• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Intro] Hellooooo

MORDZgaming

Being defeated is just a mere condition, giving up
Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2022
    Greetings trainers! Newbie here, glad to get back in the franchise.

I can barely remember the very 1st time I held a gameboy, but what I do remember clearly is how glorious it was the 1st time I beat Brock's Onyx with a 1-hit water gun from Squirtle playing Pokemon Red. Its funny remembering how immersive the game was at the time considering I would just play for hours on end until the batteries run out, when in todays standard you would just cringe looking at a game like Pokemon Red, not to mention the audio just sounds like it was made from the tunes editor on an old school nokia phone.

Anyway, several years after that, I remember how psyched I was when my dad got me a GBAsp with Pokemon Emerald including a wireless adapter. I had a friend at the time that also had an sp with a wireless adapter and was absolutely obsessed with the franchise, seriously the guy had like both FireRed and LeafGreen as well as Sapphire, Ruby and Emerald. He then thought me some exploits like cathing 5 Zigzagoons with the pickup ability at the start and just run around to get infinite items, which I then did for a week straight before even moving on to the 1st gym. He also traded me legendaries which further led to the demise of my social life entirely, but was absolutely worth it ofcourse.

Sad to say that for the years that came after, I was slowly and painfully introduced to the complexities of life and from then on turned my back on this silly game of catching these so called pocket monsters.

20 years later, I guess due to the numbing boredom caused by this pandemic, led me back yet again for another adventure in the world of Pokemon. I have to say alots changed and I could'nt even comprehend what people on the Pokemon Subreddit are even talking about. Reading through some of the discussions, I came across the term Rom Hack and immediately googled it and upon doing so is probably the best decision I have ever made.

I was not aware that there were said GBA Rom Hacks that essentially are remake versions of the original games, I was also not aware that you could even play these from the convenience of just your phone via emulators above anything else, for absolutely free. Just playing through a couple of versions like Blazing Emerald and GS Chronicles really hit pretty close to home for me and I will be forever thankful for everyone that made this all possible.

Right now, I'm currently playing through a new one I found called FireRed 514 and having an absolute blast. If you have any recommendations, by all means please share it. So happy to be here!

Years
  • Welcome Mordz! Glad to have you back in the franchise as well~ Personally I fall out of love every now and then, but there's really just something with these pocket monsters that keep drawing me back lol.
    Its funny remembering how immersive the game was at the time considering I would just play for hours on end until the batteries run out, when in todays standard you would just cringe looking at a game like Pokemon Red, not to mention the audio just sounds like it was made from the tunes editor on an old school nokia phone.
    Hey now! Don't be dissin' the masterful 8-bit music of the original games :3 I love that they were able to convey so much with so little. That trainer battle theme is iconic af <3 The simplicity of the older games were something to marvel at, but I can understand ofc that it easily gets undermined by just how advanced today's generation of video games have gotten. If you wanna participate in more discussions like this, you can go check out our Previous Generations section :)

He then thought me some exploits like cathing 5 Zigzagoons with the pickup ability at the start and just run around to get infinite items, which I then did for a week straight before even moving on to the 1st gym. He also traded me legendaries which further led to the demise of my social life entirely, but was absolutely worth it ofcourse.
    Oh man, that's actually genius lol. I might just try that if I ever replay RSE soon~ I honestly wish I had a friend who was just as into Pokemon as I was in my formative years. Trading with someone you know and trust must be an awesome feeling <3 I don't think Wonder Trades achieve that same effect, but hey that's just me :p

Sad to say that for the years that came after, I was slowly and painfully introduced to the complexities of life and from then on turned my back on this silly game of catching these so called pocket monsters.
    Such is the pain of growing up and getting busy :c I relate to that too hard. But hey, getting back into it after a while really does freshen things up and make the fire grow brighter :D

Reading through some of the discussions, I came across the term Rom Hack and immediately googled it and upon doing so is probably the best decision I have ever made.
    Very, very same lmao. I discovered them back in 2013, which is actually what led me to create this account in the first place. My first ROM hack that I remember playing was Glazed I believe, and that sparked my love for custom made regions & stories. Fakemons are also a recent interest for me. I used to loathe them, but ever since the quality of fakemons have improved, I've grown to really like them. Oh, fan made regional variants too! Lord bless them <3

Right now, I'm currently playing through a new one I found called FireRed 514 and having an absolute blast. If you have any recommendations, by all means please share it. So happy to be here!
    I believe you already know your way around the forums since you've been playing hacks? If not, I'll just leave this link to Pokecommunity's ROM Hacks Studio hehe. Games Showcase too if you also like playing fan games (i.e. Pokemon games that aren't made via rom hacking, and are their own separate thing entirely) If you haven't played them yet, I'd recommend Pokemon Unbound, Glazed, Fire Red: Rocket Edition, and Xenoverse. My personal Top 4.

If you use Discord btw we also have an official Discord Server, where you can chat with other Pokefans and have fun!

Anyway, hope you enjoy your stay, and don't hesitate to ask questions if you have any :) Would be happy to help out. Have a good one!

Years
  • Hello!

I haven't played any hacks myself, but always good to see people enjoying them =)
    So are you only playing hacks atm or also official pokemon games?

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Welcome back to the world of Pokémon, Mordz. And welcome to the forums too! I can't really make any good recommendations on hacks, but I'm excited for you to get involved in many of them! PC has a pretty stellar reputation for producing great games so have fun! :)

MORDZgaming

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2022
    Welcome Mordz! Glad to have you back in the franchise as well~ Personally I fall out of love every now and then, but there's really just something with these pocket monsters that keep drawing me back lol.

It's probably the nostalgia, just been playing for less than a week and I'm already hooked again. Glad to be back, many thanks!

Hey now! Don't be dissin' the masterful 8-bit music of the original games :3 I love that they were able to convey so much with so little. That trainer battle theme is iconic af <3 The simplicity of the older games were something to marvel at, but I can understand ofc that it easily gets undermined by just how advanced today's generation of video games have gotten. If you wanna participate in more discussions like this, you can go check out our Previous Generations section :)

Don't get me wrong I love BGMs, I barely listen to any music with vocals actually, some of my favorite BGMs include Minecraft Calm 1, the Portal 1 OSTs and Pokemon Red/Blue Route 12. Yes, I have been listening to the Route 12 music all these years and replaying Pokemon games did not cross my mind, up until now thay is. I actually found out that there was also a remix of Route 12 by a creator named GlitchxCity and from then on, not a day goes by that the Route 12 remix is not played in my household.

Oh man, that's actually genius lol. I might just try that if I ever replay RSE soon~ I honestly wish I had a friend who was just as into Pokemon as I was in my formative years. Trading with someone you know and trust must be an awesome feeling <3 I don't think Wonder Trades achieve that same effect, but hey that's just me :p

It was/is, the guy was a legend, we were like 13 years old and he already finished all the GBA Pokemon games, I think we also did a save exploit where he traded me all the starters, it was pretty cool. Haven't heard from him in a while though, not sure if he still plays.

Very, very same lmao. I discovered them back in 2013, which is actually what led me to create this account in the first place. My first ROM hack that I remember playing was Glazed I believe, and that sparked my love for custom made regions & stories. Fakemons are also a recent interest for me. I used to loathe them, but ever since the quality of fakemons have improved, I've grown to really like them. Oh, fan made regional variants too! Lord bless them <3

Not sure if I can share websites, but I download romhacks from a different site and Pokemon Glazed was their top rom by vote, will definitely play it too, thanks for mentioning.

I believe you already know your way around the forums since you've been playing hacks? If not, I'll just leave this link to Pokecommunity's ROM Hacks Studio hehe. Games Showcase too if you also like playing fan games (i.e. Pokemon games that aren't made via rom hacking, and are their own separate thing entirely) If you haven't played them yet, I'd recommend Pokemon Unbound, Glazed, Fire Red: Rocket Edition, and Xenoverse. My personal Top 4.

If you use Discord btw we also have an official Discord Server, where you can chat with other Pokefans and have fun!

Anyway, hope you enjoy your stay, and don't hesitate to ask questions if you have any :) Would be happy to help out. Have a good one!

Thanks again! Will definitely look forward to playing these.

Hello!

I haven't played any hacks myself, but always good to see people enjoying them =)
    So are you only playing hacks atm or also official pokemon games?

Hi there! Well, in terms of the most recent ones not really since I'm more of a PC guy. Who knows, might buy a Switch if the need for it comes along.

However, I am planning on just replaying the original versions consecutively, all the way from Pokemon Red/Blue on GBC up to Pokemon Black 2 on 3DS via emulators. Amazing where technology has gotten us today.

Also there are some terms I'm not quite familiar with like STAB and Z moves, Physical/Special Split. Is there a thread that covered these already? Would be awesome if I could go through them.

Welcome back to the world of Pokémon, Mordz. And welcome to the forums too! I can't really make any good recommendations on hacks, but I'm excited for you to get involved in many of them! PC has a pretty stellar reputation for producing great games so have fun! :)

Thanks! Looking forward to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
  • Hi there! Well, in terms of the most recent ones not really since I'm more of a PC guy. Who knows, might buy a Switch if the need for it comes along.

However, I am planning on just replaying the original versions consecutively, all the way from Pokemon Red/Blue on GBC up to Pokemon Black 2 on 3DS via emulators. Amazing where technology has gotten us today.

Also there are some terms I'm not quite familiar with like STAB and Z moves, Physical/Special Split. Is there a thread that covered these already? Would be awesome if I could go through them.

Idk if there's a thread that's got that all covered, but:

- STAB = Same Type Attack Bonus. Meaning if you're using a Fire Type Pokemon such as Typhlosion, any fire type moves it uses get a STAB Bonus because it is using a move that is the same type as the mon (both Fire type).
    - Z-Moves were the Alola games' gimmick. Mons had to hold a Z crystal (much like Mega Stones), and it would allow them to use a special Z-move once during a fight. Unlike Megas there was no transformation into a new form/stat buff.
    -As for the physical/special split: https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Damage_category

MORDZgaming

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2022
    Idk if there's a thread that's got that all covered, but:

- STAB = Same Type Attack Bonus. Meaning if you're using a Fire Type Pokemon such as Typhlosion, any fire type moves it uses get a STAB Bonus because it is using a move that is the same type as the mon (both Fire type).
    - Z-Moves were the Alola games' gimmick. Mons had to hold a Z crystal (much like Mega Stones), and it would allow them to use a special Z-move once during a fight. Unlike Megas there was no transformation into a new form/stat buff.
    -As for the physical/special split: ---

Wait, theres even a wiki for Pokemon mechanics now? Ohh God. I'll definite spend hours on this. Thanks alot!

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Wait, theres even a wiki for Pokemon mechanics now? Ohh God. I'll definite spend hours on this. Thanks alot!
    Haha yeah, bulbapedia has been around for a decade or two! Enjoy your dive ;)

Welcome to PC!

MORDZgaming

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2022
    Haha yeah, bulbapedia has been around for a decade or two! Enjoy your dive ;)

Welcome to PC!

Greetings and thank you! I am still reading through so much since I found out about it.

Back