• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How about a new pokemon anime spin-off series targeted at an older audience?

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    I would include a brand new character trying to become a pokemon champion, (which he does btw) He travels alone with a stater pokemon at a younger age not 10 years old, but like 15 or 16. And after 15 episodes or so, the series skips to when he is a champion on a unspecified region (NOT KANTO) and 2-3 years older, he meets and gets a love intrest/ relationship with either May or Dawn, that's were he meets older ash, age 18 training for the indigo leauge. Ash and this new character battle it out for the Kanto champion leauge. Who will win? This new character who we have grown to like? Or our old time Ash Ketchem?
    This new series would have SOME blood, better pokemon style animation like in the movies, cursing words (but not extreme), judges ending rounds because the pokemon insist on fighting but are too physically injured to contuie, kinda like boxing. Also would include something close to ecchi, but not quite there. The characters have some adventures before the kanto showdown. Also some refrence TO THE orginal pokemon series. Like for example new character travels kanto to recive gym badges for Indigo leauge. He battles Forest at pewter city, Misty..ect..
    I LIKE THE LOVE INTREST BECUASE THAT WOULD BE A GOOD WAY FOR THE CHARACTERS TO INTRODUCE THEMSELVES TO EACH OTHER.

How about a new pokemon anime spin-off series targeted at an older audience?
    How about a new pokemon anime spin-off series targeted at an older audience? https://www.pokecommunity.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=6976401

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
    I wouldn't advocate for anything like this that ties into the original one with Ash until he has actually achieved something. Too me why would I want too see some new character achieve when the character I have been watching since the shows inception is still stuck back in time at the age of 10 making no progression in his own story.

15 - 16 episodes and being a champ? Even for a Spin Off that seems rather drastic if you actually want to keep the series going. And I get this is aimed toward older audiences, but do we really need love interests when the main focus should be on the pokemon themselves and less amount on the actual humans.

I don't see what we need blood since we can already tell when the pokemon is weakened and fatigued. Animation style changed from DP to BW so I think it's just fine. I don't see how much cruse words really would add to a discussion in the anime since they don't really do much for a conversation in real life.

I'd prefer the love stuff to be left to all the Shippers.

Years
    I wouldn't advocate for anything like this that ties into the original one with Ash until he has actually achieved something. Too me why would I want too see some new character achieve when the character I have been watching since the shows inception is still stuck back in time at the age of 10 making no progression in his own story.

15 - 16 episodes and being a champ? Even for a Spin Off that seems rather drastic if you actually want to keep the series going. And I get this is aimed toward older audiences, but do we really need love interests when the main focus should be on the pokemon themselves and less amount on the actual humans.

I don't see what we need blood since we can already tell when the pokemon is weakened and fatigued. Animation style changed from DP to BW so I think it's just fine. I don't see how much cruse words really would add to a discussion in the anime since they don't really do much for a conversation in real life.

I'd prefer the love stuff to be left to all the Shippers.
    Well, what I was thinking was that the spin-off focus more on the characters more matured and able to handle pokemon like pros, the early episodes would be just to introduce the new character and give him some background. As for Ash, we should already expect him to challange the kanto leauge. This series would take place after ash's adventures in the regions. This new character would be his closest rivial because he has build a close friendship with one Ash's closest friends as well, thus May or Dawn. Of course the pokemon are the most important since they are the ones that provide most of the senerios not only in battling but understanding pokemon. Just because it's more matured doesn't mean it will subtract there childish and playful natures. Why do you think pokemon human characters can't have love-intrests? I mean they won't be corney or mushy. Violence probably won't extend futher than let's say drangon ball z anime.

Berry Punch

Permadrunk naughty Pony
    Years
    I'd love to see an OVA from PokéSpe, it was a great manga, the art style was neat (at least in the first Gen.) and it seemed to darker and more immoral than everything else Pokemon-related. Also, fat Pikachu.
    It didn't have "too much" graphic violence, but the fact that people and Pokemon can get killed so hard that they die to death made the Pokemon world in the manga look dark and crazy. It would be a nice anime for an older audience + you wouldn't have to introduce new characters, since all characters are people from the games with alternate biographies. And if you add some randomness and "wtf"-moments, the result would be a pretty obscure anime that appeals to non-Pokemon fans.

I personally would love to see it.

SomariFeyWright

Seven years is all it takes...
    Years
    I say... No.

Kiddy and childish is just who I am, and what I love about Pokemon. And I don't care how much more mature the rest of the fanbase is; the only way you're going to try and talk them into changing a thing is over my dead body!

No cussing. No blood. No nothing.

Leave stuff like that to fanfiction.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    Ah, I'm not going to go too into this topic, as it comes up too often, but when I saw the new "Pokémon + Nobunaga's Ambition" I thought it would be a cool idea to see the anime make a special promoting the game. Like they've done so before with other spin-offs. (Mystery Dungeon and the Ranger games) I'm sure looking at the game so far that they could implement a more mature theme in a special, but I wouldn't go too far into blood and so on.

AshPikastar

It's Question Time!
    Years
    Ah, I'm not going to go too into this topic, as it comes up too often, but when I saw the new "Pokémon + Nobunaga's Ambition" I thought it would be a cool idea to see the anime make a special promoting the game. Like they've done so before with other spin-offs. (Mystery Dungeon and the Ranger games) I'm sure looking at the game so far that they could implement a more mature theme in a special, but I wouldn't go too far into blood and so on.

That's how I felt when I saw the new Spin-off. If they are going to be doing a Spin-Off series for the older audience then they'll most likely go with the Nobunaga Ambition one since it seems to trigger that type of audience more.

Jarred0809

The Eternal Lurker
    Years
    I say... No.

Kiddy and childish is just who I am, and what I love about Pokemon. And I don't care how much more mature the rest of the fanbase is; the only way you're going to try and talk them into changing a thing is over my dead body!

No cussing. No blood. No nothing.

Leave stuff like that to fanfiction.

Not cussing and blood, but maybe real danger or getting rid of invincible trainers. Stuff like that.

masterquestmq

Enthusiastic Rom Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    I say yes.

they did this with scooby doo mystery inc. and the results were encouraging. since alot of the audience that followed scooby doo were now all grown up they gave a reboot to the series that attracted the younger audience and for those who were a lil 'grown up' there were alot of 'hidden jokes' and touched on issues such as crushes love etc.

something that is appropriate for both the young n the slightly no longer that young as id like to call it.

this spinoff would be great as it would also solve some of the unanswered questions d anime posed like the current lives of ash's ex-companions etc.

maybe new development on the gs ball or any other thing that may have crossed ur mind while watching the anime. this series would pick up where the anime left off basically.

this is a really good idea tbh. sad no ones thought about this before.

kudos on the idea though.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
    Well, what I was thinking was that the spin-off focus more on the characters more matured and able to handle pokemon like pros, the early episodes would be just to introduce the new character and give him some background. As for Ash, we should already expect him to challange the kanto leauge. This series would take place after ash's adventures in the regions. This new character would be his closest rivial because he has build a close friendship with one Ash's closest friends as well, thus May or Dawn. Of course the pokemon are the most important since they are the ones that provide most of the senerios not only in battling but understanding pokemon. Just because it's more matured doesn't mean it will subtract there childish and playful natures. Why do you think pokemon human characters can't have love-intrests? I mean they won't be corney or mushy. Violence probably won't extend futher than let's say drangon ball z anime.
    If they have Ash as a character and the character best or really close friend was a travel companion of Ash that would feel more like a continuation to the overall series more then a Spin Off. I'd prefer they already tie up the lose ends in the Main before they even think about creating a farther along continuation with him older. Instead of love interested I'd like to see them explore all emotions with their travel companions and friends but I don't really want that to take much away from the main focus on the story, but definitely enough to maintain strong character relationships. Even if it was the same level of violence... Goku gets blasted with Special Beam Cannon, all the Z fighters besides Gohan, Krillin and Goku are killed when Vegeta and Nappa arrive, whole Namek villages are slaughtered. Krillin is gored by Freiza, Freiza literally gets cut to pieces multiple times. I could go on but it's pretty violent if it were even on the same level to say the least.

I say yes.

they did this with scooby doo mystery inc. and the results were encouraging. since alot of the audience that followed scooby doo were now all grown up they gave a reboot to the series that attracted the younger audience and for those who were a lil 'grown up' there were alot of 'hidden jokes' and touched on issues such as crushes love etc.

something that is appropriate for both the young n the slightly no longer that young as id like to call it.

this spinoff would be great as it would also solve some of the unanswered questions d anime posed like the current lives of ash's ex-companions etc.

maybe new development on the gs ball or any other thing that may have crossed ur mind while watching the anime. this series would pick up where the anime left off basically.

this is a really good idea tbh. sad no ones thought about this before.

kudos on the idea though.
    "In an interview with Masamitsu Hidaka in 2008, it was explained that the GS Ball was meant to contain a Celebi that was to be the star of a large arc of the Johto saga. However, it was decided that Celebi would be the star of the fourth movie, so the story arc was viewed as redundant and shelved. The ball was left with Kurt with the hopes that viewers would eventually forget about it. This plan, however, failed, as the GS Ball remained one of the most talked-about anime mysteries until the interview."
    Seems kind of doubtful they will revisit that since it was already redundant back then.

Years
    I wrote some of it in fanfiction section. It's kinda of what I was thinking. Go and read it to get like a general sense, if you want that is. It's called "Pokemon Generations"

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
    I can't image Pokemon changing in any ways, in my opinion, I won't like the idea of love interest in Pokemon because there is countless love related anime's (which most I don't like) and I would lump into that category. I agree with SomariFeyWright, leave this to fanfiction.

:t354:TG

darkpokeball

Beware the Chainsaw Meowth 0.o
    Years
    I would say make both. Continue the kiddy adventures of Ash, then the older players or something could go check out a different series that's darker. My ideal series would be where a traveling companion starts at five, then before the end of the series, two of them die. The pokemon would be more dramatic, and be used as weapons for example. Weave in a story around a skeleton that consists of where death of pokemon isn't rare, but isn't common either, main characters are likable, so when they die, they leave an impact, and such. No cursing. Blood minimal. Basically, Pokemon in a dystopian universe.

The Void

hiiiii
    Years
    No offense, but that would kinda suck. I agree with Kenshin. If you want blood and gore to be included in Pokemon, there are tons of fanmade Pokemon videos in YouTube for that. Besides, Pokemon was made for kids and that my friend will never change. I can never imagine a kind of official Pokemon show with all that mature stuff. If you want something a little more "mature" try reading the Pokemon Adventues, my favorite manga of all time. At least they actually "kill" each other with Pokemon. Blood comes out rarely though. No love stuff there whatsoever, though.

If you want a movie, try watching this if you want... it's fanmade though:

Years
    No offense, but that would kinda suck. I agree with Kenshin. If you want blood and gore to be included in Pokemon, there are tons of fanmade Pokemon videos in YouTube for that. Besides, Pokemon was made for kids and that my friend will never change. I can never imagine a kind of official Pokemon show with all that mature stuff. If you want something a little more "mature" try reading the Pokemon Adventues, my favorite manga of all time. At least they actually "kill" each other with Pokemon. Blood comes out rarely though. No love stuff there whatsoever, though.

If you want a movie, try watching this if you want... it's fanmade though:

Haha that video is a joke! I mean the story is okay, but the live action is terrible. LIVE ACTION NEVER WORKS WITH ANIME. Gore is too extreme, I never meant anything like that, Blood on pokemon is somwhat bad, mabey some blood from the human characters, btw they did show a blood scratch when Misty fell down in the squiritle squad episode. (I think it was that one) I was thinking that pokemon also show like a teenage themed one, like anime shows you would see on adult swim, Bleach, Cowboy bebop, Inuyasha,..ect. I am not saying stop the kid show altogether, more like take on a side project and see how fans would like it. I mean seriously the ANIME needs to grow up..ASH IS NOT TEN...or at least have a spin off to shut me up xD

Mabey just have new characters all together. Just think for a second. Are the greatest japanese animes,(well to an anime fan) kid oriented? I don't think it would hurt. It would also bring in non pokemon fans, who are avid anime fans.

darkpokeball

Beware the Chainsaw Meowth 0.o
    Years
    Actually, let's say they do make it. Imagine the outrage of all the fans. However, I find Ash and his kiddy adventures kind of degrading to the series. It kind of puts a six-year-old label on the Pokemon franchise, so that older gamers often get weird glances. Maybe the spinoff could fix that so that the older gamers wouldn't have to worry about other people thinking that they are complete and total weirdos! Go Go Mighty Mighty Go!

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
    I would say make both. Continue the kiddy adventures of Ash, then the older players or something could go check out a different series that's darker. My ideal series would be where a traveling companion starts at five, then before the end of the series, two of them die. The pokemon would be more dramatic, and be used as weapons for example. Weave in a story around a skeleton that consists of where death of pokemon isn't rare, but isn't common either, main characters are likable, so when they die, they leave an impact, and such. No cursing. Blood minimal. Basically, Pokemon in a dystopian universe.
    Two of the traveling companions die? That happening is even more doubtful then a "darker series". Yes death is apart of the show in few instances, but they aren't going to kill off main cast like that. And they(evil teams) essentially already do use Pokemon as weapons to farther their goals.

Haha that video is a joke! I mean the story is okay, but the live action is terrible. LIVE ACTION NEVER WORKS WITH ANIME. Gore is too extreme, I never meant anything like that, Blood on pokemon is somwhat bad, mabey some blood from the human characters, btw they did show a blood scratch when Misty fell down in the squiritle squad episode. (I think it was that one) I was thinking that pokemon also show like a teenage themed one, like anime shows you would see on adult swim, Bleach, Cowboy bebop, Inuyasha,..ect. I am not saying stop the kid show altogether, more like take on a side project and see how fans would like it. I mean seriously the ANIME needs to grow up..ASH IS NOT TEN...or at least have a spin off to shut me up xD

Mabey just have new characters all together. Just think for a second. Are the greatest japanese animes,(well to an anime fan) kid oriented? I don't think it would hurt. It would also bring in non pokemon fans, who are avid anime fans.
    They have shown injuries with blood, I am content with that but not with goring going out of the way for people to get hurt or injured.

And if they could do a Spin Off and cater more to the teens/older fans and gain a new fanbase I would fully support something like that. Adult Swim would be a great place for that.

Actually, let's say they do make it. Imagine the outrage of all the fans. However, I find Ash and his kiddy adventures kind of degrading to the series. It kind of puts a six-year-old label on the Pokemon franchise, so that older gamers often get weird glances. Maybe the spinoff could fix that so that the older gamers wouldn't have to worry about other people thinking that they are complete and total weirdos! Go Go Mighty Mighty Go!
    Outrage of all the fans? Many fans are open to change, so if this is a step in the right direction I am sure they will take it. This is pending it's a alternate series and the main one still runs. Woah kiddy adventures in pokemon imagine that! Pokemon is primarily for kids even though it is for everyone. If pokemon was labeled so kiddy and it was so much geared to kids why would the sales of the games be so high? People will still think of pokemon in a bad way, their will still be that stigma that it's primarily kid oriented so something like a more mature series won't change that.

Markichuuuuu

YouTube LP'er :3
    Years
    I would cry tears of joy if this happened. A new older character with a dark past or something. Maybe somehow involved with Team Rocket in the first episode but turns on them because of how they treat Pokémon.

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
    Years
    If it's done well, then I'd definitely watch it.

Currently, I'd say manga is a more "mature" version of anime with much better story. If manga is to be made into an anime, that'd literally be the best day of my pokemon supporting "career." (or whatever you want to call it)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back