• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft

Klippy

L E G E N D of
Years
  • Hearthstone is a free-to-play collectable card game made by Blizzard and it's one of the best things to come out this year. It's set in the Warcraft universe and all of the cards come from Warcraft lore. Not only does it put some neat twists on turn-based card matches, but it also is entirely free! You can pay for things, but that's optional and not required to do well. It can be downloaded straight from Blizzard and Battle.net at no charge and it's quite easy to pick up and begin playing right away.

Anyone else playing this right now? If you aren't, why aren't you? It's free! And fun! :)

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    I downloaded it, played a bunch of ranked games and had fun. Ultimately I stopped because I didn't have the passion or patience to make stand-up desks with the few unlock cards I had. My arsenal was still fairly vanilla, which I don't think is the greatest.

I also found that many people would purposefully lose games just to play at a lower rank, where they could then totally own noobs like myself. I played against somebody who completely shut down what I was trying to do, while simultaneously tearing me a new one with his cards. I was also matched against somebody who ran out every single turn timer, never placing down a single card, giving me a free win on him. Neither are fun scenarios.

It also helps that I was never into Magic: The Gathering.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • I downloaded it, played a bunch of ranked games and had fun. Ultimately I stopped because I didn't have the passion or patience to make stand-up desks with the few unlock cards I had. My arsenal was still fairly vanilla, which I don't think is the greatest.

I also found that many people would purposefully lose games just to play at a lower rank, where they could then totally own noobs like myself. I played against somebody who completely shut down what I was trying to do, while simultaneously tearing me a new one with his cards. I was also matched against somebody who ran out every single turn timer, never placing down a single card, giving me a free win on him. Neither are fun scenarios.

It also helps that I was never into Magic: The Gathering.

Yeah, there's a real issue in the game with people running down the clock annoyingly. I think it's probably the worst thing about the game. It happens to me often, but I tend to have a "OH YEAH? I'LL SHOW YOU!" attitude to them and just keep playing while they refuse to. I feel like it probably annoys them equally as much.

And there's a trick to getting a decent amount of cards fast, you just have to constantly switch your hero and take advantage of any "Quests" that appear. I've gotten a fair amount of rares doing that.

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    Yeah, there's a real issue in the game with people running down the clock annoyingly. I think it's probably the worst thing about the game. It happens to me often, but I tend to have a "OH YEAH? I'LL SHOW YOU!" attitude to them and just keep playing while they refuse to. I feel like it probably annoys them equally as much.

And there's a trick to getting a decent amount of cards fast, you just have to constantly switch your hero and take advantage of any "Quests" that appear. I've gotten a fair amount of rares doing that.

Hmm, you must be right. I don't think I cared much for the quests, though I did try to play at least once with every hero. I remember particularly liking Hunter, and Rogue. I forget what else.

I'd say let's play but I uninstalled not long ago :(

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • Hmm, you must be right. I don't think I cared much for the quests, though I did try to play at least once with every hero. I remember particularly liking Hunter, and Rogue. I forget what else.

I'd say let's play but I uninstalled not long ago :(

Good thing it's reaaaaally easy to re-install. ;)

Hunter's great though. I...think I'm currently using...uh...the Shaman. Really enjoying him, but I've begun to get the hang of a lot of the Heroes. Except for the Warlock/Warrior/Rogue. Never bothered with them yet.

Yukari

This game did catch my eye earlier this year. But I honestly didn't know that it was free to play. SO if you'll excuse me I'm going to go download it now.

Nillemi

Under my Rock
    Years
  • I've been playing this game so much since about this time last year and I've loved it! Despite not being able to spend much on the game (3$ back in beta to unlock the Golden Gelbin) I managed to Earn myself an impressive collection.

I'm especially looking forward to the Expansion Gnomes vs Goblins that comes out next month. While some of the cards don't seem to be the best in the world (Madder Bomber I'm looking at you) They seem like a ton of fun to play Not to mention that Gnomes and Goblins are my favorite 2 Warcraft Races.

Tyrael

This is a Sailor's Prayer
    Years
  • Luckily I got here before the 30 days killed this thread!! :D

Yesterday the Goblins vs Gnomes expansion was released and it implemented 123 new collectable cards, a new card type: Mech, and a new thing called "Spare Parts". Personally, I was really excited for the release of this expansion because of the variety that would accompany it. While playing the couple of games that I've played since release, I have seen quite a few interesting decks utilizing the new cards.

I was just kind of curious to see how many people were also really hyped for this release and how they think the game will change with the amazing new additions to the game.

Also, funny picture from a game I was playing earlier:

Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2014
    Luckily I got here before the 30 days killed this thread!! :D

Yesterday the Goblins vs Gnomes expansion was released and it implemented 123 new collectable cards, a new card type: Mech, and a new thing called "Spare Parts". Personally, I was really excited for the release of this expansion because of the variety that would accompany it. While playing the couple of games that I've played since release, I have seen quite a few interesting decks utilizing the new cards.

I was just kind of curious to see how many people were also really hyped for this release and how they think the game will change with the amazing new additions to the game.

Also, funny picture from a game I was playing earlier:

GVG Hype! Also, gratz on getting that legendary! Did you get it in one of the three free packs or did you buy more packs? :D

Tyrael

This is a Sailor's Prayer
    Years
  • GVG Hype! Also, gratz on getting that legendary! Did you get it in one of the three free packs or did you buy more packs? :D

I spent about $100 on packs day of release, managed enough dust to craft golden Gahz. That's really all I wanted to accomplish with my life, so it's done now! :D

SparklingMistral

The #1 Remus Lupin fanatic!
    Years
  • I picked it up recentlyish. I played it a bit when I first got it forever ago, but I picked it up again recentlyish. It's a nice game, good for passing the time, haha. I unlocked all the characters, & I'm just playing them to get all of their basic cards. I'm probably best with Mage, but she's the only one I've seriously played, haha.

I'm Felly#1754 if anyone wanted to add me; we could play together if we happened to be on at the same time. :3

Tirion

Lint Magnet
    Years
  • I was fairly hardcore Paladin for a while, which was tough because it was an unbelievably bad class--almost unviably so after Naxx. I uninstalled for finals week at university, so I haven't been able to try GvG yet, but I've watched a fair amount on Twitch. Luckily, it seems Pally is pretty good again with Shielded Minibot and Muster/Quartermaster combo.

An honest warning from what I have observed, though, for those considering picking the game up. The release of GvG seems to have significantly reduced the free-to-play accessibility of the game. From what I have seen, you are going to lose most of your matches for a long time if you don't spend any money. Just something to keep in mind.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
    Years
  • Free to play cards will give you a taste of the game, enough to decide whether you like it or not.
    If you keep playing, Naxxramas is a must buy at $25.

You need to collect classic packs for awhile before getting GvG cards. The classic packs are the foundation of the game.

I imagine the matchmaking would pair you up with other noob in causal. Ranked play resets each month, so even the best players are low rank. Ranked play is easier at the end of the month when the good players rank up.

I have gotten the best legendary cards from doing daily quests. I have spent less money here than on a single Deck of magic cards. Spending $50 might sound like alot, but most Magic tournament players spend $300 on a single deck. I'm never going back to Magic.

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
  • I'm fairly new to Hearthstone since my best friend is trying to get me into it. It's fun, but a little challenging since I don't usually hit the TCG part of any gaming. Started of with Mage, but I'm currently building up on Shaman at the moment since a lot of the packs I've got recently had some good Shaman cards.
    Just been tackling quests (still needing help) and have done Arena once with pretty bad losses.
    It'll take a while to get the hang of I guess, but it's a lot more fun than I've expected haha.

Skip Class

Years
  • Isn't it just for tablets though? I mean, I don't know how TCG games fair on smartphones, but it would be nice to play on the go and I don't own a tablet yet :s

GlakeGG

The Phantom Prince
    Years
  • Isn't it just for tablets though? I mean, I don't know how TCG games fair on smartphones, but it would be nice to play on the go and I don't own a tablet yet :s

It actually launched on PC/Mac first. ios release followed that, and now it's available on Android. I would still much rather play it on a PC considering the game runs a bit sluggish if you're not using a high end, $300+ tablet, but it's still really convenient to play on the go nonetheless.

Skip Class

Years
  • It actually launched on PC/Mac first. ios release followed that, and now it's available on Android. I would still much rather play it on a PC considering the game runs a bit sluggish if you're not using a high end, $300+ tablet, but it's still really convenient to play on the go nonetheless.

Yeah I know it's been released for PC/Mac. Meant when "all Android and iOS devices" was mentioned that didn't include any official release for smartphones.
    Friends of mine have it on iPad and find it pretty nice to play on. There are times when they don't have time to just sit down on their PCs and laptops to play or they go on holiday without their laptop and since I've been looking at high powered tablets recently, thought I might as well download Hearthstone when I get one.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
    Years

Oops, just tablets with a 6 inch screen and larger. There is a list of approved devices.

If anybody has questions about the game, feel free to ask here.

Back