• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help complete my team.

Xolace

✿♥✿
Years
  • Hello everyone. I'd like some help completing my team. The only Pokémon I'm not willing to remove from this team are Malamar and Espeon. I will however gladly take suggestions for both of them. While it isn't necessary to run a mega I would like to use one.

Malamar @Leftovers
    Impish 252 HP/252 DEF/4 SPE
    Contrary

Superpower
    Psycho Cut
    Topsy-Turvy
    Rock Slide

Arcanine @Lifeorb
    Adamant 252 ATT/252 SPE/4 HP
    Intimidate

Flareblitz
    ExtremeSpeed
    Wild Charge
    Close Combat

Espeon @Leftovers
    Bold 252 HP/252 DEF/4 SPE
    Magic Bounce

Calm Mind
    Psychic
    Morning Sun
    Dazzling Gleam

Dragonite @Weakness Policy
    Adamant 252 HP/252 ATT/4 SPE
    Multiscale

ExtremeSpeed
    Dragon Claw
    Dragon Dance
    Earthquake

---

These are my reserve Pokémon.

Talonflame
    Aegislash
    Excadrill
    Tyranitar
    Noivern
    Manectric
    Scizor
    Blastoise
    Charizard
    Klefki
    Togepi
    Goodra
    Gourgeist
    Gardevoir
    Whimsicott

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    With an EV spread and nature like that, its better for Espeon to run a dual screens set using Reflect, Light Screen, Baton Pass/Hidden Power, and Psychic with Light Clay as the item. Or you could breed a new one with a Timid or Modest nature and change its EVs to 252 Sp.Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP and switch Psychic with Psyshock (so it can deal with special walls).

Weakness Policy Dragonite should look like this:

-Dragonite w/Weakness Policy
    Nature: Jolly
    Ability: Multiscale
    EVs: 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP
    Moves: Dragon Dance, Dragon Claw, Extreme Speed, Fire Punch/Earthquake

With its good natural bulk and Multiscale, it doesn't really need HP investment to tank a super effective hit. The Jolly nature is so it can outspeed more stuff, because some things will still outspeed it even with 252 Speed EVs and a Dragon Dance. The lack of Speed makes you too dependent on Extreme Speed. It also has enough power to deal with stuff when you combine 252 Attack EVs with a Dance and the Weakness Policy boost.

You need a Rapid Spinner/Defogger. Arcanine and Dragonite really don't like entry hazards. Fortunately, you have 2 good ones already in reserve: Excadrill and Blastoise. Which one you wanna use is up to you. I got a couple sets for each of them for you.

-Excadrill w/Assault Vest
    Nature: Adamant
    Ability: Mold Breaker
    EVs: 240 HP, 196 Attakc, 72 Speed
    Moves: Rapid Spin, Earthquake, Rock Slide, Shadow Claw/X-Scissor

or

-Excadrill w/Air Balloon
    Moves: Earthquake, Rapid Spin, Rock Slide, Swords Dance

-Blastoise w/Leftovers
    Nature: Bold/Calm
    Ability: Torrent
    EVs: 252 HP, 252 Defense, 4 Sp.Attack
    Moves: Scald, Toxic, Rapid Spin, Ice Beam

or

-Mega Blastoise w/Blastoisinite
    Nature: Modest
    Ability: Mega Launcher
    EVs: 252 HP, 252 Sp.Attack, 4 Sp.Defense
    Moves: Rapid Spin, Aura Sphere, Dark Pulse/Dragon Pulse, Water Pulse
    Even gives you a mega too.

What goes in the last slot kinda depends on which spinner you choose. But from your list, I wouldn't use Talonflame, Tyranitar, Gardevoir, or Charizard. They're all good Pokemon, yeah, but Talonflame and Charizard add another (and rather severe) Stealth Rock Weakness to your team, while Tyraintar's Sandstorm doesn't help any of your team at all (and ruins Dragonite's Multiscale). Gardevoir's not all that needed when you have Espeon. Although you could swap Arcanine with Talonflame/Charizard if you like.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • With an EV spread and nature like that, its better for Espeon to run a dual screens set using Reflect, Light Screen, Baton Pass/Hidden Power, and Psychic with Light Clay as the item. Or you could breed a new one with a Timid or Modest nature and change its EVs to 252 Sp.Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP and switch Psychic with Psyshock (so it can deal with special walls).

Weakness Policy Dragonite should look like this:

-Dragonite w/Weakness Policy
    Ability: Multiscale
    Moves: Dragon Dance, Dragon Claw, Extreme Speed, Fire Punch/Earthquake

With its good natural bulk and Multiscale, it doesn't really need HP investment to tank a super effective hit. The Jolly nature is so it can outspeed more stuff, because some things will still outspeed it even with 252 Speed EVs and a Dragon Dance. The lack of Speed makes you too dependent on Extreme Speed. It also has enough power to deal with stuff when you combine 252 Attack EVs with a Dance and the Weakness Policy boost.

You need a Rapid Spinner/Defogger. Arcanine and Dragonite really don't like entry hazards. Fortunately, you have 2 good ones already in reserve: Excadrill and Blastoise. Which one you wanna use is up to you. I got a couple sets for each of them for you.

-Excadrill w/Assault Vest
    EVs: 240 HP, 196 Attakc, 72 Speed
    Moves: Rapid Spin, Earthquake, Rock Slide, Shadow Claw/X-Scissor

or

-Excadrill w/Air Balloon
    Moves: Earthquake, Rapid Spin, Rock Slide, Swords Dance

-Blastoise w/Leftovers
    Ability: Torrent
    EVs: 252 HP, 252 Defense, 4 Sp.Attack
    Moves: Scald, Toxic, Rapid Spin, Ice Beam

or

-Mega Blastoise w/Blastoisinite
    Ability: Mega Launcher
    EVs: 252 HP, 252 Sp.Attack, 4 Sp.Defense
    Moves: Rapid Spin, Aura Sphere, Dark Pulse/Dragon Pulse, Water Pulse
    Even gives you a mega too.

What goes in the last slot kinda depends on which spinner you choose. But from your list, I wouldn't use Talonflame, Tyranitar, Gardevoir, or Charizard. They're all good Pokemon, yeah, but Talonflame and Charizard add another (and rather severe) Stealth Rock Weakness to your team, while Tyraintar's Sandstorm doesn't help any of your team at all (and ruins Dragonite's Multiscale). Gardevoir's not all that needed when you have Espeon. Although you could swap Arcanine with Talonflame/Charizard if you like.
    Mega Blastiose is preferred over regular Blastoise. Dark Pulse is the mandatory option on it because it lets Blastiose eliminate Ghost Pokemon before it gets a Rapid Spin off. Aura Sphere and Ice Beam (which is preferred over Dragon Pulse to hit Grass Pokemon harder) should be decided upon:
    -Water Pulse/Scald/Hydro Pump
    -Dark Pulse
    -Aura Sphere/Ice Beam
    -Rapid Spin
    EVs: 252 HP/252 SAtk/4 SDef
    Item: Blastoisinite

Edit: Malamar should look like either of these. It needs all the power it can get. Topsy Turvy also takes heavy prediction to use:
    -Night Slash
    -Psycho Cut
    -Superpower
    -Rock Slide
    EVs: 192 HP/252 Atk/4 Def/60 Spe
    Item: Assault Vest
    Ability: Contrary

or
    -Rest
    -Sleep Talk
    -Night Slash
    -Superpower
    Nature: Careful
    EVs: 248 HP/8 Def/252 SDef
    Item: Leftovers

or
    -Night Slash
    -Psycho Cut
    -Superpower
    -Taunt/Rest
    EVs: 236 HP/252 Atk/20 Spe
    Item: Leftovers/Chesto Berry

Espeon is best off as a Baton Passer or all-out attacker outside of Baton Pass teams. It's meant to be a support Pokemon:
    -Reflect
    -Light Screen
    -Psychic/Psyshock
    -Hidden Power (Fire)/Dazzling Gleam/Baton Pass
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 Spe
    Item: Light Clay
    Ability: Magic Bounce

or
    -Psychic/Psyshock
    -Hidden Power (Fire/Ground)/Shadow Ball
    -Dazzling Gleam
    -Shadow Ball/Grass Knot
    EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Choice Specs/Life Orb
    Ability: Magic Bounce

Last edited:

Xolace

✿♥✿
    Years
  • @No Chance Without Zekrom

I'll try the changes to Dragonite and Espeon on Showdown later. I haven't noticed much in regards to getting outsped while running my Dragonite with HP though. As for Espeon I typically switch it in on something I know can be bounced or on a Special Attacker. I proceed with Calm Mind and Morning Sun until I'm satisfied and proceed to kill. I can see myself dropping Dazzling Gleam and adding Reflect though.

I've decided to go for Mega Blastoise and pair it up with Assault Vest Goodra. How do these six look together? Based on them do you have a different recommendation?

@PlatinumDude

I will probably not be changing my Malamar at all. I only bring it in on physical attackers and the added Defense makes him incredibly bulky. Superpower ensures I have enough damage so I really haven't needed any Attack EVs. As for Topsy-Turvy, it is an amazing utility. Scolipede, Ninjask, Azumarill, Volcarona, Aegislash and many others are easy to predict. This move can turn the tide of a battle if used correctly. Skipping Night Slash is totally worth it in my opinion.

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • @No Chance Without Zekrom

I'll try the changes to Dragonite and Espeon on Showdown later. I haven't noticed much in regards to getting outsped while running my Dragonite with HP though. As for Espeon I typically switch it in on something I know can be bounced or on a Special Attacker. I proceed with Calm Mind and Morning Sun until I'm satisfied and proceed to kill. I can see myself dropping Dazzling Gleam and adding Reflect though.

I've decided to go for Mega Blastoise and pair it up with Assault Vest Goodra. How do these six look together? Based on them do you have a different recommendation?

@PlatinumDude

I will probably not be changing my Malamar at all. I only bring it in on physical attackers and the added Defense makes him incredibly bulky. Superpower ensures I have enough damage so I really haven't needed any Attack EVs. As for Topsy-Turvy, it is an amazing utility. Scolipede, Ninjask, Azumarill, Volcarona, Aegislash and many others are easy to predict. This move can turn the tide of a battle if used correctly. Skipping Night Slash is totally worth it in my opinion.
    Impish nature isn't worth using on Malamar because Superpower already takes care of the Defense boosts. If you want a bulky boosting Malamar, use the Rest-Talk set I posted. Assault Vest also compensates for Malamar's subpar Special Defense, at the cost of leaving it only able to use offensive moves. Night Slash has excellent coverage with Superpower (except for Fairies, Toxicroak and Heracross), so it's not worth skipping out on.

Xolace

✿♥✿
    Years
  • Impish nature isn't worth using on Malamar because Superpower already takes care of the Defense boosts. If you want a bulky boosting Malamar, use the Rest-Talk set I posted. Assault Vest also compensates for Malamar's subpar Special Defense, at the cost of leaving it only able to use offensive moves. Night Slash has excellent coverage with Superpower (except for Fairies, Toxicroak and Heracross), so it's not worth skipping out on.

I have to disagree entirely. Special Attacks absolutely destroy Malamar even with investment. A Volcarona Bug Buzz OHKO's without buffs. I would rather start off tanky and build up my strength while recovering. I've been using this set for quite a while now and it works remarkably well even when I switch into an attack. The recovery is much needed considering how bulky Malamar can get. I've been able to go from 25-30% to near full health during sweeps.

I'd still much rather keep Topsy-Turvy. When I use it it forces a switch which gives me a free hit, buff and health.

Rest-Talk is unreliable as I may end up using Rest which gives my opponent a free turn.

Start off bulky, take less damage early on to keep my Malamar healthy while gaining damage. I love using this set against Garchomp. They never see it coming.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Do you need a set for Assault Vest Goodra? If you do, here it is:

-Goodra w/Assault Vest
    Ability: Gooey/Sap Sipper
    EVs: 252 HP, 252 Sp.Attack, 4 Defense
    Moves: Dragon Pulse/Draco Meteor, Flamethrower, Thunderbolt, Sludge Bomb/Focus Blast

And I wouldn't recommend switching Dazzling Gleam with Reflect unless Espeon commits to a dual screen set. Otherwise its fodder for Dark types.

Xolace

✿♥✿
    Years
  • Do you need a set for Assault Vest Goodra? If you do, here it is:

-Goodra w/Assault Vest
    Ability: Gooey/Sap Sipper
    EVs: 252 HP, 252 Sp.Attack, 4 Defense
    Moves: Dragon Pulse/Draco Meteor, Flamethrower, Thunderbolt, Sludge Bomb/Focus Blast

And I wouldn't recommend switching Dazzling Gleam with Reflect unless Espeon commits to a dual screen set. Otherwise its fodder for Dark types.

Thank you for the set. I'll definitely be using it. Ignoring my list of available Pokémon what would you replace and with what? I'm in the mood for some more breeding and I'd like to try some new Pokés. I kinda want to work Milotic and Aegislash/Mega Scizor/Mega Lucario in here.

Just bred myself a Defog Scyther. New option for hazard control which could let me completely switch my team up.

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Scizor could be really nice too. Steel is nice to have since Fairies are pretty common. You could drop Mega Blastoise or maybe Goodra to make room for it. A Defog Scizor set...maybe this?:

-(Mega) Scizor w/Scizorite or Leftovers
    Ability: Technician
    EVs: 252 HP, 252 Attack, 4 Sp.Defense
    Moves: Defog, Bullet Punch, U-Turn, Swords Dance/Pursuit

You could also throw Milotic in there if both Mega Blastoise and Goodra leave. Scizor likes having teammates that deal with Fire. Aegislash, Milotic, Scizor, and Lucario are all good Pokemon. I would only use Aegislash if you keep Mega Blastoise. So many things to pick from...you could always make a 2nd team.

Xolace

✿♥✿
    Years
  • I like the idea of Scizor and Milotic (I have a hard time using Scizor. I tend to leave it in when I really shouldn't.). I just started rebreeding Milotic for Mirror Coat too and I finished up Slowbro yesterday as well.

Scizor + Milotic
    Blastoise + Goodra/Aegislash

I should really stop breeding and just focus on finishing a single team. Hehe.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I know, its hard to stop breeding all those Pokemon when there's so many fun possibilities you wanna try out. Between the stuff waiting for the release of the PokeBank on my Black2 and the stuff I've bred and trained on my Y, I have something like 90 battle-ready Pokemon. And I wanna use 'em all. XD

Anyway, let's try not to alter the team members too much. They're all good pokes. You can make another team (and another thread) with some of the other ones you've got.

Xolace

✿♥✿
    Years
  • How right you are. I can't help myself. I sometimes force myself to try out less popular choices just so I can try to make them work.

Tyrantrum (Awesome revenge killer with a Choice Scarf.)
    Mega Ampharos (I couldn't really find much for it to excell at unfortunately.)
    Mega Manectric (It has great speed and special attack. Though its move pool is lacking.)
    Mega Pinsir (I had a blast using Mega Pinsir in combination with Thrash.)

I'll consider my team complete using either of the above two combinations.

Just tried it out. It went pretty well. :)
    Blastoise/Goodra
    https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-76266112

Scizor/Milotic
    https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-76277989

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • How right you are. I can't help myself. I sometimes force myself to try out less popular choices just so I can try to make them work.

Tyrantrum (Awesome revenge killer with a Choice Scarf.)
    Mega Ampharos (I couldn't really find much for it to excell at unfortunately.)
    Mega Manectric (It has great speed and special attack. Though its move pool is lacking.)
    Mega Pinsir (I had a blast using Mega Pinsir in combination with Thrash.)

I'll consider my team complete using either of the above two combinations.

Just tried it out. It went pretty well. :)

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-76266112

Unfortunately, Tyrantrum is outclassed by a lot of things in OU, whether being a Choice Band user, or a Dragon Dancer, because of its common weaknesses.

However, I do vouch for Mega Ampharos or Mega Pinsir for a team slot, though the latter requires Rapid Spin/Defog support to succeed.

Xolace

✿♥✿
    Years
  • Unfortunately, Tyrantrum is outclassed by a lot of things in OU, whether being a Choice Band user, or a Dragon Dancer, because of its common weaknesses.

However, I do vouch for Mega Ampharos or Mega Pinsir for a team slot, though the latter requires Rapid Spin/Defog support to succeed.

While Tyrantrum is outclassed I've still found a lot of success using it with a Choice Scarf.

Tyrantrum @Choice Scarf
    Jolly/Adamant 252 Att/252 Spe/4 HP

Thunder Fang
    Ice Fang
    Fire Fang
    Head Smash

I enjoyed using it as a revenge killer. The only reason I don't run it is because I can't capture it in my Pokéball of choice. I breed all of my Pokémon to be in Heal Balls. XD

I definitely agree with Pinsir needing Defog/Rapid Spin support though.

TheShiningStarlette

The Pikachu Master
    Years
  • Malamar @Leftovers
    Impish 252 HP/252 DEF/4 SPE
    Contrary

Superpower
    Psycho Cut
    Topsy-Turvy
    Rock Slide

Arcanine @Lifeorb
    Adamant 252 ATT/252 SPE/4 HP
    Intimidate

Flareblitz
    ExtremeSpeed
    Wild Charge
    Close Combat

Espeon @Leftovers
    Bold 252 HP/252 DEF/4 SPE
    Magic Bounce

Calm Mind
    Psychic
    Morning Sun
    Dazzling Gleam

Dragonite @Weakness Policy
    Adamant 252 HP/252 ATT/4 SPE
    Multiscale

ExtremeSpeed
    Dragon Claw
    Dragon Dance
    Earthquake

---

These are my reserve Pokémon.

Talonflame
    Aegislash
    Excadrill
    Tyranitar
    Noivern
    Manectric
    Scizor
    Blastoise
    Charizard
    Klefki
    Togepi
    Goodra
    Gourgeist
    Gardevoir
    Whimsicott

My suggestion:

Add Togepi or Blastoise

Moves for Togepi evolved to Togekiss:

Shadow Ball (taught)
    Thunder Wave (taught)
    Metronome
    Double-Edge

Moves for Blastoise:

Surf
    Brine
    (You can choose)
    (You can choose)

Add Charizard:

Moves for Charizard:

Fly
    (You can choose)
    (You can choose)
    (You can choose)

Thats the best team you can go for in my opinion, just work a bit on training ;) Hope my suggestion helps.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • While Tyrantrum is outclassed I've still found a lot of success using it with a Choice Scarf.

Tyrantrum @Choice Scarf

Thunder Fang
    Ice Fang
    Fire Fang
    Head Smash

I enjoyed using it as a revenge killer. The only reason I don't run it is because I can't capture it in my Pokéball of choice. I breed all of my Pokémon to be in Heal Balls. XD

Thunder Fang doesn't give Tyrantrum notable coverage, as Head Smash already covers what it can cover. Choice Scarf Tyrantrum should look like this:
    -Head Smash
    -Ice Fang/Dragon Claw
    -Earthquake/Fire Fang
    -Crunch
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
    Item: Choice Scarf

My suggestion:

Add Togepi or Blastoise

Moves for Togepi evolved to Togekiss:

Shadow Ball (taught)
    Thunder Wave (taught)
    Metronome
    Double-Edge

Moves for Blastoise:

Surf
    Brine
    (You can choose)
    (You can choose)

Add Charizard:

Moves for Charizard:

Fly
    (You can choose)
    (You can choose)
    (You can choose)

Thats the best team you can go for in my opinion, just work a bit on training ;) Hope my suggestion helps.
    I don't like these suggestions. Metronome is unreliable, while Double-Edge works off of Togekiss' terrible Attack. It has better utility/coverage options out there:
    -Thunder Wave/Nasty Plot
    -Air Slash
    -Roost
    -Dazzling Gleam/Aura Sphere/Defog
    EVs: 248 HP/252 Def/8 SDef (Bold) or 248 HP/8 Def/252 SDef (Calm)
    Item: Leftovers
    Ability: Serene Grace

or
    -Nasty Plot
    -Dazzling Gleam
    -Air Slash
    -Aura Sphere/Roost
    EVs: 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb
    Ability: Serene Grace

See my above Blastoise set; it's currently the best way to use Blastoise right now. Its base form isn't that good, honestly.

Charizard is highly dependent on its Mega forms to function. Like Blastoise, Charizard is only good in its Mega form, so either pick Charizard or Blastoise to put in on the team. If Xolace wants to put Charizard in, he can pick one of these:
    -Dragon Dance
    -Flare Blitz
    -Dragon Claw/Outrage
    -Earthquake/Roost
    Nature: Adamant/Jolly
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
    Item: Charizardite X
    Ability: Blaze

or
    -Fire Punch
    -Dragon Claw
    -Will-o-Wisp
    -Roost
    EVs: 248 HP/84 SDef/176 Spe
    Item: Charizardite X
    Ability: Blaze

or
    -Fire Blast
    -Solar Beam
    -Dragon Pulse/Focus Blast
    -Earthquake/Roost
    Nature: Hasty/Mild
    EVs: 4 Atk/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Charizardite Y

or
    -Fire Blast
    -Flare Blitz
    -Hidden Power (Ice)/Earthquake
    -Focus Blast
    Nature: Naughty/Naive
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Charizardite Y

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    While Tyrantrum is outclassed I've still found a lot of success using it with a Choice Scarf.

Tyrantrum @Choice Scarf

Thunder Fang
    Ice Fang
    Fire Fang
    Head Smash

I've had some success using a Dragon Dance set with my Tyrantrum:

-Tyrantrum w/Leftovers or some ****
    Ability: Strong Jaw
    Moves: Stone Edge, Earthquake, Ice Fang, Dragon Dance

I just really, really wish Rock Head would be released for it soon. The idea of a Choice Scarf Head Smash Tyrantrum gets me excited. I would use Head Smash on the set I currently have, but Head Smash's recoil damage is absolutely terrible.

Although I wonder if that's ok in Battle Spot battles since there's only 3 opposing Pokemon...

Funny thing about Heal Balls. I caught my Zekrom in a Heal Ball (but watch, it won't make it through the Bank because I fiddled with its IVs a bit, just so GF can troll me).

Xolace

✿♥✿
    Years
  • Once Rock Head becomes available I'll definitely be giving it another shot. Until then I'm good. XD

I personally can't wait for PokéBank. I need to catch a female Feebas in a darn Heal Ball. >:(

Back