• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help with new XY team

Years
    • Seen May 30, 2015
    OK, so I recently completed my National Dex in Pokemon Y. In celebration of my first National Dex completion (Besides in my Pokemon Japanese green, I got all the Pokemon in under 6 months!), I am looking for help on a new team. And I mean all the details. How the EV training should go, the moveset, the item, the ability, the nature, should it be mega, everything. I am not good with this stuff. And I would like to use at least 1 mega on my team. Thanks!

Sorry for minimal info, Here is some more:

This will be a single battling team, And I am having trouble on who the team should be based around.

A few I have come up with are:
    A Pikachu, with a high speed stat, Static, and Nuzzle, to open the battle and inflict quick paralysis
    A Charizard (Maybe mega) With Dragon Rage as a revenge Pokemon, taking out the low health sweepers, etc. Maybe I would use Greninja with Quick Attack instead
    A Florges, for our Fairy and Grass coverage (two of my favorite types, Florges is AWESOME)
    A Doublade/Aegislash in attack forme with Swords dance, Aerial ace, Shadow sneak, perhaps Slash, for a sweeper
    A Hawlucha (currently its level one, but I can train it), I don't know what i would do with it

I don't have to use all of those, just a few things I've come up with.

Last edited by a moderator:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Sorry for minimal info, Here is some more:

This will be a single battling team, And I am having trouble on who the team should be based around.

A few I have come up with are:
    A Pikachu, with a high speed stat, Static, and Nuzzle, to open the battle and inflict quick paralysis
    A Charizard (Maybe mega) With Dragon Rage as a revenge Pokemon, taking out the low health sweepers, etc. Maybe I would use Greninja with Quick Attack instead
    A Florges, for our Fairy and Grass coverage (two of my favorite types, Florges is AWESOME)
    A Doublade/Aegislash in attack forme with Swords dance, Aerial ace, Shadow sneak, perhaps Slash, for a sweeper
    A Hawlucha (currently its level one, but I can train it), I don't know what i would do with it

What format are you doing this in? Pokemon Showdown OU? Battle Spot? Friendly battles on the PSS?

If it's the former, PIkachu is badly outclassed by better Electric Pokemon like Wash Rotom and Thundurus because of its extreme frailty. Aegislash is an Uber, meaning it can't be used in standard teams.

skyburial

Orca Hype
    Years

I think with this one you should pick one of these approaches:

1. Pachirisu Effect - A defensive build that utilizes a move that will hit hard regardless of a low attack stat (Volt Tackle seems like the most obvious choice on Pika-Pi, and Counter would also make for an interesting suprise factor), Nuzzle, Protect, and another disruptive move of your choice like Sweet Kiss, Tickle, or Light Screen. Pikachu also gets Wish as an Egg move and the benefit of access to Eviolite as a held item. You can make this set work if you play it right, I'd go for an Impish or Careful nature since Pikachu likes to be run physical.
    2. Light Ball - This is an item specifically for Pikachu that makes it more offensively viable by doubling both of its attack stats. I'd go with the combo of Brick Break, Iron Tail, and Volt Tackle, personally, and leave the last slot for either Protect or Quick Attack depending on your risk appetite. Keep in mind that this set is paper frail and will be best suited to revenge killing.
    3. Pick a Different Electric Mouse - Dedenne gets access to Cheek Pouch and Recycle, which let it recover to full health continually with Sitrus Berry as a held item, and a super powerful Fairy-type STAB in Play Rough. Pachirisu gets Super Fang, which allows it to hit hard on any Pokemon at full/near full health. The others have their strengths as well. Pika's is access to Eviolite.
    I would recommend a bulky water type for your team unless you're going hyper offensive for your strategy. Gastrodon would be a good fit for the other pokes on your team.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 30, 2015
    Hmm. So neither of you like the Pikachu, huh. I like the Dedenne idea, however I am more of a fan of the Revenge Killers, Glass Cannons, Sweepers, and perhaps a Blissey, or a Cradily for a wall. Recycling the HP too much will not only get annoying for the opponent, but for me. Thundurus might be OK, but I would definitely prefer to use the Wash Rotom. One I thought of might be Electrike/Manectric, they seem to be popular.

@PlatinumDude: I will be using this team on the PSS. Too bad I cant use the Aegislash, however I will need a Steel type and Fighting, which I haven't added yet. And Mega Lucario (Which you get for free) Is also an Uber.

I could get rid of the Mega Charizard, and put in my beautiful Lv. 1 Hawlucha, and a Lv. 10 Magby, or perhaps Litleo. I would train those up. A lot better than Charizard, in my opinion, however it would take up two spaces.

Instead of the Greninja, I could put in a high-defense and Sp. Attack Slowpoke holding Kings Rock, giving me a Psychic type along the way.

The Florges is staying on the team, I don't care. Florges will be on my Alpha Sapphire as well.

Back to the Pikachu, I am willing to take a risk. I am transferring my Emolga, my LEAST favorite Pokemon, to my Pokemon Y. It is a new electric mouse. (Wow, there are so many electric rodents in the game!)

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Hmm. So neither of you like the Pikachu, huh. I like the Dedenne idea, however I am more of a fan of the Revenge Killers, Glass Cannons, Sweepers, and perhaps a Blissey, or a Cradily for a wall. Recycling the HP too much will not only get annoying for the opponent, but for me. Thundurus might be OK, but I would definitely prefer to use the Wash Rotom. One I thought of might be Electrike/Manectric, they seem to be popular.

@PlatinumDude: I will be using this team on the PSS. Too bad I cant use the Aegislash, however I will need a Steel type and Fighting, which I haven't added yet. And Mega Lucario (Which you get for free) Is also an Uber.

I could get rid of the Mega Charizard, and put in my beautiful Lv. 1 Hawlucha, and a Lv. 10 Magby, or perhaps Litleo. I would train those up. A lot better than Charizard, in my opinion, however it would take up two spaces.

Instead of the Greninja, I could put in a high-defense and Sp. Attack Slowpoke holding Kings Rock, giving me a Psychic type along the way.

The Florges is staying on the team, I don't care. Florges will be on my Alpha Sapphire as well.

Back to the Pikachu, I am willing to take a risk. I am transferring my Emolga, my LEAST favorite Pokemon, to my Pokemon Y. It is a new electric mouse. (Wow, there are so many electric rodents in the game!)
    If you don't follow Smogon rules, Aegislash is fine in friendly PSS battles:
    -Shadow Ball
    -Shadow Sneak
    -Flash Cannon/Sacred Sword
    -King's Shield
    Nature: Quiet
    EVs: 244 HP/12 Def/252 SAtk
    Item: Leftovers/Weakness Policy

or
    -Substitute
    -Toxic
    -King's Shield
    -Shadow Ball/Flash Cannon
    Nature: Modest
    EVs: 244 HP/12 Def/252 SAtk
    Item: Leftovers

or
    -Swords Dance
    -Shadow Sneak
    -Shadow Claw/Iron Head
    -Sacred Sword/Head Smash
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb

Despite Hawlucha's high Speed, it's best played as an Unburden attacker, so nothing can outspeed it after the ability activates. You only have one shot to sweep with it, though, as Unburden's Speed boost is removed if Hawlucha switches:
    -Substitute
    -Swords Dance
    -High Jump Kick
    -Acrobatics
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 8 HP/252 Atk/248 Spe
    Item: Sitrus Berry
    Ability: Unburden

I think you mean Slowbro or Slowking, as Slowpoke is their pre-evolved form:

Slowbro:
    -Scald
    -Psyshock/Fire Blast/Ice Beam/Foul Play
    -Thunder Wave/Toxic
    -Slack Off
    Nature: Bold
    EVs: 252 HP/232 Def/24 SDef
    Item: Leftovers/Rocky Helmet
    Ability: Regenerator

Slowking:
    -Scald
    -Psyshock/Fire Blast
    -Toxic/Thunder Wave/Dragon Tail
    -Slack Off
    Nature: Calm
    EVs: 248 HP/184 Def/76 SDef

or
    -Scald
    -Psyshock
    -Fire Blast
    -Ice Beam/Dragon Tail
    EVs: 248 HP/180 Def/36 SAtk/44 SDef
    Item: Assault Vest

Magmortar and Pyroar are badly outclassed by other Fire Pokemon. While Magmortar has a good move pool, it's not that fast. Pyroar's move pool is very shallow. Charizard is the better Fire Pokemon to turn to, though only in its Mega Evolved state. Having 2 Mega forms means the opponent will be forced into a guessing game on what form they'll be up against:
    -Dragon Dance
    -Flare Blitz
    -Dragon Claw
    -Earthquake/Roost
    EVs: 104 HP/220 Atk/184 Spe
    Item: Charizardite X
    Ability: Blaze

or
    -Flare Blitz
    -Dragon Claw/Earthquake
    -Will-o-Wisp
    -Roost
    Nature: Careful
    EVs: 248 HP/24 Atk/180 SDef/56 Spe

or
    -Swords Dance
    -Tailwind
    -Flare Blitz
    -Outrage
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 40 HP/252 Atk/216 Spe

or
    -Fire Blast/Flamethrower
    -Solar Beam
    -Focus Blast
    -Roost
    Nature: Timid/Modest
    EVs: 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Charizardite Y

or
    -Fire Blast/Flamethrower
    -Solar Beam/Focus Blast/Earthquake
    -Will-o-Wisp
    -Roost
    EVs: 240 HP/76 Def/176 SDef/16 Spe
    Item: Charizardite Y

Simply put, all the PIkaclones suck (except for potentially Raichu and Pachirisu in doubles) because of their mediocre base stats in general. Pachirisu and Dedenne are the worst offenders in this regard; Pachirisu has no offensive presence outside of Super Fang and Dedenne's move pool is rather pathetic; its only Fairy STAB, Play Rough, runs off of its bad Attack.

However, if you want to go the Pikachu route, your best bet is using Cosplay Pikachu (in its Belle form, as it has the best special move out of the five) with a Light Ball, but you can only use it in OR/AS:
    -Thunderbolt/Wild Charge
    -Icicle Crash
    -Knock Off
    -Volt Switch
    Nature: Naive
    EVs: 4 Atk/252 SAtk/252 Spe or 252 Atk/4 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Light Ball

Regarding Florges, is outclassed by other Fairy Pokemon like Sylveon and Clefable, as the former has more offensive presence in Pixilate Hyper Voice, while Clefable has a wider move pool to take advantage of. Florges' abilities are also useless in singles. However, if you insist:
    -Wish
    -Protect
    -Moonblast
    -Aromatherapy
    Nature: Bold/Calm
    EVs: 252 HP/232 Def/24 SDef

With Charizard on the team, Rapid Spin or Defog support is pretty much necessary. Starmie or Mandibuzz can do that for you (those are examples; too lazy to think of any more):

Starmie:
    -Hydro Pump
    -Psyshock/Ice Beam
    -Thunderbolt/Hidden Power (Fire)
    -Rapid Spin
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
    Ability: Natural Cure/Analytic

or
    -Scald
    -Psyshock/Reflect Type
    -Rapid Spin
    -Recover
    EVs: 248 HP/16 Def/240 Spe
    Ability: Natural Cure

Mandibuzz:
    -Foul Play
    -Defog
    -Roost
    -Taunt/Whirlwind
    Nature: Bold
    EVs: 248 HP/136 Def/108 SDef/16 Spe
    Ability: Overcoat

skyburial

Orca Hype
    Years

Re: Aegislash, Mega Lucario, Greninja. You can, and should, use all 3 of these on the PSS. PlatinumDude is referring to Smogon rules on Pokemon Showdown, which is his own preferred format. If you really like Grass/Fairy coverage, might I recommend Gardevoir instead? She gets access to Energy Ball and has more of an offensive presence. That coverage will be walled by both Fire and Steel Types though, and 4X resisted by the Fire/Steel type Heatran.

Considering what you want to run, you might try Physical Aegislash with a Life Orb, Sacred Sword, Shadow Sneak, Iron Head and the mandatory King's Shield. That will also cover what you want out of a priority user.

I didn't say I dislike the Pikachu idea, I just don't think that Nuzzle is a move best suited to revenge killing sets. Typically it implies that you want the Pokemon to stick around for a while, and its damage output tends to be negligible.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Re: Aegislash, Mega Lucario, Greninja. You can, and should, use all 3 of these on the PSS. PlatinumDude is referring to Smogon rules on Pokemon Showdown, which is his own preferred format. If you really like Grass/Fairy coverage, might I recommend Gardevoir instead? She gets access to Energy Ball and has more of an offensive presence. That coverage will be walled by both Fire and Steel Types though, and 4X resisted by the Fire/Steel type Heatran.

Considering what you want to run, you might try Physical Aegislash with a Life Orb, Sacred Sword, Shadow Sneak, Iron Head and the mandatory King's Shield. That will also cover what you want out of a priority user.

I didn't say I dislike the Pikachu idea, I just don't think that Nuzzle is a move best suited to revenge killing sets. Typically it implies that you want the Pokemon to stick around for a while, and its damage output tends to be negligible.
    Special Aegislash is better because Shadow Ball has more power than Shadow Claw, plus it's less susceptible to burns.

Gardevoir has little use for Energy Ball, as Moonblast and Pixilated Hyper Voices already hit Grass-weak Pokemon hard enough. Also, Fairy/Grass has bad coverage.

If you want to use Greninja, this is the best way to do it:
    -Hydro Pump/Low Kick
    -Ice Beam
    -Gunk Shot
    -Dark Pulse/Hidden Power (Fire)/Grass Knot
    Nature: Naive
    EVs: 40 Atk/216 SAtk/252 Spe
    Ability: Protean

Mega Lucario can viably run both physical and special sets:
    -Nasty Plot
    -Aura Sphere/Focus Blast
    -Flash Cannon
    -Psychic/Shadow Ball/Dark Pulse/Vacuum Wave
    EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
    Item: Lucarionite
    Ability: Inner Focus/Steadfast

or
    -Close Combat
    -Iron Tail
    -Bullet Punch/Extreme Speed
    -Swords Dance/Stone Edge/Crunch/Shadow Claw
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 SDef/252 Spe
    Item: Lucarionite

skyburial

Orca Hype
    Years
    Special Aegislash is better because Shadow Ball has more power than Shadow Claw, plus it's less susceptible to burns.

Subjective. Physical Aegislash gets access to priority and Sacred Sword makes for an excellent coverage move. You also mentioned the same set, but congratulations for typing faster bro.

Gardevoir has little use for Energy Ball, as Moonblast and Pixilated Hyper Voices already hit Grass-weak Pokemon hard enough. Also, Fairy/Grass has bad coverage.
    Covered this already, refer to post.

OP, if you decide to go with Special Aegislash and still want a priority user, I'd recommend running a Mixed Greninja with Life Orb:

Greninja @ Life Orb
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Naive Nature
    - Water Shuriken
    - Ice Beam
    - Dark Pulse
    - Rock Slide/Grass Knot

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Subjective. Physical Aegislash gets access to priority and Sacred Sword makes for an excellent coverage move. You also mentioned the same set, but congratulations for typing faster bro.

Covered this already, refer to post.

OP, if you decide to go with Special Aegislash and still want a priority user, I'd recommend running a Mixed Greninja with Life Orb:

Greninja @ Life Orb
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Naive Nature
    - Water Shuriken
    - Ice Beam
    - Dark Pulse
    - Rock Slide/Grass Knot
    Special Aegislash can also viably run Shadow Sneak, though it won't be as strong; it's mainly used for picking off weakened targets. It's also not that subjective because Special Aegislash is the tried-and-true method of using it.

Mixed Greninja needs Gunk Shot to break through Fairies, something your current set fails to do. Low Kick is also an option to hit Heatran and Tyranitar more reliably. See my above set.

skyburial

Orca Hype
    Years
    Special Aegislash can also viably run Shadow Sneak, though it won't be as strong; it's mainly used for picking off weakened targets. It's also not that subjective because Special Aegislash is the tried-and-true method of using it.

Nope, top-level players do both, Special Aegislash is just more common. Physical Aegislash may take Intimidate and have no protection against Will-O-Wisp, but Aegislash is also not going to live against most things that run Will-O and Intimidate (Scrafty, Arcanine, Lando-T, Zards, Mega Gengar Mega Gyarados and Mega Salamence come to mind). It hits Sylveon, Altaria, and Mega Gard harder than Flash Cannon, though.

Mixed Greninja needs Gunk Shot to break through Fairies, something your current set fails to do. Low Kick is also an option to hit Heatran and Tyranitar more reliably. See my above set.

We're making recs for an X/Y team right? ;) I slashed it in originally but scratched it out when I remembered the OP.

Let's stop jousting in team help threads, it's cute but not very helpful.

We can chat via VM or battle on cartridge any time you want.

Polar Spectrum

I'm still here; watching. Waiting.
    Years
    you won't get that battle lol just sayin' -

OP - Pikachu can be used; they've already covered that - Charizard is super viable, in either mega. By itself, nnnnnot so much, but you can still use it if you know what yer' doin'. I probably wouldn't use Dragon Rage on it though hahah. That does 40 HP regardless, and those kindsa moves are best for things that don't have offensive stats or investments, so they need the reliable damage. Charizard could do that and more with just a regular ol' attack. Greninja's got some neat tricks with protean. Water Shuriken might be nicer than quick attack if you want priority though.

Also, just in case you had the misconception, I don't know if anyone else pointed this out above amidst all the set copypasting, but Florges isn't actually Fairy/Grass. It does learn petal dance, but it's pure fairy type. If you DID want fairy grass, Whimsicott is your poke. ^^ Florges is still a beast though; and you can do a bunch with it if that's the mon you prefer. Aegislash is totally allowed on PSS, don't worry - and doblade can function well with eviolite too. It gets insane physical bulk with eviolite, which can be used tactfully with swords dance. I wouldn't use Slash on it though :P

Hawluch has options too; it can get a few support moves and a nice array of attacks. Good stabs and stuff.

Back