• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Honey, or using your head?

What way did you prefer to use to get Pokemon via trees?

• Honey!

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Headbutting!

Votes: 41 77.4%
  • YOU'RE KILLING THE TREESSSS

Votes: 10 18.9%

• Total voters

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    Headbutting hands down. While I did enjoy slapping some honey on the trees, headbutting was by far more convenient, responsive, and faster. Plus, why wait about half a day for a Pokémon to show up (which most of the time it was something common) when you can keep smashing a tree head on?

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2020
    Headbutt is better. Do you realize how much time, luck, and money goes into catching a Munchlax? What's worse is if you accidentally kill the darn thing while trying to catch it. No. Headbutting is better despite the brain trauma it may cause my pokemon.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    Trees are abused...

I prefer Headbutt, by a slight margin. I pretty much forget to check, rendering it to be a complete waste of money and time. Though Headbutt was really annoying when it came down to finding the pokemon you actually wanted.

Years
    Oh god, headbutting all the way. I HATED they Honey method- it takes too long, and usually results in disappointment :/ Waiting several hours in the hopes of finding a Heracross yet getting a darn Wurmple :( As far as I'm concerned, it's impossible to get a Heracross from a Honey tree. And it's sure as hell impossible to get a Munchlax :/ The luckiest I ever got with a Honey tree was catching an Aipom, so.. I much prefer headbutting because of the instant result. I also prefer that in HGSS, if you headbutt a tree and nothing appears, you know that nothing will ever be in that tree- so you know not to waste your time headbutting it again and again. Headbutt all the way, for me. :)

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    I actually found the whole honey thing too complicated, I forgot to go back or just couldn't be bothered, and it cost a lot of money too. I like the concept of the honey but it just isn't really convenient.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
    Years
    Headbutting was so much better then using honey. Probably the biggest reason is that it was so much quicker. I remember having to wait ages to catch a Cherubi and Burmy. Headbutt was a bit annoying though because there was only one tree in each area and I had to carry the move.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
    Headbutting is the way to go because it would take less than 10seconds to see if you ran into a Pokemon rather than waiting a whole day for a male Combee or an even rarer Pokemon such as Heracross.

:t354:TG

PelipperMail

Banned
    Years
    I only used honey approximately four times. Of those four times, I remembered twice. Both of those gave me a male Combee.
    I headbutt all the time while looking for hidden items on SS accidentally, and I found a Heracross in the process once - so I am definitely a big fan of headbutting!

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Headbutting. While the idea and concept of Honey was nice and all, it was just like what have been mentioned. Honey took a while, and it becomes really disappointing if you've waiting for hours for a Pokemon to come around, and it's not a Pokemon you want (like a Male Combee). Headbutting on the other hand is much easier to do, and if you want to get all the tree Pokemon just simply take a day and just headbutt around for said Pokemon. You don't have to really wait or anything.

Ciax

Ledian Used Starlight!
    Years
    like nearly everyone else I prefer headbutting as it is instant. The only good thing about honey is catching a combee

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    Headbutting is fun. The immediacy is always good to know, especially if it becomes clear that you're wasting your time getting Pinecos when if you try a different tree, you could get a Heracross. (I know the game mechanics don't really work that way but LET ME IMAGINE IT, DAMMIT!)

shinyabsol1

Pokemon DarkJasper!?
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2022
    I liked the idea of honey trees, but headbutting is so much easier.

And I just wanted to say to a certain pokemon...

giradialkia said:
    it's sure as hell impossible to get a Munchlax

...thanks for the pain, I will probably never put honey on a tree again.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    I'm going with the general consensus ( I did it before it went mainstream shut it, Hipster EK) and say headbutt, because of the instant result. However, I am doing a pro and cons for my preferred method:

Pros of Headbutting:
    • Instant results
    • No forgetting about headbutting (Although you might eventually forget how, hitting your head over and over is not good, concussions are bad)
    • Headbutting is free

Cons of Headbutting/pros of honey:

• 100% Pokemon seeing rate
    • Something about Honey is just cool
    • Honey seems more realistic than headbutting
    • Soft resetting

Last edited:

Ineffable~

DAT SNARKITUDE
    Years
    Show some love for Headbutting! :D

I always loved headbutting. Loved the Pokémon that came from it, how easy it is, how immediate it is, and I even quite like the move Headbutt itself in battle.

I don't really like Honey since I never got to tend to the tree at the right time unless I pained greatly remembering and thought about it all day, and even then it wasn't one-hundred percent. On top of that, if I ever actually did get at the Pokémon, rarely would it ever be something I wanted. :(
    The concept of Honey Trees was actually really quite cool, but it didn't work for me personally and I feel they could have done it better.
    Idek how people get Munchlax at all. D:

On the other hand, there isn't really any problem I find with Headbutting.

Years
    • Seen Mar 18, 2017
    I. Hate. Those. Freaking. Honey. Trees.

I've been placing honey on those damn trees almost every day since December of LAST YEAR, and STILL haven't found a Munchlax. Stupid 12 hour wait. With headbutting, once you headbutt a few trees, you'll find one that works every time, and you can hit it once every 10 seconds rather than once every day.

Last edited:
    Years
    I've been commonly ranting and complaining about how crappy the honey mechanic in general is in the past, and my opinion hasn't changed a bit since then. Honey belongs on bread, not on trees.

dozo

party hardy
    Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2014
    I've been commonly ranting and complaining about how crappy the honey mechanic in general is in the past, and my opinion hasn't changed a bit since then. Honey belongs on bread, not on trees.

Haha this.
    I never had the patience to put honey on trees and wait. Headbutting was quick, effective, and kinda neat to watch.

Back