• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hi from an old-school fan!

Years
    • Seen Oct 19, 2022
    Hey everyone,

(first of all, english isn't my first language but I hope it's good enough)

So here's my story with Pokémon:

It started around 2002 when I was 5 and stumbled across a Pokémon deck. Very shortly after, I got into the anime. It's only in 2005 that I received my first pokémon games: Fire Red & Sapphire (and Emerald a few months after). And, oh boy, were they fantastic! Like many other people from this time, Charizard has always been my favorite pokémon because I loved Ash's Charizard, so I obviously picked Charmander in Fire Red. In terms of generations it's tougher, though. The years I played the most were 2005-2009 and the games I spent the most time on were probably Fire Red, Emerald, and Pearl. So generations 1, 3, and 4 (and, to a lesser extent, 2) all hold a special place in my heart.

I stopped playing Pokemon (at least on a regular basis, I always went back to some old games now and then) around 2010-2011 when Black & White came out and I wasn't a fan of many of the new pokémon (I loved Serperior though!) nor of the fact that you couldn't catch a SINGLE pokemon from previous generations before the pokémon league! But maybe I was too dismissive and I'll give it another chance some day.

I can safely say, however, that generation 6 was by all accounts awesome! I bought Alpha Sapphire right when it came out and I'd consider the Delta Episode the most epic moment in pokémon history.
    I also bought Pokémon X but never got into it. Up until a few months ago, and I loved it! Kalos is a wonderful region, the pokémon are great, and it's nice to see all the improvements since gen IV. I also loved the fact that you got a Kanto starter early in the game, it was a pretty nice surprise.

In my view the only caveat with gen VI is that there's not much of a post-game, in both X/Y and OR/AS (after the Delta Episode).

And I don't know anything about gen VII and VIII. And, before getting into the more recent games, first the truth is that I've never completed a whole Pokédex in my life. So now that I have plenty of time I'll be completing the gen IV pokédex! (approximately 484 pokémon, excluding events). And here's my plan for this massive undertaking:

1) Replay Fire Red & Emerald (currently on Emerald, god bless this game!)
    2) Replay Platinum, Heart Gold, Diamond & Pearl
    3) Trade all the missing pokémon to Platinum or Heart Gold (probably Platinum because it has a better level curve for me to train and evolve a bunch of pokémon)

I'm playing each game with two rules:
    - Catching 100 pokémon before the pokémon league
    - NO LEGENDARY in the team to beat the pokémon league

Once I'm done with all this I'll go to gen V.

I also have a sort of fangame idea that's kinda been on the background for a few years now but that I would really like to do one day, and that is a gen III game called Pokémon Galaxy (based off Fire Red or Emerald) that would basically be a pokémon adventure with the first part being pretty faithful to the original with only slight modifications: you basically go through Kanto/Hoenn to collect the 8 gym leader badges and beat the pokémon league.
    And then the second part of the game you would have 8 more gym badges to collect except this time you would do it... In space! Each planet would be like a mini-region with a few cities. You would then of course have a Battle Frontier. And the 386 pokémon would be catchable, which seems like a good number. As much as I love gen IV, 493 would probably be too heavy, especially because of all the legendaries.

So that's it, sorry if I rambled a bit, hope I like this forum ;)

Years
    Wow this is a lot to unpack. I can tell you're seriously passionate about Pokemon. Sending love to ya brotha <3

Welcome to the Pokecommunity, and I sincerely wish you the best of luck in your Pokedex completion endeavors!

This fan game idea of yours sounds pretty interesting too. I do have to ask, why the need for the original Kanto and Hoenn 8 badges and why not go straight into the space part as the mainstory? I feel like it'd be better if those two were swapped; have the space planets as the main story then allow the player to go to Earth and do Kanto/Hoenn as sort of an optional post game.

Years
    • Seen Oct 19, 2022
    This fan game idea of yours sounds pretty interesting too. I do have to ask, why the need for the original Kanto and Hoenn 8 badges and why not go straight into the space part as the mainstory? I feel like it'd be better if those two were swapped; have the space planets as the main story then allow the player to go to Earth and do Kanto/Hoenn as sort of an optional post game.

That's interesting, hadn't thought of it that way ;)

The idea was that you would need to beat the Kanto/Hoenn league and catch at least 100 pokémon of the regional dex in order to get access to space and the national dex (or shall I say the galactic dex :p). Like in Fire Red where you need to catch at least 60 pokémon to get access to the remaining Sevii Islands.

But now that I think of it, you could have space as the main story as you said, and then the Battle Frontier throughout Hoenn or Kanto (like in season 9 of the anime) instead of more gym badges. That's another possibility, although I think I would prefer to have both the 16 badges AND the Battle Frontier.

And if the game doesn't start in either Kanto or Hoenn you could have a choice between not 3 but 9 starters. If you pick, say, Treecko, your rival would choose either Charmander, Cyndaquil, or Torchic. That would be fun (and of course all the starters would be available somewhere after you beat the pokémon league).

So thanks for giving me more things to think about ;)

Years
    All good my dude. I just feel like people would enjoy a fangame more if they got the completely new content and areas first, and not didn't need to have to grind just to explore it.

This sounds like a bit too much content to fit into a rom hack though, so I'm guessing you're gonna use RPG Maker?

On second thought, hold that answer man. It'd be better if you posted this in the Fan Game Ideas subforum eheh. Meet & Greet doesn't seem like an appropriate place for this discussion.

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2020
    I've never completed a pokedex either, but that's my current goal. I want 1 of everything in my PokeBank and then I want one of everything in each gender 😁

Last edited:

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    Ahhhh the times of playing the Pokemon TCG, even though it was short lived, but I went to locals every Friday night just to have fun. Emerald, HG/SS, and D/P/Plat. are such amazing games and have insane replay value. Sword and Shield is the first PokeDex I've completed myself after all these years of playing, I started playing with Red version. Good luck in your journey to complete the PokeDex, as well as your fan game!

Back