• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Have your opinions changed since the release?

Dunsparce

The Land Snake Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    For me kanto was fun to see, but kanto is completely plot-less, making it more like a small obstacle before you complete the game. Maybe its meant to be an obstacle, but in my opinion the storyline is just way too short and rushed.

This is most likely because Kanto is non-linear in GSC and HGSS. You can fight the Gym leaders and in almost any order (Except Green/Blue, who is always last). You can got through the entire game without ever setting foot in Rock Tunnel, Mt Moon, or Viridian Forest.

HGSS met my expectations, but I still love my Crystal Version(s) More. With Crystal, I can connect to Stadium 2, my favorite 3D Pokemon Game. Plus, I love my Game Boy Color :3 It really has nothing to do with nostalgia, but rather the Mechanics of the Generation. Such examples include two-way trading with the previous Generation(4th Gen is One-Way only) and the more Stall-based Metagame(Compared to the overly offensive DPPt Metagame).

Azumi

★七色に光る女★
    Years
    (Well, I was unable to play Platinum's system without having to get used to the B button again and again, AND not to mention limiting my touch screen use...)

Well, answering your question, it changed for the better.

Eggie Poo Poo

OM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM
    Years
    I guess, it was better than I thought. Still some ruinations or IMPROVEMENTS as they call them, really piss me off.

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    My opinion about Soul Silver is totally changed. I don't like the Lugia event, and i like Ho ohs theme more than anything from Pokemon so far.

So i think i'm getting Heart Gold. Or Both. XD

ソラ

Im gonna be the King of the Pirates
    Years
    Well, Imma obtain Soul Silver this Thanksgiving. But I beat SS on Emulation and I liked it alot.
    So when i tried to order SS it was out, so I bought HG, and it also blew me away. I like the GSC series out of all of them, and I like the fact that the remade it for the NDS, where you can trade internationally(Like D/P/Pt), and I like the graphics, and I like the how you can like use the menu screen with just your stylus, and I just like the game it self, and I love the story, like always. and I like Johto, and I love the music, Specially the Red Fight music, it was amazing to my ears. lol IMO

EDIT: and I like the Pokemon following you, special my favorite Pokemon.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2017
    Yes. my opinion has surely changed.
    At first, I was too sure that it was going to be the greatest in almost all aspects, but now my opinion for it has become more negative.
    Yeah, surely it's a great game still, but it lacks a lot that I hoped for, even though it did bring in some other small good things.
    Overall, it has a little more positive image, and a comparatively bigger negative image to me. But it still is a great game.

The Roshi

I must become stronger...
    Years
    It could be the lack of english, but I didn't get a huge thrill when playing HG/SS. I hate the sprites, the game still feels old due to its nature (remake). I'm really disappointed with the game and I find myself missing platinum. I'll probably go back to platinum and play it again and just use it as my main game instead of the johto ones. Don't get me wrong, this is an amazing game... just platinum was more fun for me since it was all new, and I'd been waiting for a poke ds game for ages (didn't get a ds till june of this year)

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    Not very much. I've warmed up to some of the redesigns, but I still retained the basic opinions on the game as a whole. Though Contests leaving are a very pleasant concept for me.

Years
    • Seen May 30, 2010
    At first I thought this game would be amazing. I never got far in the the original Gold, for reasons outside of the game. I was really excited, for this would be the first time I really got to experiance it for all that it is worth, plus more. I finally have the game, and it was slightly better then I imagined. It's not only really fun, but also very visually pleasing. When I walked to the Tin Tower, I moved very slowly. The beautiful, orange trees that decorated the sides of the path, followed by the equally stunning leaves on the ground was breath taking. But it's not just the looks, the way the game plays is so addicting! Sure, It may not be much differant, if at all, from the other Generation four games, but its just..I really can't describe how happy it makes me! When I beat the Elite Four, I have a second region to reexplore. It's almost as having two games in one.

Maybe it's because I find Pokemon as an escape from reality, that it feels real to me. Maybe it's just me being me. I really cannot get enough of this game. I am, for sure, going to preorder Soul Silver when it comes to the United States, so that I may enjoy the exprience even more!!

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    It could be the lack of english, but I didn't get a huge thrill when playing HG/SS. I hate the sprites, the game still feels old due to its nature (remake). I'm really disappointed with the game and I find myself missing platinum. I'll probably go back to platinum and play it again and just use it as my main game instead of the johto ones. Don't get me wrong, this is an amazing game... just platinum was more fun for me since it was all new, and I'd been waiting for a poke ds game for ages (didn't get a ds till june of this year)
    The lack of English is probably due to the fact the game hasn't been released in English as yet if you were playing the imported version from Japan. However, it's a remake and it is to be expected that you'll be playing through the game as it was originally in addition with the new additions and touches to the game. Platinum is the latest generation to Diamond and Pearl, it was new with things players never traveled through before Diamond and Pearl so of course it would grab more attention. However, HeartGold and SoulSilver has lived up to its expectations thus far to many, and for that my opinion hasn't changed as yet. Of course actual gameplay will give me more of an opinion with it as a whole, but so far I can't say anything negative about the game from what I have mentioned within the months before.

The Roshi

I must become stronger...
    Years
    No kidding that the lack of english is due to the game's country of origin. And you're just restating exactly what I said about it being a remake... >_>

There are people who have not played GSC and playing HGSS would be a new experience for them. It's been long enough where a reasonable amount of pokemon fans would have NOT played GSC.

I don't know what you got out of quoting me lol...

Verkaufer

bis zum bitteren ende
    Years
    My opinion has changed for the better, actually. After reading some the Japanese release coverage, I feel that this game will be one the better ones. I know I'll have a blast going through areas that I remember as a kid xD

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    I only played up to about Azalea Town before giving the copy of Crystal I had to my cousin, and looking at these new recreations of the games look amazing in their own right but really don't remind me of the originals at all. So it's probably going to be a fun game, just a different kind of fun from what the originals were. Or, at least, that's what I predict.

Back