• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen HG and SS a let down?

Rasguño

Arcane Master
Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2010
    I think HG/SS are the best games so far, but then, credit must be given to GS as they were the original.

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    HGSS was made perfectly. I don't see how it is worse than Platinum. Especially the Arceus event. I am very happy with the developers' work, we're just missing GB Glasses. Heh.

Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2023
    Yes, it was definitely a let down. I remember when I was playing through Platinum, it had this strange epic feel to it. I was disappointed that HeartGold lacked that. And the levels are way too low in HeartGold, because they were too lazy to fix the problem where you could battle the 5th, 6th, and 7th Gym Leader in almost any order you want. And the Johto dex is extremely messy and horribly laid out, WHY ARE THERE SO MANY KANTO POKEMON. And the level progression is terrible. First of all, Whitney is only 2 levels higher than Bugsy, Chuck, Jasmine, and Pryce all have basically the same levels, meaning no level progression at all, ROUTE 43 HAS POKEMON AT LV15, ARE YOU SERIOUS, in the E4 rematch teams, Lance's Pokemon are +12 levels higher than Karen's, and Koga, Bruno and Karen have no level progression at all (they all top out at Lv64, while Lance jumps to a whopping Lv75)... THERE'S NO VS. SEEKER, AND THE PHONE REMATCH SYSTEM IS HORRIBLE

Overall, I think HG/SS is a mess. Platinum is not.

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    I agree that the VS. Seeker was the best item in the game (screw the bike!) but I felt Platinum was a worse letdown than this. Besides, did you see the wind? The moving grass? The intro pictures?

Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2023
    I agree that the VS. Seeker was the best item in the game (screw the bike!) but I felt Platinum was a worse letdown than this. Besides, did you see the wind? The moving grass? The intro pictures?
    The wind? The moving grass? The intro pictures? The low levels? The weird Pokedex? All the Kanto Pokemon? The tiny region? The empty plot-less secondary region? All the Johto Pokem- oh wait. There's hardly any.

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    The wind? The moving grass? The intro pictures? The low levels? The weird Pokedex? All the Kanto Pokemon? The tiny region? The empty plot-less secondary region? All the Johto Pokem- oh wait. There's hardly any.

Okay, I understood your sarcasm after the pictures. It's still a good game, I'm staying at that. I just need a new DS. I broke it.

Years
  • There were a few things I didn't like about HGSS. Don't get me wrong, it was a very great game, but some things I didn't like.

1-Pokemon are seriously underleveled. That's why I traded over from D/P/Pt to get pokemon that get boosted exp, and by the time the E4 came my pokemon were all lv45. But I didn't like high leveled bosses, and no where to train. The highest leveled pokemon were at Mt. Silver at lv45. And that was at the end of the game.

2-Kanto was a mess. The towns were right next to each other, with little trainers. There was no storyline in kanto, no team rocket, it was just..plain. And the pokemon there were like LV7, which is ridiculous compared to D/P/Pt's battle zone.

3-This is minor, but I hated flying from kanto to johto. Why do I have to stop at victory road to fly to the different regions?

I would use platinum if it wasn't for the touch screen enhancements, graphics update, and the pokemon that follow you. The pokedex and bag also look much better.

Years
  • hg/ss all the way. the johto games are the best of them all. period. and they did an awesome job with the remake of it. my fav :)

I never tried platinum though so I can't compare. I didn't want to try platinum 'cause diamond was such a fail. everyone agrees with me though and says platinum was way better so I might get the rom and try it

Years
  • I haven't played Platinum yet, but HG/SS are everything I hoped they would be, and more. (Read: They changed Kanto so it's not boring anymore)

Years
    • Seen Oct 19, 2010
    It all depends, If you were around for Gold and Silver then HGSS was amazing, if not then it seemed kinda blah

KyleSir

Life is just a dream
    Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2016
    I disagree, i was around for gold and silver and gold is still one of my favorites. Heart gold and soul silver were horrible remakes. It had such a huge hype leading up to it and it was just a big let down. They took out all the nostalgic parts and a lot of things just seemed forced. For example, Mt. Silver, you climb all the way up there battle red, hes got no unique music like before, no battle strategy he just fights you with high levels and when you beat him it ends.

Take the characters:
    1. In gsc, the main character had a devilish grin, tree trunk legs, a cool watch, and a backpack. Now he has a smile with dimples, hes wearing capris, and he has a purse.
    2. In Crystal, the Girl character had blue hair, a cool hat, unique appearance, actually looked like a trainer. In HGSS she has some rediculous hat, overalls, and a bag that looks like it holds a sleeping bag.

The game play. They messed up Kanto horribly. I cant even describe how bad it was. Levels. You beat jhoto and get to level 40. Then they expect you to get to 60's by fighting maybe ten trainers in all? rubbish.

empty streets

Ace trainer ★
    Years
  • I liked both SS and Diamond that I have. I wish I had Platinum though, but Soul Silver is currently my favorite pokemon game. Mostly because you can interact with your partner pokemon <3

Lightey

The Night Owl
    Years
    • Seen Feb 28, 2016
    No! HG/SS is already better than B/W, just because Pokemon can follow you.

Volumknappen

Legendary Pokenoob
    Years
  • Yes, it was definitely a let down. I remember when I was playing through Platinum, it had this strange epic feel to it. I was disappointed that HeartGold lacked that. And the levels are way too low in HeartGold, because they were too lazy to fix the problem where you could battle the 5th, 6th, and 7th Gym Leader in almost any order you want. And the Johto dex is extremely messy and horribly laid out, WHY ARE THERE SO MANY KANTO POKEMON. And the level progression is terrible. First of all, Whitney is only 2 levels higher than Bugsy, Chuck, Jasmine, and Pryce all have basically the same levels, meaning no level progression at all, ROUTE 43 HAS POKEMON AT LV15, ARE YOU SERIOUS, in the E4 rematch teams, Lance's Pokemon are +12 levels higher than Karen's, and Koga, Bruno and Karen have no level progression at all (they all top out at Lv64, while Lance jumps to a whopping Lv75)... THERE'S NO VS. SEEKER, AND THE PHONE REMATCH SYSTEM IS HORRIBLE

Overall, I think HG/SS is a mess. Platinum is not.

Haven't thought about like that. I played SS before Platinum, and i thought the level in Platinum were to high. =p But must agree with you Chaos Rush.

M4

Freedom of teh speech!!!!!!!!!
    Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2013
    Platinum was a lot more fun until I beaten the League. HGSS was a lot longer and could had more 'team rocket' even if it was a remake.

Back