• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

HG/SS Help Thread

^ is why it took me 130 hours to finally beat Red, because I was also way too lazy to train for him (and I beat him in the high sixties/seventies, yup).

There aren't many places to train, to be honest. There's the Pokemon at Mt. Silver, but they don't do too much good unless you don't mind grinding. Another option would be to gather all the Gym Leaders' phone numbers, and call them at the right time to battle 'em. Eventually, when you think you're at a high enough level, you can try to Elite Four (upgraded) for another training method, along with beating your Rival up Mondays and Wednesdays after you beat Claire and Lance with him in the Dragon's Den.

Holy smokes! I totally forgot about that battle with Clair and Lance!! I don't intend on sounding stupid, but where would your rival be? And how do you get the gym leaders' numbers??? Thanks a ton!

^I second this question.

Why does your rival show up in the Dragon's Den?

Working on a Togetic > Togekiss..

I want to teach Togekiss moves that apparently are only learned at Level 1 eg: Aura Sphere, etc.

How will I be able to give Togekiss back these moves if they can't be earned through level up?

Is it possible to Mystery Gift a Wonder Card over to a friend, such as the Yellow Forest Event Wonder Card?
Unless when you interact with it and there is an option to share that card with friends, no.
^I second this question.

Why does your rival show up in the Dragon's Den?
He's training there so he can get stronger.

As for the Gym Leaders:
Spoiler:

Working on a Togetic > Togekiss..

I want to teach Togekiss moves that apparently are only learned at Level 1 eg: Aura Sphere, etc.

How will I be able to give Togekiss back these moves if they can't be earned through level up?

Move Relearner in Blackthorn. You'll need Heart Scales.

Forgive me, I wasn't sure if this question should be in the Team Help Forum or not, but I guess I'd might as well try.
As of HG and SS, Aron and his evolutions are now able to learn Head Smash via Egg moves. If I have the Egg created in Soul Silver, then trade it to Diamond and hatch it there, will it still learn Head Smash? Or will it have to be hatched in Soul Silver? Because Soul Silver has barely any decent place to hatch eggs :[.

I don't know myself (it could be a yes because it was created in SS, or it could be a not because of the ID and the game), but you can try the Cycling Road to hatch your eggs. Not as good as what's in D/P/Pl, but it's still pretty good, because you only have to press on the up D-pad when you reach the bottom of the Cycling Road.

Holy smokes! I totally forgot about that battle with Clair and Lance!! I don't intend on sounding stupid, but where would your rival be? And how do you get the gym leaders' numbers??? Thanks a ton!

You saw my thread about how you can call anyone for rematches over and over again as long as it's the right time and day, right?

Why don't you use that method? I promise you it's fast. I got one of my Pokemon from 66-70 today in a matter of 30 minutes or less, just by rematching a fisherman about 6 or 8 times in a row. Look at some of the more recent posts I put on there - there's full information about two of the trainers. I'm compiling more information over the next few weeks, too.

Also, my question again, because it was never answered:
What am I doing wrong in the process of getting Blue's number?
I've been the past five days in a row to get massages (today was actually the sixth) and I'm pretty sure each of the Pokemon in my party have max happiness... And yet, she doesn't give me the phone number. Anyone have a reason?

Edit:
Oh, and as for an answer to Minato:
The answer to the question is yes, that the egg should still have Head Smash. This is because the data for the Pokemon is created soon as you pick the egg up. Meaning, you already have a Head Smash Aron right there... It's just that it has a bit of coding that makes it appear as an egg until a certain amount of steps have been taken. When it hatches, the Head Smash won't have disappeared, because it's essentially the same as trading over, say, an Extreme Speed Dratini. Extreme Speed won't disappear just because it's going between games.

- Tyros

So i have a Salamence that I finished EV training.

What would be two good partners with it for the Battle Frontier?

EDIT: BTW does belly drum cut the HP in half when used on a magic guard pokemon?

Last edited:
So i have a Salamence that I finished EV training.

What would be two good partners with it for the Battle Frontier?

EDIT: BTW does belly drum cut the HP in half when used on a magic guard pokemon?

It's really all up to your preference.

And that's actually a really good question. Magic Guard cancels out the effects of Life Orb without taking away the power boost, so that would be one reason to believe it doesn't, but on the other hand, the HP must be cut in half in order to get the Attack boost (in terms of sequence), and I don't think the coding allows for just part of a single move to be executed. I'm leaning towards no in terms of the answer, but I really can't be sure.

Hmmm... Okay, so what are you supposed to do after you beat all of the Kanto gym leaders? Beat Red? My Pokemon aren't ready and I don't feel like training! Ugh what should I do? I'm so lazy and I don't know what to do!!! Help? I tried to go up Mt. Silver to get to Red, but I got lost... -_- Figures. Well, where's a good place to train for Red?

What level are your pokemon? If they're in their high 60's (67, 68) you should be good. I beat Red with my Lv. 67-68 team. My Ninetales OHKO'd Pikachu with a Fire Blast. Oh btw they were all EV trained. : D

"To use Pal Park, a player must transfer six Pokémon from a Generation III game of the same language as the Generation IV game using a Nintendo DS or DS Lite."

^ What exactly does "same language" mean here? As in format or just standard language? Is an EU version 3rd Gen able to work with a UK HG/SS in pal park?

Now what?

Ok well i have done actually everything... beat all 16 gyms ,battered red.. twice :D got bored of the battle frontier , caught every single legendary, got most secret pokemon like lapras and the one from karate king... So does anybody know anything else I could be doing cause I love the game but ran out of things to do :( cheers :D

Well....this about that darn Togepi...

Every time it hatches, I always get Hustle as the ability. Is this set for all copies?Or am I unlucky?

Also, with Hustle, is accuracy lowered for all moves? Or just physical attack moves?

It's just....I finally got a Modest one, although it's female so I could breed....I won't get Extrasensory then....

^

When you get an egg, everything is preset. So you should've saved before getting the egg, not before hatching it. I think that's how it works... Sum1 correct me if im wrong.

I just went back up to him to see if my rival was there training again then he was there again :D

And why wont my signature show? It should be there :S

Check your options, there's a "Disable Signatures" one.

Also, once you've defeated Red, you merely have to defeat the Elite Four, and Red will be re-battleable. I guess seeing as you beat him, he believes it is a fluke, and wants to see you do something twice first?

yeah, you need that, obviously.

Does anybody know about Hustle? does it lower accuracy of everything, or just physical attacks?

yeah, you need that, obviously.

Does anybody know about Hustle? does it lower accuracy of everything, or just physical attacks?

Pokémon with this ability do 50% more damage with physical attacks, but physical attacks have 20% less accuracy. When a Pokémon with this ability is first in the party, wild encounters with higher level Pokémon have a higher chance of occurring.

Back