• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

HG/SS Help Thread

Zelos Wilder

Ladys Man
    Years
    Well, you can always get Munchlax from your Pokéwalker, assuming you have and use one. The Winner's Path event route currently being distributed has a Selfdestruct Munchlax, although it rarely appears. But if you're saying you'll only have 2 Pokémon the whole game, I'm guessing you're playing under some special rules

Not playing under any special rules really. I'm just really picky with the type of pokemon i use. I just beat the steal user gym leader, but what i fear the most is going into fight the E4 with just 2 pokemon. By any chance do you have a Munchlax that's a male that you don't need? I just bought the game today so i can't say i have the best pokemon to trade with you =/ I'm going to bed now, if you can do me that favor send me a Pm cause I'm going to bed.

NatureKeeper

Hello. If I trade a Giratina over from DPPt, and go to the move relearner, will it be able to relearn Shadow Sneak? Please test it before you answer.

Years
    Does anybody know whether it's possible to breed moves onto Gallade? (Ralts initially to be evolved into Gallade)

If I remember correctly it is the male pokemon that passes moves down, I want a Gallade who knows Will-o-wisp but the only way to get it onto his moveset is through breeding, yet Gallade is only ever Male.

Is it possible to breed the move onto a female ralts and then breed it with a ditto or male ralts to pass it down to a male Ralts so I can get a Gallade with Will-o-wisp?

Thanks for any help

Peccadillo

p h a n t o m
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2011
    Hello. If I trade a Giratina over from DPPt, and go to the move relearner, will it be able to relearn Shadow Sneak? Please test it before you answer.
    Trade Giratina over to HGSS, yes, theoretically it must be able to relearn Shadow Sneak. I tried similar methods before...

where can i get heart gold that wont freeze on no$gba? please help
    Try Youtube or Google, as you cannot ask for rom help here.

Does anybody know whether it's possible to breed moves onto Gallade? (Ralts initially to be evolved into Gallade)

If I remember correctly it is the male pokemon that passes moves down, I want a Gallade who knows Will-o-wisp but the only way to get it onto his moveset is through breeding, yet Gallade is only ever Male.

Is it possible to breed the move onto a female ralts and then breed it with a ditto or male ralts to pass it down to a male Ralts so I can get a Gallade with Will-o-wisp?

Thanks for any help
    Breed a male Banette/Dusclops with Will-o-wisp with a female Ralts. Hatch a male offspring, which will have the egg move.

Males pass on egg moves.

Zelos Wilder

Ladys Man
    Years
    Question guys, i just caught the shining Gyarados and i want to know is it wroth training it? Asking because i really need some more pokemon, only have 2 at the moment.

Kon~

Follow your dream to the end ~
    Years
    Question guys, i just caught the shining Gyarados and i want to know is it wroth training it? Asking because i really need some more pokemon, only have 2 at the moment.

It's always open to your own preference. Gyarados is a strong Water/Flying type, a good physical attacker, and a decent addition to any team. All you'd have to watch out for is the fact that a Gyarados trained from a lower level will statistically be stronger even if it is at the same level as yours, and that Gyarados has that nasty x4 weakness to Electric.

It's all up to you. :)

Zelos Wilder

Ladys Man
    Years
    It's always open to your own preference. Gyarados is a strong Water/Flying type, a good physical attacker, and a decent addition to any team. All you'd have to watch out for is the fact that a Gyarados trained from a lower level will statistically be stronger even if it is at the same level as yours, and that Gyarados has that nasty x4 weakness to Electric.

It's all up to you. :)
    Damn x4 weakness to Electric type attacks!?!? Hmm i rather get one later on and train it the hard way. Got another question, I want to Ev train my Typhlosion later on in the game when i beat it and such. Now what i want to know is, by the time that i beat the game his going to be around the 60's. I would have to take the berry's that lower my stat and then start the Ev training, so lets say i want defense ev's I'm going to have to be fighting a ton of Geodudes, now there going to be giving me like +1 to defense each time i kill one. Meaning if i kill 510 Geodudes and i don't level will i still have all those Ev points?

Years
    • Seen Mar 23, 2011
    Damn x4 weakness to Electric type attacks!?!? Hmm i rather get one later on and train it the hard way. Got another question, I want to Ev train my Typhlosion later on in the game when i beat it and such. Now what i want to know is, by the time that i beat the game his going to be around the 60's. I would have to take the berry's that lower my stat and then start the Ev training, so lets say i want defense ev's I'm going to have to be fighting a ton of Geodudes, now there going to be giving me like +1 to defense each time i kill one. Meaning if i kill 510 Geodudes and i don't level will i still have all those Ev points?

You can get a max of 255 EVs in any one stat, with a max of 252 EVs making a difference. If you faint a bunch of exp-yielding Pokemon without levelling up, you have the EV points, but the stat changes don't happen until you level up.

Alexeon

← from acrøss T·I·M·E ☆
    Years

Confused by what you mean there, but if you use the EV-reducing berries, you will be able to get all the Def. EVs you want. 510 is the max amount of EVs you can get, but you can only get 255 max in a single stat. Not to mention it takes 4 EVs to raise the stat by 1 point, so ideally, you'll aim for 252 at most...

Also, use Macho Brace (doubles EVs received) or Power Items (+4 EVs of a certain stat), as well as maybe Pokérus (doubles EVs received), to make EV-training faster. Finally, you won't see the effects of EV-training (meaning your actual stats won't change) until after you've leveled, so make sure to EV-train before reaching level 100.

Zelos Wilder

Ladys Man
    Years
    Confused by what you mean there, but if you use the EV-reducing berries, you will be able to get all the Def. EVs you want. 510 is the max amount of EVs you can get, but you can only get 255 max in a single stat. Not to mention it takes 4 EVs to raise the stat by 1 point, so ideally, you'll aim for 252 at most...

Also, use Macho Brace (doubles EVs received) or Power Items (+4 EVs of a certain stat), as well as maybe Pokérus (doubles EVs received), to make EV-training faster. Finally, you won't see the effects of EV-training (meaning your actual stats won't change) until after you've leveled, so make sure to EV-train before reaching level 100.

Ah i see, so it's 252 per stat right? Now where can i get those berry's? I'm at the ice gym right now.

Alexeon

← from acrøss T·I·M·E ☆
    Years
    Without relying on trades or a Pokéwalker, you can only get 4 of the EV berries, and only by trading colored shards to the Juggler in Fuchsia City, which you haven't reached yet. I'd say don't concern yourself with EV-training until after you've beaten the Pokémon League.

Zelos Wilder

Ladys Man
    Years
    Without relying on trades or a Pokéwalker, you can only get 4 of the EV berries, and only by trading colored shards to the Juggler in Fuchsia City, which you haven't reached yet. I'd say don't concern yourself with EV-training until after you've beaten the Pokémon League.

Ha i knew it wasn't going to be that easy. Alright cool. Thanks for all the help guys.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 13, 2011
    Massage + Haircut = Beauty?

On Serebii, they say this about contest conditions:
    HG/SS Help Thread

And on Bulbapedia, this is what they say about Daisy:

Also returning from previous generations, Daisy, still located in her home of Pallet Town, will groom one of the player's Pokémon for free once daily between 3:00 and 4:00 PM. As in Generation II, it will raise a Pokémon's happiness greatly, however, it will also raise the Pokémon's Beauty stat. This is not displayed anywhere in-game, and the Pokémon must be seen from the point of view of Diamond, Pearl, or Platinum to notice. Despite this, Feebas whose Beauty is maxed out this way can evolve into Milotic, unlike in FireRed and LeafGreen, where the Beauty stat did not exist in any shape or form.

But for the Haircut Brothers, they mention nothing about them raising a Pokemon's Beauty stat.

So not only am I wondering if the Haircut Brothers really do raise a Pokemon's beauty stat when they do a trim, but also if they can, can I give a both a massage and a haircut and it would get 64 points in its Beauty stat, or 1/4th, since they said specifically you could give a Pokemon a massage OR a haircut and it would get 32 Points towards beauty or 1/8th?

Years
    It'll add up.

So, it's 32 points + whatever a haircut gives.

just out of curiosity if it can be done. Also, ive notied an odd trend where all the pokemon Ive caught are Female. what's up with that?

Well, the pokemon are split into groups: A/B,C/D,E/F, and you randomly get selected 3 pokemon out of those 3 groups.

I think groups are gender specific. The Yellow Forest Pikachu are gender-specific to whether you get Surf or Fly

Last edited:

Zelos Wilder

Ladys Man
    Years
    Quick Question: Is there any way to level up a Munchlax before level 17? I know you need friendship, but is there an item that can make it x2 faster? Thanks in advance.

Mifune

*Lurk Lurk Lurk*
    Years
    Quick Question: Is there any way to level up a Munchlax before level 17? I know you need friendship, but is there an item that can make it x2 faster? Thanks in advance.

A Soothe Bell makes your Pokemon like you 2x faster, it also helps if you caught it in a Luxury Ball.

Zelos Wilder

Ladys Man
    Years
    Do i have to battle with the Soothe Bell on him for it to work? Or can i just walk around with it and let it hold the Soothe Bell?

Back