the old games and are just getting the game because their friends have it. I don't know about you guys but that stuff just drives me nuts. Anyone else? What's your opinion?

Years
  • WTF... I mean people are not allowed to play this game if they aren't a hardcore Pokemon fan since Gen1? Or do you mean they should have studied the world of Pokemon before downloading the game? You could use this logic in the main games too (**** I hate when people buy the new Sun & Moon without knowing anything about Pokemon!!).

I think it's great that new people are getting introduced to pokemon because of Pokemon Go. Hell they might even get the main games for handheld consoles if they like Go a lot.

Majestic Electric

Raining on your parade!
    Years
  • I don't necessarily hate it, I just find it frustrating. Like, some people are only playing the game because it's the thing to do nowadays. Kinda reminds of the 90's when Pokemon was really big and some people were playing the games / collecting TCG cards / watching the show because everyone else was.

I mean, if this game can get new people into the franchise, that's great! But honestly I feel you should have at least some knowledge, even something small, of how Pokemon works. On the other hand, I do like how I can talk about Pokemon to some of my friends who weren't remotely interested in it until now...

Years
  • I have no issues with people playing Pokemon GO without knowing anything about Pokemon. I think it's great, actually. Everyone at work plays the game with me at lunch breaks and my siblings play it, too!
    The only thing that is a little annoying is when the people who have no knowledge of Pokemon tell me that they have been huge fans since day 1. I'm like, really... then how come the only Pokemon you recognize is Pikachu?

VisualJae

[size=1][FONT=Michroma][color=#a42525][b]Spam Hype
    Years
  • Why would you hate it? The franchise isn't supposed to cater to a select few.

So if you pick up a new interest or hobby, you'll be okay when others complain about your ignorance just like what you're doing now? I've been with the franchise since 1998, perhaps I should complain about everyone who hopped on the bandwagon six months after I did? Same concept.

What you're doing is displaying elitism. Generally not a great thing.

Last edited:

dad

big poppa
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 13, 2018
    I don't think it should matter whether you've been playing pokemon since day one or since the release of GO. It's bringing people together to socialize and exercise while having fun. Another thing is you don't know the reason why some of these people just started playing Pokemon GO. Some parents may have not allowed their children to play it or for some it may have been a financial issue, not everyone can afford a gameboy and games to go along with it.

Years
  • I have nothing wrong with new people playing Go who haven't had much experience with the Pokemon series, we all started somewhere right :)

The only thing that does irritate me is the people that have been teasing and almost bullying me and others for years because we play Pokemon and then they play this game and it's fine...hypocritical much...

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    WTF... I mean people are not allowed to play this game if they aren't a hardcore Pokemon fan since Gen1? Or do you mean they should have studied the world of Pokemon before downloading the game? You could use this logic in the main games too (**** I hate when people buy the new Sun & Moon without knowing anything about Pokemon!!).

I think it's great that new people are getting introduced to pokemon because of Pokemon Go. Hell they might even get the main games for handheld consoles if they like Go a lot.
    This!

I don't see anything at all even remotely bad about people who are new to the franchise picking up GO to start their Pokémon journey. Sure they may just be doing it as a fad but having new Pokémon fans in the world can only be a good thing both for the franchise and the community, and having so many people now playing it across the world will do wonders for the Pokémon fans who feel like they can't talk about Pokémon or play it in public without being judged for it. Then there's also more simple stuff like more players = more money = more development etc, but basically I can't see any reason at all that this is a bad thing other than a strange belief that only hardcore fans of a series should be able to buy the newest releases for some reason.

The only thing that does irritate me is the people that have been teasing and almost bullying me and others for years because we play Pokemon and then they play this game and it's fine...hypocritical much...
    This is the only real reason I can see for someone being against these people picking up GO as a fad, but it's not something I've ever experienced myself so I can't really give an informed answer regarding this point.

Years
  • I think one of the more upsetting things for some fans is that anyone can jump in without any previous knowledge and still seem to have fun. In a way it makes it feel like they're disregarding the fan's hard work in being a fan and all their knowledge and experience. Like, your years of playing Pokemon games and everything doesn't really matter. I'm not saying it doesn't matter, but we old timers shouldn't compare ourselves to the new people. We should just enjoy the game ourselves as much as we can.

Hiidoran

[B]ohey[/B]
    Years
  • I'm not saying it doesn't matter, but we old timers shouldn't compare ourselves to the new people. We should just enjoy the game ourselves as much as we can.
    I'm with Scarf here, we really should just focus on trying to enjoy the game for what it is.

Right or wrong, I think we long time fans have this sense of entitlement when it comes to GO. We have the knowledge, the dedication, the history, and while all of those things could come together to possibly give us an even better playing experience, we get upset when we see other people without this having fun. We really shouldn't; we should just be excited there are this many people enjoying something we've known to be enjoyable for a long time.

I know I get a little sore when I see 'Pokébros' out and about who don't even know the names of the creatures they're catching and placing in gyms; even more so when their trainer level is higher than mine. I just remind myself that they have more free time than I do, and I'm still having fun.

sCam

Killing is a pleasure
    Years
    • ny
    • Seen Dec 18, 2016
    Yeah, my sister used to make fun of me playing pokemon. Once her best friend downloaded the game and told her to get it. She jumped on the bandwagon asap. Now she's bothering me everyday "what pokemon is this" "how do you catch this pokemon"

I don't mind her playing it or anyone for the matter since the game is for everyone..but the bombardment of questions gets annoying. I would link her to serebii but she's computer illiterate.

Years
    • Seen Aug 19, 2016
    Over the last 3 weeks, I've literally spent more time in this forum reading, out there playing, let alone out there defending this community (to the public as there are still haters), and totally interested in everything you all have to offer.

I can only say thank you to those that have taken the time to help me and enabling me to understand the deeper side of Pokemon. Yeah I watched the cartoon as a kid and my children watch the cartoon to this day. I don't have that keen understanding that you all have but I can say that I've grown tremendously here in this community and give huge thanks to you all.

I may be a noob, but I'm a dedicated noob. lol

So I guess this is me saying thank you and tilting my hat to you all.

Shuhbooty

space and time
    Years
  • I have no problem with this? I think it's super cool (to the ones playing for the game and not the hype) that people are enjoying PoGo. It's given a drive to almost everyone that has this game to go outside and meet others, and explore areas/parks/monuments and more. Everyone starts somewhere. You think older gens thought the same thing about YOU, when you started playing? Doubt it. The community would be nothing if people did not get interested in pokemon!​

Tewi

Хорошо
    Years
  • I don't care about that, i'm happy that there can be more fans of one of my favorite franchises, for example, it didn't came out here yet, but we are planning to play a lot with some friends that were never interested in Pokemon in the first place.
    I'd be annoyed only with people that say they always were huge pokemon fans, but couldn't name you more than Pikachu.

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    I have nothing wrong with new people playing Go who haven't had much experience with the Pokemon series, we all started somewhere right :)

This right here is pretty much everything I would want to say about this topic summarized in one sentence.
    Don't hate on others for starting wherever they start, no matter what time in the franchise's life they start at, it will always be the tipping point for many into true fandom.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • That mindset is basically elitism at its finest. It's like saying you're a soccer fan if all you did was watch soccer on TV but never played the actual sport. This is also the same mindset old school fans use against players who had RSE or DPPt as their first Pokémon game. The entire purpose of this app was to introduce casuals to the series so they could be interested in buying the mainline games, which happens to be working.

Years
  • Rather than attacking the new fans for starting the franchise with Pokemon Go you should introduce those people to the main games and recommend them to try them if they like Pokemon Go. All franchises need new fans cause over time the fan base is gonna get smaller and smaller if they don't get new fans. It's important to introduce the franchise to new people as well as maintain the old fan base.

Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2016
    I think it's good that people who aren't long-time fans can jump in and enjoy themselves and have fun - who knows, maybe they'll be interested in Pokemon as a franchise now and check out some of the shows and main game series - it's nothing but a good thing if more people know about Pokemon and regard it in a good light.

LilBueno

Boy Wonder
    Years
  • There is absolutely nothing wrong with Go players not having been fans of the series until now. Go is completely unique compared to the rest of the franchise and it's a mobile app with little story; they still might not be interested in the main series and that's perfectly fine. The franchise is healthier because of Go. I can't think of how many games I've played that are a part of a series without having been a fan of previous entries before.
    Companies will almost always try to bring in new fans and it rarely ever affects the quality of the series for current/past fans.

Back