• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Please note that users with less than 6 posts will have their threads/posts go to the approval queue if it has links or messages. This counts edits made to threads/posts after they were already approved and is intentional anti-spam behavior that is unfortunately necessary. Once you reach 6 posts, this will no longer occur.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: [HotM October 2009] Pokémon ToxicPurple (Team Rocket hack)

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2016
    It's possible to catch that Marowak. Not sure if you wanted it that way. And in the alpha, everyone, you can only catch up to two Pokemon besides Rattata and Vulpix. Choose between Cubone, Marowak, Spearow, Pidgey, or Gastly for your last two Pokemon of the 5.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    It's possible to catch that Marowak. Not sure if you wanted it that way. And in the alpha, everyone, you can only catch up to two Pokemon besides Rattata and Vulpix. Choose between Cubone, Marowak, Spearow, Pidgey, or Gastly for your last two Pokemon of the 5.
    Vulpix?You can choose between Vulpix,Poliwag(I chose) and Oddish.
    And what do you means by that,After Beatin/Catching Marowak you get
    Spoiler:
    I already have Rattata,Poliwag,Marowak,Gastly and Spearow and left the last one for a fire pokemon in the next alpha.

Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2016
    THEALPHAISAMAZINGTHEALPHAISAMAZING

"y-you wouldn't take VULPY, would you?"

oh yes i will! being evil gives me a strange sense of... evilness

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019

LOL yea i remeber.
    "Y-you wouldn't take ODDY,would you?"
    NO,Even thoug he evolves into Vileplume i still think you have better pokemon.
    "Y-you wouldn't take VULPY, would you?"
    Nah,It would take me forever to find a firestone to be good,though it only evolves into Ninetails.But Ninetails good and stuff but i guess theres a pokemon who have a third evolution
    "Y-you wouldn't take POLY,would you?"
    A Poliwag?Yes something that evolve into A strong pokemon which then evolves Into Poltoad or Poliwrath.Now gemme that Poliwag muahahahaha.

alo123

Munchlax Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2019
    i beat the fighting dojo and got a hitmonchan and my poliwag evoled great hack

Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2016
    Vulpix?You can choose between Vulpix,Poliwag(I chose) and Oddish.
    And what do you means by that,After Beatin/Catching Marowak you get
    Spoiler:
    I already have Rattata,Poliwag,Marowak,Gastly and Spearow and left the last one for a fire pokemon in the next alpha.
    I didn't get 10 great balls, I just got the machete and went on my way. And I'm not so dumb that I don't know that you can choose from 3 stolen Pokemon [starters]. I'm saying, that for whatever reason I didn't receive 10 great balls, and that even though it's an alpha, I was only capable of capturing 4 Pokemon.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    I didn't get 10 great balls, I just got the machete and went on my way. And I'm not so dumb that I don't know that you can choose from 3 stolen Pokemon [starters]. I'm saying, that for whatever reason I didn't receive 10 great balls, and that even though it's an alpha, I was only capable of capturing 4 Pokemon.
    Well,wierd i already got 10 great ball,go check agian,maybe you still have 9 great balls.I didnt say your dumb.

ckret2

usually pronounced "secret 2"
    Years
    your the best!!! played it and its rlly good! congrats on your work.

actually after playing for a little while, everything is great except that there is no place to train against wild pokes lol i whited out twice already xD

Yeah, that's a problem. It's possible to skip all the trainers on Route 8, but once you get to Pokémon Tower, you have to battle that one Channeler to get to the first floor with wild Pokémon; after that you can train your Rattata against all the wild Pokémon except for the Gastly, and your secondary starter against everything. The trouble is getting to those Pokémon, and the only grass on Route 8 is sealed off by cuttable bushes... How would you guys feel if I put some wild Pokémon in that grass in Saffron City in front of the Rocket Base? They'd be dumb things like Pidgey and Rattata, but they'd be enough to train against.

I like your Alpha, Ckret.

So far, no bugs. This Hack will be better if the people in the Houses actually
    ambushes you.

Glad you like so far! And I'm working on the ambushes from people in the houses. Just haven't gotten that far yet.

Great hack always wanted to play the bad guy also i beat 4 out of the 5 people in the fighting dojo gastly is great against mankey and primeape

Hah, I hadn't thought of that. Nice strategy! Like I said, you're not actually supposed to be able to challenge the dojo, but there'll be a plot event later on to let you do it then.

Yep, that's the idea. :D Evil for the win!

I always liked being evil. I caught Mother Marowak and I had fun testing
    out her power.
    The hack is AWSOME!! ckret,i even managed to catch that lv.11 marowak,lol.

Now, how did you all do that? You're not supposed to be able to get any Poké Balls whatsoever until after the Marowak event. Since, y'know, Marowak gets killed. And after that, you get enough to go catch each of all the Pokémon listed above. Except Marowak. Marowak isn't an option, since the only wild one is the Mother Marowak, and it's supposed to die. I figure there must be some hidden item Poké Balls somewhere in the tower that I didn't take out?

... Yep, there it is. Great Ball on the fourth floor. I don't know where you're finding a second Poké Ball; could you tell me where? That Escape Rope needs to go too, and the Nugget's probably a bit too much for the first mission. Maybe they can be replaced with Awakenings, those'd be useful with all the Hypnosis-using Gastly around.

By the way, that list of Pokémon you put up... Cubone, Marowak (which you shouldn't be able to catch...), Spearow, Pidgey, Gastly. Pretty good, but you're missing a couple off your list. They're both really high up in Pokémon Tower, by the way.

Oh, and you can also catch Rattata on Route 8, but what's wrong with the one you've got? :P

i beat the fighting dojo and got a hitmonchan and my poliwag evoled great hack

Hah! Impressive work. Next alpha you won't be able to do that, unfortunately, but you'll get to challenge the fighting dojo later.

Weird... You sure? Getting 10 Great Balls is part of the Machete script; you can't get one without getting the other. Huh. And where did you get the other two Poké Balls? I found one Great Ball in Pokémon Tower but couldn't find the other.

Last edited:

Cholo

Moveset Breeder
    Years
    • Seen May 29, 2013
    u can fix the marowak problem by hexediting its data and giving it the ability arena trap, the only problem (if u want to call it that) is that this will change the data for all of the marowaks (which means if u catch a marowak itl have arena trap... i think the same might apply if u evolve a cubone..)
    anyway if u willing to take this into consideration i show u the line of code u need to search for in ur hex editor and show u what u need to change... (i would do this now, but it might be pointless since u might have already solved the problem a better way)

Zanny77

I'm back, baby!
    Years
    Tres Manufique!

Yea, that Great Ball was...well...great. I got myself a Gastly and proceeded to own. I honestly think you should keep a ball there, even if you demote it to a Poke Ball. Some things though.

1. Lack of training, as mentioned. I think that Pokemon in the Saffron grass would be annoying. Why not just add some grass near the top of the Route 8? It would make it a heck of a lot easier.

2. That weird Biker. I understand you wanted something cool, but that Eevee was just TOO weird. Protect and Frustration? The Charmander is fine, but I recommend ditching the Eevee.

3. Lv. 7 Muk. Do we really need that much EXP help? It's fine as a Grimer.

4. Chemistry nerd with the LV. 8 Voltorb. I think that having a Lv. 8 as the (well, technically 2nd) trainer you face is a little too...stressful, especially since he has 4 Pokemon. I recommend ditching either Voltorb.

5. TOO MANY HEAL ITEMS FOR TRAINERS. This is probably my biggest con. Just when I think my lv. 4 Rattata has killed that Mr. Mime (Which Mimiced Tackle :\), Potion. !!!!! I got lucky tho, and beat it...with 1 health left.

6. A box instead of my machete sprite? T-T

Speaking of which...now that we're really off the ground, I am BORED OUT OF MY MIND, seeing as how I have loads of free time and nothing to do. Let me sprite you something! ANYTHING!!! *twitch*

......anyway.....

Overall, this is one of THE BEST hacks I have played...and honestly, besides those cons, it's a lot more fun than the original FireRed. I am totally looking forward to helping you more (if you need help with trainer levels/teams, I'm right here), and playing more of this hack as it develops. :D

.......Do you know any POLKAMON?

ckret2

Years
    u can fix the marowak problem by hexediting its data and giving it the ability arena trap, the only problem (if u want to call it that) is that this will change the data for all of the marowaks (which means if u catch a marowak itl have arena trap... i think the same might apply if u evolve a cubone..)
    anyway if u willing to take this into consideration i show u the line of code u need to search for in ur hex editor and show u what u need to change... (i would do this now, but it might be pointless since u might have already solved the problem a better way)

I considered changing Marowak's ability to Arena Trap, but I don't want to start editing Pokémon's abilities unless I absolutely have to. Particularly since Marowak naturally has two different abilities (Rock Head and Lightningrod), so if I wanted to guarantee that the Marowak had Arena Trap, I'd have to get rid of both of Marowak's possible abilities to guarantee that the one you battle has Arena Trap.

Also, one of Rattata's abilities is Run Away, which negates the affects of Arena Trap; since you're guaranteed to get a Rattata, I'd have to change its ability, too, to make sure you can't run away, and then I'd have to change Raticate's ability as well, in case someone is crazy and decides to get their Rattata to level 20 and evolve it before facing Marowak.

There are ways to script a wild Pokémon battle so that if you run away, the game treats it differently than if you won. I just need to figure out what those ways are. Even though it'd be an easy way out, I don't want to start messing with a Pokémon's abilities unless I don't have any better alternative.

Curt_09

Also known as Chozo
    Years
    Awesome hack, congratulations!
    Judging by the Alpha, this thing will win awards.

The Biker's Eevee... Not so fun to fight. The Voltorbs weren't really a problem, but that Mr. Mime was a pain before I figured to use Tail Whip until he Mimic'd it.

The lack of grass to train in doesn't really bother me all that much...

Keep up the great work!

PatJamma

From the ashes
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 8, 2022
    Why is Polywag even a choice if you are doomed if you pick it?

Surf

Years
    • Age 29
    • Rust
    • Seen Jul 31, 2011
    Remember, ambushes will require level scripting.
    And I'm here to help with that, crket2 ;P

ckret2

Years
    Tres Manufique!

Yea, that Great Ball was...well...great. I got myself a Gastly and proceeded to own. I honestly think you should keep a ball there, even if you demote it to a Poke Ball. Some things though.

The problem is, leaving the Great Ball there means it's possible to catch that Marowak. Which really screws up the logic of the game. Since the plot involves that Marowak being killed, it wouldn't make sense to have that Marowak be able to be caught. The most logical way to prevent catching the Marowak would be for the trainer battling the Marowak to not have Poké Balls, rather than to have some sort of Poké Ball and not be able to use it for no good reason.

1. Lack of training, as mentioned. I think that Pokemon in the Saffron grass would be annoying. Why not just add some grass near the top of the Route 8? It would make it a heck of a lot easier.

Hmm... A few patches of grass could fit in pretty well in that series of jump ledges, a la Route 5... I'll put those in before the next alpha.

2. That weird Biker. I understand you wanted something cool, but that Eevee was just TOO weird. Protect and Frustration? The Charmander is fine, but I recommend ditching the Eevee.

Heh. That Biker was actually the first Trainer (after the Psychic at the beginning) that I modified in A-Trainer. My logic went something like "Bikers use Poison and Fire-types, Eevee evolves into a Flareon, to give the trainer more type diversity, give him an Eevee!" Protect and Frustration are both TM moves, which is why I figure it would be "legal" to use them. But yeah, the Eevee is pretty weird. I may switch it with something lamer like a Rattata (with a normal moveset), or just get rid of its TM moves.

3. Lv. 7 Muk. Do we really need that much EXP help? It's fine as a Grimer.

Whoa, there's a level 7 Muk? Thanks for mentioning it, I completely missed that one. On most of the trainers on Route 8 I just de-leveled the parties they had, so apparently I missed the fact that one guy had a Muk instead of a Grimer.

4. Chemistry nerd with the LV. 8 Voltorb. I think that having a Lv. 8 as the (well, technically 2nd) trainer you face is a little too...stressful, especially since he has 4 Pokemon. I recommend ditching either Voltorb.

I'll level it down to 3 or 4 or something. I'm basically experimenting with the levels at this point, getting feedback on what works and what doesn't. One level 8 Pokémon might (barely) be manageable, a level 8 Pokémon on a team of 4 apparently isn't. Ditching the Voltorb all together means completely rescripting the trainer (which would be... really annoying), so I'll just weaken them all up a lot.

5. TOO MANY HEAL ITEMS FOR TRAINERS. This is probably my biggest con. Just when I think my lv. 4 Rattata has killed that Mr. Mime (Which Mimiced Tackle :\), Potion. !!!!! I got lucky tho, and beat it...with 1 health left.

Duly noted. I'm keeping the heal items on important trainers (like Psychic Tyron and Channeler Leonora), but make sure they're only one each and take them away from other trainers. FYI, most of the time, if you don't use Tail Whip on Psychic Tyron's Abra and don't get a critical hit, he'll use his Potion on it, and then be Potion-less for Mr. Mime. And you can buy vending machine heal items in the Rocket Base before you ever go outside, if you're concerned about beating that Mr. Mime with the Mimic. (I absolutely adore vending machine beverages. You might not ever get a chance to buy a single Potion in the game but there'll be vending machines and Moomoo Milk and such available all over the place.)

6. A box instead of my machete sprite? T-T

Sorry! I wasn't able to find the offset of the box in order to replace it before I put up the alpha. I'll have your machete in by the next alpha.

Speaking of which...now that we're really off the ground, I am BORED OUT OF MY MIND, seeing as how I have loads of free time and nothing to do. Let me sprite you something! ANYTHING!!! *twitch*

Hmm... We've got the machete, a fake Pokémon League certificate, a PokéToaster... Eventually we're gonna need a couple of items to take care of Strength rocks and Rock Smash rocks, since those HMs will be replaced with items. Gotta be small enough that they can be reasonably carried around (a bulldozer wouldn't fit in a backpack very well), but still able to do the job. I dunno, maybe a Super-Compact Rocket Jackhammer for the Rock Smash rocks or something? (Silly idea. :P) We can brainstorm on those items a bit and come up with good items to sprite.

Overall, this is one of THE BEST hacks I have played...and honestly, besides those cons, it's a lot more fun than the original FireRed. I am totally looking forward to helping you more (if you need help with trainer levels/teams, I'm right here), and playing more of this hack as it develops. :D

Thank you very much! Don't think I need much help with trainer levels/teams much, though I might send you a list of the Pokémon I intend to have as available by trainer-theft only and see where you think it'd be appropriate to have those various thefts take place. I'd like one in Rock Tunnel, so that'll be coming up pretty soon.

.......Do you know any POLKAMON?

~It's time to polka for Ponyta and Pidgey too
    Come on! Put on your lederhosen, and try not to stamp on little Pikachu
    You'd better grab yourself a partner, like Tentacruel or Bulbasaur
    Hold on a minute! There's still at least a hundred and twenty-seven more~

Weird Al for the win. :D

Awesome hack, congratulations!
    Judging by the Alpha, this thing will win awards.

The Biker's Eevee... Not so fun to fight. The Voltorbs weren't really a problem, but that Mr. Mime was a pain before I figured to use Tail Whip until he Mimic'd it.

The lack of grass to train in doesn't really bother me all that much...

Keep up the great work!

Thank you very much. :D Yeah, I'll do something about that Eevee.

How strong is Frustration, btw? I don't know what the basic happiness level of an enemy trainer's Pokémon is. Maybe it's zero? ... In which case a trainer on the first route definitely shouldn't have a Pokémon using it, heh. I'm guessing it might be the same as the base happiness when you catch a wild Pokémon, 70 points, which would make Frustration have a base power of 62 for Eevee. Add in its STAB... and you've got an Eevee using an attack with a base power of 93, yeesh. Way too high for the first route.

Hmm... Speaking of Frustration, maybe I should rework Mewtwo's moveset so that it knows Frustration the first time or two you fight it. It's a rather appropriate move for Mewtwo, being the angry thing it is, and since its base happiness is 0, that's 102 base power. Heck, it can replace Swift. (Pretty lame move.) After Swift at level 33, Mewtwo doesn't learn another damage-dealing move in FR/LG until Psychic at level 66. Kinda pitiful. And you're definitely gonna get to battle Mewtwo before it reaches level 66, so...

Well. That was a tangent. Anyway, thanks, glad you like!

Why is Polywag even a choice if you are doomed if you pick it?

Why are you doomed? I'd think Poliwag is even preferable in the early part of the game, since it's got a type advantage against Marowak.

Remember, ambushes will require level scripting.
    And I'm here to help with that, crket2 ;P

Thanks, I'll let you know if I need it. :D I think it might be possible to make it so that when you step into a house, a Trainer immediately sees you and walks up to you for a battle, but I'll test that to see for sure. If not, I'll probably be asking you for help.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2014
    The game crashes if you go to the lavender town pokemon centre then get whited out.

The warden

I'm back!
    Years
    I considered changing Marowak's ability to Arena Trap, but I don't want to start editing Pokémon's abilities unless I absolutely have to. Particularly since Marowak naturally has two different abilities (Rock Head and Lightningrod), so if I wanted to guarantee that the Marowak had Arena Trap, I'd have to get rid of both of Marowak's possible abilities to guarantee that the one you battle has Arena Trap.

Also, one of Rattata's abilities is Run Away, which negates the affects of Arena Trap; since you're guaranteed to get a Rattata, I'd have to change its ability, too, to make sure you can't run away, and then I'd have to change Raticate's ability as well, in case someone is crazy and decides to get their Rattata to level 20 and evolve it before facing Marowak.

There are ways to script a wild Pokémon battle so that if you run away, the game treats it differently than if you won. I just need to figure out what those ways are. Even though it'd be an easy way out, I don't want to start messing with a Pokémon's abilities unless I don't have any better alternative.

I had an idea of a possible work around for this. It's kind of complex but it could just work. You go to one of the extra 25 slots in the Pokedex and turn that in to a clone of a Marowak but you make both abilities Arena trap and you make your Rattata a custom made Rattata in the same way. Would this work?

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
    Years
    I had an idea of a possible work around for this. It's kind of complex but it could just work. You go to one of the extra 25 slots in the Pokedex and turn that in to a clone of a Marowak but you make both abilities Arena trap and you make your Rattata a custom made Rattata in the same way. Would this work?
    Sure, it would. And possibly make different sprites?

JDJ

Vulpix Breeder, Shiny Hunter
    Years
    • NH
    • Seen Nov 19, 2015
    I played through the alpha, and I have to say, though there are many problems with the alpha, none of them are a reflection of your skills, just things that need some time to polish. The basics of it were awesome. I'm no Trainer/Pokemon Lvl. Expert, but I certainly felt like team rocket, running back and forth to the base's pokecenter to heal. The heightened levels were more challenging, and the Evee Biker wasn't that troubling, just a little. One thing that annoyed the hell out of me though was one of the channelers with Ghastly. It put my Vulpix to sleep with Hypnosis, and then killed it (Critical Hits Galore) which left me with nothing but my Rattata, which new Tackle, Tail Whip, Quick Attack, and Hyper Fang. All normal moves. So not only could I not attack the Ghastly, but the Ghastly couldn't attack me either, lick being noneffective. So this clusterf*** of a battle ended with the Ghastly killing me with struggle, due to the fact that he only had 2 moves to run out of PP for, whilst I had four. It made me very bored. Anyways, I had an idea for what tools to use as a rocket for the HMs. This is what I came up with:

Fly: Hanglider, Hot Air Balloon?

Strength: Crowbar, to wedge the boulders over?

Rock Smash: Rocket Firecrackers/Dynamite

Surf: Rocket's Emergency Raft.

Flash: Flashlight, lol.

Waterfall: Grappling Hook, a motor for the boat. This one stumps me.

So anyways, I hope to see incredible progress, this being an awesome hack. I hope I've helped, given you insight about how to solve the HM Replacement issue.

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    Technically, you could make a modification of the shiny hack in order to make a wild Pokémon always have the same ability... But if you have a satisfactory solution already, go for it ;)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back