• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

HG/SS Help Thread

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    At Smogon.com I feel so dumb :(

How can I learn a lot about Pokemon like them?

Like, EV's, IV's, Movesets, Pokemon Roles etc.
    The Pokémon Strategies and Movesets forum is a great place to start. Reading some of the stickies on how to formulate a team and such things like EVs and IVs, etc. would be all good to read so you aren't feeling as dumb. :\ Once you get the hang of it though, you'll see, it won't be that hard.

Where do I find rock smash in SS?
    You get Rock Smash from a Hiker on Route 36, west of Violet City where Sudowoodo is located.

Mujahid

Sir Froakie is impressed.
    Years
    At Smogon.com I feel so dumb :(

How can I learn a lot about Pokemon like them?

Like, EV's, IV's, Movesets, Pokemon Roles etc.

u learn from experience !...get into competitive battling..that'll help...surf through serebii and bulbapedia...it'll take some time but u'll eventually learn about 'em

Porygon3

The Pokemaniac
    Years
    The thing is, you have to actually get her to massage your Pkmn five times. I think five different Pkmn are absolutely OK. Er... Blue is kindof the only leader who's number I don't have, so I might be a bad source.. But I trust serebii atleast. And If it doesn't work with five, then you could just try seven. Or ask someone who knows >_>

Well, uh, hope it goes well, atleast X)

Yeah, I'm just trying to get the answer from someone who did it just so I don't waste my life maxing out like 6 other Pokemon's happiness. I'm confused with all of it. I've tried switching the date on my DS to a week, a month, and even a year after, and then came back at around 3 P.M. to see if she would massage my Typhlosion again, but I had no luck. I wish I had that Happiness Application from Diamond.

Pokestick good times.

[i]cheeky[/i]
    Years
    Yeah, I'm just trying to get the answer from someone who did it just so I don't waste my life maxing out like 6 other Pokemon's happiness. I'm confused with all of it. I've tried switching the date on my DS to a week, a month, and even a year after, and then came back at around 3 P.M. to see if she would massage my Typhlosion again, but I had no luck. I wish I had that Happiness Application from Diamond.
    There's a lady in a house in eastern GoldenRod who gives a vage insight on how much a Pkmn likes you. That's always in handy.

As far as I know, cheating time makes things worse. I couldn't listen to Buena's password for 24 hours ;_;

FalconsDrummer

Why yes, I have an Octillery.
    Years
    This applies to all of Generation IV, but I thought I'd ask here since I'm currently playing HG.

Light Ball raises Att. and Sp.A. of Pikachu. Does it also work for Raichu, or will the Light Ball become useless once I evolve my Pikachu?
    Edit: And yes, I know it also allows for the breeding of Pichu that know Volt Tackle.

Kon~

Follow your dream to the end ~
    Years
    This applies to all of Generation IV, but I thought I'd ask here since I'm currently playing HG.

Light Ball raises Att. and Sp.A. of Pikachu. Does it also work for Raichu, or will the Light Ball become useless once I evolve my Pikachu?
    Edit: And yes, I know it also allows for the breeding of Pichu that know Volt Tackle.

According to Bulbapedia, it is a Pikachu-specific item, so no, it won't work for Raichu. However, it still has some use, as you say, as a breeding item.

Yardizel

Treecko Trainer
    Years
    quick question about pearl to soulsiver wifi

Can you trade pkmn from pearl to SS over Wi-Fi? I was wondering because they have different wifi rooms.

Years
    @Micx: You could just get one of the Dratinis that appear while you're surfing in the Dragon's Den. Unless you want it already with extreme speed...
    That's the point, trying to find out if I got the answers for the ExtremeSpeed Dratini. :P I already got a regular one by surfing around, I just want the one the Den Master gives to see if I have a shot at getting the special one.

TM Dragon Pulse? Hmm, I recall Clair giving me it when I got the badge, if I'm not mistaken. I'll check again just in case.

EDIT: Heh, Clair gave me the TM when I went to the Gym. Seems I missed it somehow.

But now I finally got that blasted Dratini. It would be so obvious, had I paid more attention to the missing TM before... >___>

Thanks for pointing me this out, Eeonhex!

Last edited:

Izionn

Raindancer
    Years
    I have a question about Natures and Evolution!!!
    OK, so,
    I Have this horsea, who is going to be a swift swim user in the rain when I evolve it into kingdra!
    BUT, I just got it to Seadra, but it changed its ability to poison point!!! (Since that's Seadra's ONLY ability)
    Now I know Kingra's abilities are Sniper and Swift swim, just like horsea's, but will it go back to swift swim when I evolve it into Kingdra???
    Or is there a possibility it may even be sniper???
    And if it CAN be sniper, how can I fix this problem?!?!
    Please help!!!!

EDIT: If I'm not online in twenty minutes, a PM answer would make my day! :]

Last edited:

Suzune

Gary Was Here, Ash Is A Loser!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2010
    I'd assume so. I was able to trade via wireless, so why wouldnt wifi work?

Ezio Auditore da Firenze

Well, I never looked, but I had a Horsea with Sniper, and when it was Kingdra, it had Sniper, so I assume you're ok.

Years
    If the Horsea has Swift Swim, Kingdra will have Swift Swim. If the Horsea has Sniper, Kingdra will have Sniper. If you somehow want to know this with a recently caught Seadra, you'll have to evolve it to know.

Generally saying, if your Pokémon has two abilities which are temporarily lost during the evolution stages, it will get the same ability once it's able to. It's like a fixed value of some sort.

Gannon81

Beginning Trainer
    Years
    Safari zone items ???

Hi i've unlocked all of Baoba's stuff but i don't really know how do i get items to put in the safari zone and how do i know which pokemon will show with which items, i'm trying to get a Seviper you see? anyone know?

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
    Years
    look on serebii.
    and to put an item in, just press A in the safari zone while out of grass :)

Trap-Eds

Dig a hole, dig a hole........
    Years
    I'm stuck....

Okay, in Kanto I'm trying to get to Pewter City, but I can't unless I wake up the Snorlax, which I can't do unless I have the Blue Flute, which according to Bulbapedia is in Viridian Forest, which I can't get to 'cause of the Snorlax...arrgh. How do I get that thing to wake up?

Kon~

Years
    I'm stuck....

Okay, in Kanto I'm trying to get to Pewter City, but I can't unless I wake up the Snorlax, which I can't do unless I have the Blue Flute, which according to Bulbapedia is in Viridian Forest, which I can't get to 'cause of the Snorlax...arrgh. How do I get that thing to wake up?

You have to do the Power Plant side quest in order to gain the EXPN Card at the Radio Tower in Lavender. The Pokéflute is a manual channel.

The quest:

First you must visit the Power Plant. The man there will tell you that a part has been stolen. Go to Cerulean and visit the gym. A Team Rocket member will run away. Follow him to Nugget Bridge and battle him. He'll then tell you he hid the part in the gym. You can find the part in the top rubber rings.

Take the part back to the Power Plant and the power will go on again.

Now go to Lavender and talk to someone in the Radio Tower. You will get the EXPN card for your Pokégear. The Pokéflute channel can be found by moving the circle to the top of the ring.

In addition to this, you can now activate the Magnet Train. Someone near the station will tell you about Copycat losing her doll. Go to the fan club in Vermillion and take the Clefairy doll. When you leave the building, Steven Stone will tell you about the red or blue roaming Pokémon. Now take the doll to Copycat in Saffron and she will give you a Magnet Pass.

Quest: Done.
    Result: EXPN Card, Magnet Pass, Access to Lati@s.

Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2010
    I'm stuck, doin' a solo challenge and can't beat Karen with my Gengar, any help?

Kon~

Years
    I'm stuck, doin' a solo challenge and can't beat Karen with my Gengar, any help?

(As I understand it) Ghost has a x2 weakness to Dark. This makes Karen especially hard, and so your best option is to be a higher level than her (by a LOT) and keep using moves of types that her Pokémon have some weakness.

Years
    • Seen May 30, 2010
    Im stuck :(

Im in HG and im up to the Lighthouse in Olivine city.
    My team consists of:

22 Flaafy:
    Thundershock
    Thunder
    Growl
    Cotton Spore

35 Feraligatr:
    Ice Fang
    Crunch
    Surf
    Bite

21 Umbreon:
    Shadow Ball
    Tackle
    Helping Hand
    Sand Attack

20 Sunkern:
    Cut
    Mega Drain
    SolarBeam
    Leech Seed

20 Pigeotto
    Roost
    Gust
    Quick Attack
    Pluck

Im desperatley thinking of restarting.I cant train them up because I think its boring.Can someone help me think up a new team plan.

Back