• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hi Howdy

Years
  • Howdy everybody.

I'm Gen the III-rd and I want to script pokemon games. I'm starting out with Emerald from gen III. It's hard work but its fun to see what I can make. I'm doing alot of editing with PKSVUI and Advance map. I've gotten as far as yes/no interactions with npc's. I want to have events happen after the player decides, but I have hit a road block and so I signed up to the Pokecommunity. If anyone can help evolve my understanding of proper syntax and code order I could use help. ;3

-----------------------------------------------Pokecommunity-----------------------------------------------------
    #org @awesomeness
    lock
    faceplayer
    message @Pokecommunityrocks!
    callstd MSG_NORMAL
    release
    end
    -----------------------------------------------------Rocks-------------------------------------------------------------

Not bad for a newb.... right?

Anyways Hi! o/ o\ o/ o/\o

Last edited:
    Years
  • Welcome to the Pokecommunity Gen the IIIrd! Always glad to have another rom hacker join us as I personally love playing rom hacks and seeing the commuinty grow <3

That said, questions like this would be more suitable to be posted in the Rom Hack Help section, so either you post there or a moderator will have this thread transfered.

Meet & Greet is more for personal introductions, but honestly you did tell us quite a good bit about yourself so that's cool :) Can I ask what initally inspired you to start getting into this hobby?

Years
  • Hey Roni! Nice to meet you! I'll change it. I wanted more feedback on what was proper coding technique. I can only learn so much from videos and written tutorials. like I've noticed that if I interfere with the code by adding code in the wrong order or place it negates the entire code. I don't know the boundary of what works and what doesn't work yet. I've been a fan of Pokemon since it came to America in gameboy form. I personally like to write and I have tons of good concepts for games so I need to learn to code so this seems like a natural first step.

Last edited:
    Years
  • like I've noticed that if I interfere with the code by adding code in the wrong order or place it negates the entire code.

not a coder hobbyist myself, but i relate to that a lot back in computer class in highschool lol. a lot of times too i'll forget to add the ; at the end then get stressed out as to why nothing's working XD so yeah i ain't the best guy to ask for stuff like this; i'm just here to greet newcomers. hope you found an answer!

ah that's really cool man. been a fan since gen 4 myself, since i'm still pretty young and that was what was hot back in 2009. sounds like you'll fancy being both the coding guy and the storyboard guy for your games? rooting for you then!

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    welcome to the community! it's always great to see aspiring rom hackers join us, especially since i really enjoy playing through their creations when i can. roni has pointed you in the direction to post your question. i hope enjoy your stay :D

Years
  • Thank you tokyodrift I will try my darnedest to make a cool hack, what I would ideally like to do is make a game with all the regions and story characters in one game. linked by rail, ship, fly and perhaps new routes as well. I want to stay true to I-VI and have it all in a seemless way made from the Emerald rom.

Years
  • not a coder hobbyist myself, but i relate to that a lot back in computer class in highschool lol. a lot of times too i'll forget to add the ; at the end then get stressed out as to why nothing's working XD so yeah i ain't the best guy to ask for stuff like this; i'm just here to greet newcomers. hope you found an answer!

ah that's really cool man. been a fan since gen 4 myself, since i'm still pretty young and that was what was hot back in 2009. sounds like you'll fancy being both the coding guy and the storyboard guy for your games? rooting for you then!

Yes it will be fun to see how all the games we enjoy are really made, with a little reverse engineering thrown in. It gives me a whole new respect for programmers. I might burn out or I might never want to code again. xD

Years
  • I have a tooon of respect for programmers/game-makers too, geez. Not sure I'd ever have the time and patience to learn. welcome to PC!! Wishing you much luck with your project <3

Back