• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Holy crap, Furfrou is a beast!

Koyan

Ghost/Dark Trainer
Years
  • Alright... I will admit that my first impression of this pokemon, I was a bit disappointed... I mean... It's a poodle. Seriously? A poodle pokemon? The hell?

But then... I battled a wild Furfrou...

My level 8-16 team....

Was nearly wiped out...

By a level 8 poodle...

That only knew Growl, Sand attack, and Tackle...

Admittedly, my team is comprised of lackluster pokes to make for a more interesting playthrough...

But still....

Furfrou. Is. A. Beast.

A stupid looking beast... But a beast nonetheless.

Opinions? Yay or Neigh. Gimme yo' feedback, boyo (or lass)! I am now accepting rebuttals!

Last edited:
    Years
  • The most constructive thing I can add to this post is that I have not had that much trouble battling Furfrou's.
    In fact, I didn't find it any harder than the other wild Pokémon of the levels.

Koyan

Ghost/Dark Trainer
    Years
  • The most constructive thing I can add to this post is that I have not had that much trouble battling Furfrou's.
    In fact, I didn't find it any harder than the other wild Pokémon of the levels.

My main pokemon was a Zigzagoon at the time. All physical moves, pretty much.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Tackle is a fine move on a Normal-type with a natural predilection for physical attacks. 50 power is a lot at that stage in the game, particularly on something which will receive STAB (Vivillon with Struggle Bug yields similarly favourable results). Furfrou's base stats probably compare well with most other monsters at the time, too, since it has no evolutionary relatives and may still be expected to 'stand on its own' at higher levels.

Years
  • I was battling one that was way underleveled compared to one of my guys, and I was barely doing anything to it. Even one that was over five levels higher only did a bit over half! I thought, why is this thing taking so little from my attacks?!

The answer: It wasn't until I saw on Marriland's walkthrough that it has the Fur Coat ability, which reduces the damage from contact moves. I thought, that must explain something...

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
    Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2023
    I wish there was a gym leader that uses furfrou early game (aka whitney's miltank) to frustrate players, but alas it was not meant to be

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
  • I know right. I got into a trainer battle. Two Furfrou's at the same time, nearly wiped my team out twice. But a mix of burning them, and leachseed I was just able to scrape by. But their main move was headbut, man that did damage.

TearsOfNightfall

♦ the night watch ♦
    Years
  • I wasn't initially going to use Furfrou in my party, but I got one via Wonder Trade and it actually turned out to be a good early-game damage dealer, especially once it learned Headbutt. Its Fur Coat ability is really handy, too.

Years
    • Seen Dec 25, 2016
    Not Going to lie, Faced this with my levels between 10-19. My Charmander and Pikachu had to be pulled out and had to have Combusken come in and beat him after awhile. :P Maybe its just me.
    The wild Furfrou was level 9

Years
    • Seen today
    He reminds me of Herdier a lot. When I got up to Lenora's gym on my first playthrough of Black it hit all of my pokemon really hard. Come on Takedown? But anyway Furfrou is a tough one.

Azire

Mr. Premier Ball
    Years
    • Seen Dec 25, 2016
    I've had absolutely no issues but then again I've always preferred Special moves to Physical. My Timid Charmander or Modest Froakie made quick work. I actually had more trouble catching one because I kept killing them.

Something that truly annoys me is the fact that revert back to their ugly form if you box them. I wanted to box each different form but alas GameFreak hates that idea. All in all I find it truly useless except to complete my Dex.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    The other day, I was battling with a Passerby, that damn dog ripped my Sydian and my Combusken! :'(

Mithel_Celestia

Alluring Illusion
    Years
  • I use a furfreu and I tell you it has the be the most physically defensive pokemon I have ever used. It's defense is only half it's special defense which is it's highest in my furfreu but it's ability makes up for it by halfing all physical moves. As a plus note it can learn cotton guard so it can reach +6 defense in like, what? 2 turns? basically mine can even survive fighting most fighting types and still be able to knock them out.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2016
    I was surprised at how strong Furfrou was too, it took a while to take that sucker out. Never plan on catching him, i hate its design too much.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    I guess Furfrou will not appear in OU, but I'm sure it will be one of the front runner in NU. {XD}
    Imagine if this thing had an evolution and then you attached an Eviolite to it... Shrugs

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
    Years
  • Furfrou is insane. xD

It's ability makes physical moves a dumb choice to use on it, and it seems to have a high attack stat, judging from how it almost took my Charmeleon out even being 4 levels lower than it.

I don't plan to use it though, I only want to use Kalos Pokemon that haven't been revealed yet (which only leaves me about 15 to choose from xD )

Back