• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Showcase] Here's the Thing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crunch Punch

fire > ice
Years
Those cupcakes are beautiful.

Your second pixel art spoiler is amazing! I could definitely see that in a game somewhere, it's very convincing. Really good showcase, everything looks top notch.

Years
Wow, I really really enjoy your style! :> the eyes, the round and soft faces ... thumbs up! I'm looking forward to seeing more from you

And those cakes ... oh my! They definitely fall under the category of "kind of too pretty to eat" ... though I'm sure they taste amazing haha

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
Years
I really like your digital illustrations of those princesses. The one little thing that bothers me is the nose; I'd try and perhaps scale it down a little, or perhaps just change the shape slightly. But it's by no means bad. Your pixel art is also cool, though I've not much to say on it really, other than it's great :P

But your cupcakes... They make me hungry, and at the same time I don't think I could bring myself to eat one. They look so good, I'd just want to look at it. I love how each swirl of icing is so defined and looks like it has a purpose. You've got a really good hand there for that.

You've got some lovely stuff here :)

Years
Those cupcakes are beautiful.

Your second pixel art spoiler is amazing! I could definitely see that in a game somewhere, it's very convincing. Really good showcase, everything looks top notch.

Thanks! Haha, I'm happy you think that about my little rework. When I think pixel art I always try and think about game assets. I want to make more 100% original ones, even if it's just small items.

Wow, I really really enjoy your style! :> the eyes, the round and soft faces ... thumbs up! I'm looking forward to seeing more from you

And those cakes ... oh my! They definitely fall under the category of "kind of too pretty to eat" ... though I'm sure they taste amazing haha

They're mini cupcakes by the way! I made them for a party and so many were left over because I just made too many!! I actually don't like eating a ton of cake or so much icing, just making it pretty.
Thanks for the compliment!

I really like your digital illustrations of those princesses. The one little thing that bothers me is the nose; I'd try and perhaps scale it down a little, or perhaps just change the shape slightly. But it's by no means bad. Your pixel art is also cool, though I've not much to say on it really, other than it's great :P

But your cupcakes... They make me hungry, and at the same time I don't think I could bring myself to eat one. They look so good, I'd just want to look at it. I love how each swirl of icing is so defined and looks like it has a purpose. You've got a really good hand there for that.

You've got some lovely stuff here :)

Thank you!
You would be right in that my nose game is...not that great. I don't fuss over the shape too much and it ends up looking like a blob, so I should pay more attention to it!

A lot of cornstarch (or powdered sugar if you want an overload) is what makes the icing so defined. That and months of practice at my job, haha! It looked so easy when I started, but getting the right squeeze pressure takes just a little to learn...

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Dec 23, 2022
Daaaaaaaaang this is a good gallery. Love the cupcakes :D
I think your noses are awesome; finally someone who agrees on their appropriate size xd

Can't wait to see more!

Years
Daaaaaaaaang this is a good gallery. Love the cupcakes :D
I think your noses are awesome; finally someone who agrees on their appropriate size xd

Can't wait to see more!

Thank a lot! Well, I mean there are many types of noses of many different sizes, so it wouldn't hurt to vary the shapes and sizes!

Anyways, here's a quick hour coloring for a pencil sketch I scanned in a few days ago. I grabbed a color pallet and rolled with it.

-snip-

Last edited:

Kotone

someone needed a doctor?
Years
oh i love the variety of art work! that's really cool you have a degree in illustration. i was working towards a graphic design degree before i switched my degrees. it was cool seeing the photography of the cupcakes. they're so cute and look delicious! i really like the little illustrations of the flowers (the ones in the white square boxes.) i feel like that's something you would put on a simple thank you card. i like how you have an outline around them and then have a watercolor texture to color them. i really like your pixel artwork especially of the one in the above post. i wouldn't use the one with the black outline. i never like black outlines they just don't look natural to me. i would just do a darker outline of the gray like you were doing in the first one you posted. anyways, i really love all of your work and i hope you keep posting.

Years
oh i love the variety of art work! that's really cool you have a degree in illustration. i was working towards a graphic design degree before i switched my degrees. it was cool seeing the photography of the cupcakes. they're so cute and look delicious! i really like the little illustrations of the flowers (the ones in the white square boxes.) i feel like that's something you would put on a simple thank you card. i like how you have an outline around them and then have a watercolor texture to color them. i really like your pixel artwork especially of the one in the above post. i wouldn't use the one with the black outline. i never like black outlines they just don't look natural to me. i would just do a darker outline of the gray like you were doing in the first one you posted. anyways, i really love all of your work and i hope you keep posting.

I had good graphic design friends in college, it's so great to see their different work. What degree did you switch to?

Haha, the flowering of the berries actually is watercolor, but I did add an additional watercolor texture to their portfolio setup. That's something that I go back and forth in, drawing and coloring digitally, then doing traditional sketches and coloring digitally, then doing full traditional drawing and watercolors, then shuffle it again! It depends on my time and space I have setup. (My art desk isn't clean and it's faster to color digitally atm.)

Thanks for the input on the outline! I agree I'm not too sure on the black outline. I think maybe I would make the grey outline just a smidge darker, but I like that kind of outline better.

Your cupcakes are beautiful. Like above, it makes me not want to eat it and actually post on instagram for once haha.

My favourite has to be the watercolor berry bushes! It's so simple yet I can't seem to look away for a while. <3 Also the princesses, especially the star one. The shading is so nice and the colors you chose just work well together. :3

I can't wait to see more from you~

Yeah, I need to get back into some watercolor again! It's been awhile, and it's fun to mix colors that way!

----

So a small update-ish? I didn't have time to do anything today, had to get my car fixed and do laundry for work tomorrow.

I played around with trying to animate something yesterday in photoshop. I used assets from Final Fantasy: Tactics Advance, I didn't change anything so it's not like it's part of my showcase, I just wanted to talk about it.
I think it's kind of a proof of concept of what I would like to do, make small transparent scenes. If I have time I want to try my hand at making plants and maps in the same style of this game, as it's one that has inspired me a lot. Though I'm not so good at the animation part.

Spoiler:

Years
Oh wow I really like those!
The colouring looks really nice :> I like how you added so much structure and details to the surfaces, it makes them look solid and vivid

By the way, have you tried using different weights for your outlines? Make some parts thicker than others, play around with it a little bit :> It's not for everybody, of course, but you might enjoy it!

Years
  • Age 33
  • she / they
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
!!

Oh man those Deku Babas are like, way more expressive than I've ever imagined them being. I didn't know those things were even able to be drawn in a way that makes them express some kind of emotion other than 'eat nao', if that makes any sense?? Like wow my entire perspective of those enemies has been changed lol.

Circuit

Years
I love the sketched version of those Deku Babas. I don't know why, but your pencil work is just nice. Lmao. I don't even know where that sentence was going but you get the idea.

Anyway, I think you should do more sketches and put them here, especially WIPs. I'd like to see your though process during a piece. I also agree with what Queenie said about thickening some of your lines, and emphasising parts. Could make a really dynamic piece. :)

Circuit

Years
I really like these sketches for the avatars you made. This one in particular. The whole thing looks really nice. This one I find the face bugs me a little. I think the definition in her face is a tad lacking. The cheek on the left side and her chin are just a little too round in my opinion. I think defining the contours of their faces a little would go a long way.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back