• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Have you read a pokémon manga, yes or no?

NameMeansAll

Stay true-anything is Possible
Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2013
    I never really got into it really. Though I like to check it out and read it some time. Somewhat hard to find it here though..

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2016
    I have read it until sometime into pearl and diamond .hoenn arc is one of my favourties.

Savant

Natural Born Breeder
    Years
  • I read Pokemon Adventures, the entire RBY arc. I stopped as the GSC arc started but I remember Gold having an Aipom and battling a Hoothoot. I believe I stopped because at that time there weren't any more translated chapters.

ChipmunkGamingInc.

Owner of Chipmunk Gaming Inc.
    Years
  • I can't read the manga.
    Not that I don't want to, I'm physically unable to read the manga.

First, I'm German. I've moved to London, Britain. I currently live in America. I speak English, but I can't really read or write it. My elder brother studied English since he was in third grade, so most everything I put on here is proofread by him. And I have to translate a lot of the words on here.

Second, I can't read Japanese. So that's out of the question.

Third, I'm fairly sure if the manga doesn't come in German. If you know if the manga comes in German, please tell me. I really would like to read it.

*~Maelstrom~*

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I prefer watching anime than reading a manga :)
    Some do prefer that. I like both, but in the case of pokémon I just think the manga is so much better. Less immature and with much more story than the anime.

The only one I read was Pocket Monster Special. It really wasn't that special >.>
    I think it is :] Compared to other manga, it might not be spectacularly deep, but I like how they take the storyline of the games and turn it into something, well, special. Best example is the Yellow saga. Very unique compared to both the anime and the games.

I only read up to mid-Johto, right when the author changed, I believe.
    Oh, but it gets very good after that! I miss the old Kanto-arcs artist with the cuter style and the more odd pokémon depictions. But the "new" one is pretty good too. Especially in the Hoenn saga.

I never really got into it really. Though I like to check it out and read it some time. Somewhat hard to find it here though..
    It really isn't hard to find it. Do a google search with words like pokémon adventures scans. Just saying. ;) In paper form though, it's very difficult to find. Only way for me to get them is to order them online with a hefty shipping cost.

I have read it until sometime into pearl and diamond .hoenn arc is one of my favourties.
    I assume you mean the Pokémon Adventures / Special manga. Pearl and diamond was really different from the other arcs, imo. Hoenn was still a bit better, yeah ;) But the dynamics between the three main characters in Sinnoh was nice.

I read Pokemon Adventures, the entire RBY arc. I stopped as the GSC arc started but I remember Gold having an Aipom and battling a Hoothoot. I believe I stopped because at that time there weren't any more translated chapters.
    Yeah, that's one of the first things that happen in the GSC arc. Those are among my favorite chapters of the manga though! I hope you'll try to find some more and read them again at some point :) It's not as difficult to find online as people seem to believe. You just gotta know what you are looking for. The manga list thread in Pokémon General can probably help with that ^^

I read Pokemon Adventures up to the latest chapter translated recently, on the HG/SS arc
    Great~ I have yet to find and finish the whole HG/SS arc. So far I don't like it as much as the earlier chapters. :x

I can't read the manga.
    Not that I don't want to, I'm physically unable to read the manga.

First, I'm German. I've moved to London, Britain. I currently live in America. I speak English, but I can't really read or write it. My elder brother studied English since he was in third grade, so most everything I put on here is proofread by him. And I have to translate a lot of the words on here.

Second, I can't read Japanese. So that's out of the question.

Third, I'm fairly sure if the manga doesn't come in German. If you know if the manga comes in German, please tell me. I really would like to read it.

*~Maelstrom~*
    That's sad to hear. But I think you write very well here :) I hope that if you learn more English in written form in the future, you will pick up the Pokémon Adventures manga. If you still like pokémon. Because it's a very different but also very interesting iteration of the pokémon universe.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Of course! Pokemon Adventures/Special was the reason why I first came here to PokeCommunity. It's also what I was obsessed with the following months after, with my many Red themes and such! When I started not having Red themes people were actually wondering what is happening and someone actually got mad at me because I said 'i will always have a red theme'. Well, that was really just me being naive I guess. But my location and ego emblem are still a reminder of those fun times haha!

I haven't read the manga in a while though. I think I started B/W maybe a year ago or something but after I caught up I just didn't continue. I'venever gotten the chance to finish D/P, read Platinum, or read HGSS either. Maybe one day when I even want to read any manga I'll go and read through those arcs.

I've also read a little bit of Tales of Electric Pikachu (very little) and I've also read what I could of Pokemon Magical Journey ♥

Telinc1

Weirdo Extraordinaire
    Years
  • No, I have never read Pokémon manga, or any kind of manga for that matter. Even though I would love to, as it seems pretty interesting, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't find it where I live. I'm also probably too old for manga, too.

Altair1

Willpower
    Years
  • The first and only manga I've read is Pokemon adventures, I believe I got up to somewhere around the G/S/C part.
    The last thing I remember reading is that trainer who uses a Hoothoot to keep track of time for some mini-game. But he cheats and tells the Hoothoot to stop the time before it's even up.
    I enjoyed reading them. I just stopped awhile ago though. I'm into the games again so I probably won't be reading again anytime soon.

Years
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    I can't read the manga. Not that I don't want to, I'm physically unable to read the manga. First, I'm German. I've moved to London, Britain. I currently live in America. I speak English, but I can't really read or write it. My elder brother studied English since he was in third grade, so most everything I put on here is proofread by him. And I have to translate a lot of the words on here. Second, I can't read Japanese. So that's out of the question. Third, I'm fairly sure if the manga doesn't come in German. If you know if the manga comes in German, please tell me. I really would like to read it. *~Maelstrom~*
    Don't call Pokémon Special 'the Pokémon manga'. It's far from the only Pokémon manga, nobody know how many Pokémon manga series there are, but I have counted at least 92 different series (and some of them are just as good as Pokémon Special). So calling Pokémo Special 'the manga' is kind of insulting towards all the other Pokémon manga series.

Anyway, to answer your question:
    Volume 1-3 were published in German a long time ago. I've heard that the translation isn't the best and that they even translated the names of the Pokédex holders. I think the German editions are based on the VIZ 1st editions, which means that it's cross-translated from English and that the pages are flipped from the original right to left reading fornat to the western left to right reading format, which impacts the artwork negatively. But, I think that it's probably worth getting in your case. (If there was an official translation of a Pokémon manga in my language I would get it, even if it's a little bad).

Since the German editions have been out of print for probably over a decade you'll probably have to get used volumes: https://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_trk...C0&_nkw=Pokemon+Adventures&_sacat=0&_from=R40 https://www.amazon.de/s/ref=nb_sb_n...s=aps&field-keywords=Pokemon+Adventures,+BR40
    Also try searching for the titles and the ISBNs (from Amazon.de) via Google.de and choose to only show pages written in German.

No, I have never read Pokémon manga, or any kind of manga for that matter. Even though I would love to, as it seems pretty interesting, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't find it where I live.
    Ever heard of Google, scans and book websites?

I'm also probably too old for manga, too.
    That's a funny thing to say on a Pokémon forum :P

Last edited:
    Back