• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Help workshop] Map help thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

theschmizz393

Cleffas will rule!
Years
  • So, my grass tiles look fine on Advance Map, but they look bad in the game (shown in the spoiler). I don't know if this is an animation problem or what, but if somebody could tell me how to remedy this, that would be great.

Spoiler:

ดูดดื่ม

Hello! Im from Thailand.
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2011
    So, my grass tiles look fine on Advance Map, but they look bad in the game (shown in the spoiler). I don't know if this is an animation problem or what, but if somebody could tell me how to remedy this, that would be great.

Spoiler:

u must edit color,hex search and use APE.

Years
  • I'm using Advance Map, and I was wondering if there's a quicker way to put in large objects such as trees or houses. I'm trying to redo Viridian Forest, and so far, it's taking forever. Is there a faster way to put in those big trees?

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
    Years
  • I'm using Advance Map, and I was wondering if there's a quicker way to put in large objects such as trees or houses. I'm trying to redo Viridian Forest, and so far, it's taking forever. Is there a faster way to put in those big trees?
    Because each map is constructed this way: byte 1 matches for the first block in upper left corner, byte 2 for the block next to it (upper left corner + 1 to the right) etc. till the end of the upper line and 2nd line begins after the block in upper right corner, it's practically impossible to make an editor which could support adding more than 1 block at the same time.

In other words, you can't.

Equin

Got it memorized?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2010
    Because each map is constructed this way: byte 1 matches for the first block in upper left corner, byte 2 for the block next to it (upper left corner + 1 to the right) etc. till the end of the upper line and 2nd line begins after the block in upper right corner, it's practically impossible to make an editor which could support adding more than 1 block at the same time.

In other words, you can't.
    I think he meant a quicker way to map.

Let's see, you can right-click a tile and, while holding Ctrl (or Shift, I can't remember correctly, but it's probably Ctrl), hover your mouse over more tiles. In your case, trees/houses. This creates a 'grosser block', which is many tiles selected by this utility. Here are some things to note:

• Since you can only left-click over a single tile, the grosser block will transfer all tiles starting on the tep left tile of it. For example, if it's a tree that has 4 tile blocks, when you select a place for it, the one tile you selected will take the top left tile of the grosser block, and the rest of the tiles will follow accordingly.
    • Making grosser blocks with tiles already existing on a map-and not out of tiles from the tileset on the right-also transfers their movement permissions. For example, if you copy a Pokemon Center from Viridian and place it on another map, it will have the exact C/1 permissions that the original one has. If you copy an existing patch of normal grass, it will all be C (passable).
    • Grosser blocks do not disappear if you switch between maps, but they disappear if you right-click a new tile or grosser block.
    • Something concerning your map easthetics: Careful which trees you copy, because it is a common mistake when using grosser blocks, that the trees have incorrect shading, and that's because you copied the wrong tree from the tileset.

I hope I made myself comprehensible, and happy mapping to you!

Years
    • Seen May 16, 2014
    Tile ERRORS

So I'm making a map, with new tiles and this happens.

Lots of tile errors, and I can't fix them. They're just outside the editing range in Advance Map. I've tired everything I know but its to no avail. Can someone please tell me how I can fix this.

Also, if anyone was wondering(or if it could be part of the porblem)the tiles are Zel's Shiny Gold tiles. This might sound like a "noobish" thing to ask for help on, and well, I think it is too. Lol. I'm at my wit's end though, so help. Yeah?

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
    Years
  • So I'm making a map, with new tiles and this happens.

Lots of tile errors, and I can't fix them. They're just outside the editing range in Advance Map. I've tired everything I know but its to no avail. Can someone please tell me how I can fix this.

Also, if anyone was wondering(or if it could be part of the porblem)the tiles are Zel's Shiny Gold tiles. This might sound like a "noobish" thing to ask for help on, and well, I think it is too. Lol. I'm at my wit's end though, so help. Yeah?

That would be because you haven't put any thought into your border block. Have a look at the small 2x2 square above the blocks you constructed the map with. Change those to anything you want (although I suspect you'll be wanting trees) and the 'random' blocks will be changed to them.

Years
    • Seen Dec 12, 2020
    Sorry for asking I suppose this question has come lots of times but I don't know how to delete a map?

So, my grass tiles look fine on Advance Map, but they look bad in the game (shown in the spoiler). I don't know if this is an animation problem or what, but if somebody could tell me how to remedy this, that would be great.

Spoiler:

Show us what it looks like in A-map

Last edited:

pkmntrainerpaul

New account: P-Sign
    Years
  • I made a warp in Fire Red, but when I step on it, the screen goes black.
    Can someone help me on this?
    I really need help, because I need to have this fixed before the Beta release of my hack at 12/31.

Washibon

---
    Years
    • Seen May 13, 2011
    Hey guys, I was having trouble with my hack so my friend told me to ask here. Nice to meet you all!

I have a question;

I followed a tutorial on Youtube on putting custom tiles into your map, and it worked in Advance Map. So I went to try the rom, but as soon as I left the house, all the blocks I put in were neon pink. ;A;
    I'd be really grateful if you could let me know what I'm doing wrong! Thank-You!

Pokemonguy1990

Pokemon Shoto Saga Creator
    Years
  • I made a warp in Fire Red, but when I step on it, the screen goes black.
    Can someone help me on this?
    I really need help, because I need to have this fixed before the Beta release of my hack at 12/31.

I'm having the same issue, also in fire red. I have a warp set to enter a gate house connecting two routes. but when i enter the screen goes black.

Bolens

Soul Hacker
    Years
    • Age 30
    • PA
    • Seen Aug 22, 2016
    I'm having the same issue, also in fire red. I have a warp set to enter a gate house connecting two routes. but when i enter the screen goes black.

Now from personal experience when I had this happen, I just deleted the warps, then made new ones to a different place on the map. Like where it would originally warp to, I moved it over 1 to the left/right/up/down. Then it seemed to work, weird huh.

Hey guys, I was having trouble with my hack so my friend told me to ask here. Nice to meet you all!

I have a question;

I followed a tutorial on Youtube on putting custom tiles into your map, and it worked in Advance Map. So I went to try the rom, but as soon as I left the house, all the blocks I put in were neon pink. ;A;
    I'd be really grateful if you could let me know what I'm doing wrong! Thank-You!

Sounds like it was the way they were inserted. I would use Cello's tutorial on Tile Insertion in the tutorials section. It seems to be the best, or at least for me anyways.

Last edited:

Washibon

---
    Years
    • Seen May 13, 2011
    Thank-You for the advice, I followed a different tutorial.. But now A-Map won't let me select the tiles properly.. When I select a tile to replace, A-Map replaces a completely different tile which I don't want to erase. Is this a glitch or something?
    I select a free black tile, and A-Map replaces a tile way above it. ;3;

Bolens

Soul Hacker
    Years
    • Age 30
    • PA
    • Seen Aug 22, 2016
    Thank-You for the advice, I followed a different tutorial.. But now A-Map won't let me select the tiles properly.. When I select a tile to replace, A-Map replaces a completely different tile which I don't want to erase. Is this a glitch or something?
    I select a free black tile, and A-Map replaces a tile way above it. ;3;

Yeah that happens to me sometimes to, you just have to try to select a different black area, try till you get results, good luck.

Dylanimus

as seen on YouTube
    Years
  • Grass patches

How do I edit the grass patches from when you step on them? I really don't know how I can edit that.

Years
  • You guys are talking about when you're editing tiles in A-Map, and the tiles on the left get all squeezed up with a large black area at the bottom, right? This is easily 'fixed', just click 'Load New Blocks' under the first menu (I can't check at the moment). The tiles return to normal and you can resume editing them properly, instead of blindly clicking black areas.

adhdguitar

Newbie Pokémon Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2015
    This question is more of an opinionated one, but how should I go about making a new map. I have this lazy habit of not wanting to completely wipe the map clean, since I hate making all those dang trees from scratch. >.< But anyway, I just can't seem to come up with a good map. How should I go about planning it out?

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    This question is more of an opinionated one, but how should I go about making a new map. I have this lazy habit of not wanting to completely wipe the map clean, since I hate making all those dang trees from scratch. >.< But anyway, I just can't seem to come up with a good map. How should I go about planning it out?

Well, I usually end up daydreaming places that I could have in my hack. I can kind of scribble the general shape of mountains and water on a piece of paper, and then I clean off a map and try to follow the general idea of my plotting. If I'm forced to come up with an idea for a route or something on the spot, I take some kind of tile (whether it's a water or a mountain tile) and just kind of drag it across the screen, as if those were the outlines of my river/lake/mountain whatever. After that, you clean it up, and then there's an outline for you to go off of. And if it didn't work, I clean off the map again and try again. If you can't get it at all, I'd advise taking a little break and coming back to it later. Sometimes, time away helps provide ideas or insight.

On the trees: you know that you can hit CTRL and right click (drag, actually) to highlight a bunch of tiles? You can basically copy and paste trees in this manner, and it's significantly easier to do trees.

adhdguitar

Newbie Pokémon Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2015
    Well, I usually end up daydreaming places that I could have in my hack. I can kind of scribble the general shape of mountains and water on a piece of paper, and then I clean off a map and try to follow the general idea of my plotting. If I'm forced to come up with an idea for a route or something on the spot, I take some kind of tile (whether it's a water or a mountain tile) and just kind of drag it across the screen, as if those were the outlines of my river/lake/mountain whatever. After that, you clean it up, and then there's an outline for you to go off of. And if it didn't work, I clean off the map again and try again. If you can't get it at all, I'd advise taking a little break and coming back to it later. Sometimes, time away helps provide ideas or insight.
    Thanks a bunch. I think that outlining thing will really help come up with a basic idea without getting overwhelmed with the boring parts.

On the trees: you know that you can hit CTRL and right click (drag, actually) to highlight a bunch of tiles? You can basically copy and paste trees in this manner, and it's significantly easier to do trees.
    *Facepalm* I can't believe I didn't notice that in the instructions. Anyway, thank you so much for telling me this, this will save me a ton of time.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    How does one make a warp work when it's something like this:

(It's really small. So... no spoiler tags?)

How should I position the warp and what other things should I take care of?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back